Great Central Railway news

andyram

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic. These are two super stylish small locos & suspect the Mountsorrel reopening weekend is indeed part of the plan for their visit. They are unlikely to be doing a fast freight with the windcutters!

Hope to be there....

Dava

• 2 weeks later...

This might have been mentioned earlier/elsewhere? but I noticed last week that houses are going up at Woodthorpe whilst attending the Diesel Gala - no doubt they will pack them in right up to the line/railway border and spoil a lovely part of the line for watching/photographing the trains.

That's what developers do. See also the housing built beside the Up platform at Ruddington. Barely enough room left to relay a line through there.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

Its our first weekend back in the UK since returning from Canada on Tuesday, but with so much to do, there was little chance for more than a flying visit to the GCR for the gala event today. This was actually an hour on the earth bank next the new housing estate on Woodthorpe Lane. A handy vantage point, it will doubtless have disappeared before the next gala. Others will have much better photos than mine but here is 45305 in the fine autumn sunshine bursting out from Woodthorpe Bridge.

post-14654-0-50302200-1443988082_thumb.jpg

After returning home in late afternoon I heard another LMS hooter and headed out to Rushcliffe Halt to catch the final returning train on the GCR North. 8F 8274 is on loan and is adding a real touch of mainline steam class to the GCRN which is sometimes a bit challenged in the steam motive power department. I need to ride behind this loco before it departs (along with the Mountsorrel branch reopening soon).

post-14654-0-33791200-1443988116_thumb.jpg

8274 waited a long time to depart and the reason became clear that a ballast train was running south from Ruddington to cross in the loop. In the millions of images created on the GCR over the weekend,  I dont think anyone else caught this or the next scene, of 47 292, 3 ballast wagons and a Shark ballast brake van passing the passenger train. 

post-14654-0-22255300-1443988152_thumb.jpg

post-14654-0-67905800-1443988202_thumb.jpg

This was a delightful little interlude which helped make up for a steamless and near rail-less period in Nova Scotia!

Dava

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

That's what developers do. See also the housing built beside the Up platform at Ruddington. Barely enough room left to relay a line through there.

I've come across this artist's impression produced some years ago of how the GCR beyond Ruddington could be reinstated to the outskirts of Nottingham, is this still feasible now?

http://www.greatcentraltoday.com/gcrn/rudd2.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The trackbed is now long gone north of Clifton Boulevard as it has been used for the tramway from there northwards and, for a short distance, to the south of Clifton Boulevard as well before turning 90º to the West. Ruddington is really the most northerly practical terminus for the railway.

Edit to add you also have Wilwell Farm Cutting Nature Reserve which is on the old trackbed and is an SSSI. This is south of Clifton Boulevard as well.

Edited by Richard E

• RMweb Premium

Just booked tickets online for the Mountsorrel branch reopening, there seem to be plenty available for the Sunday. Apart from the ride there's the Heritage Centre, nature walk & of course photos to take of the shuttle trains...looking forward to it.

Dava

Locos and stock for the Mountsorrel Branch opening confirmed. Info from http://heritage-centre.co.uk/news/railway-opening-weekend-qanda/

The GCR are bringing two locos in for the event. 0-4-0 Pecket “Teddy” http://locoyard.com/2013/08/10/teddy-the-peckett/ named after the rev Teddy Boston of the Cabeby Light Railway fame (Teddy is also very similar to Pecket “Doris” that used to operate at Mountsorrel) and “Colin McAndrew” https://www.flickr.com/photos/23689245@N08/3888550179. Both are fantastic little locos and it is wonderful that they will be here to make history with us!

Also arrived, especially for the opening, is a newly restored suburban coach. The coach belongs to Alan Voase who has spent £100,000 on a complete refurbishment over the past 10 years. The coach is effectively brand new and we are so lucky and grateful that he has made the coach available for use on the branch line. The other coach in the train is the GCR’s Arrowvale observation car. This is a small coach with seating areas at both ends.

Whilst I am sure the Mountsorrel Branch opening is going to a fantastic occasion it is a shame that services are not actually serving any of the main GC stations. I do believe that this is the long term plan however. Perhaps from 2016 we will see a DMU shuttle service linking with the main trains at Rothley station.

• RMweb Premium

I recall the AC Cars railbus restoration was the original idea but that never really progressed. A bubblecar or DMU on routine days and steam hauled branch train on special days would work well. The GWR steam railmotor has yet to visit... What about that NER petrol-electric railcar...?

Dava

• 2 weeks later...

.....Ruddington is really the most northerly practical terminus for the railway.....

...and even that might be a problem, because the developers who put housing on Old Station Drive have encroached onto the formation of the Up line

I can see the householders objecting to the Up line being relaid on the basis that it would come too close to their properties. Reopening Ruddington Station would then limit its usefulness as a terminus since only one platform face (the Down line) could then be used.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

Y7 no. 1310 based at Middleton Railway replaces 'Colin McAndrew' for the Mountsorrel Railway opening weekend.

http://www.mountsorrelrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/opening-weekend-update.html

So, two of my favorite locos running, what a treat! Looking forward to this. Agree with Andy that through trains to GCR will be needed when the line opens fully.

Dava