Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Ok made a start on the mainline 47. No pics yet but only in undercoat so not too much to show in any case. Anyway it was going to be 47523 however I have now decided on this beast.

post-6894-0-30300500-1435310134_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hello Mate, Does this help  47528

T/M connection ~ AP (All Parallel)
Brakes (as built) ~ Metcalfe-Oerlikon - Dual air/vacuum 
Radiators (as built) ~ Serck hydrostatic shutters 
Boiler (as built) ~ Stone-Vapor (UBC)

SCRAPPED

Cut-up ~ Ron Hull Jr, Rotherham ~ June 1st 2008
Depot ~ MM
Pool ~ CRUR
Livery ~ InterCity (Mainline (yellow lower front, white numbers))

02/67
This was the last of the 202 Class 47's built at BR Crewe Works to be outshopped.
02/67 D1111
New to 50A 01/68 to 55B 03/69 to 52A 10/69 to 55B 10/69 to 41A 11/69 to 55A 05/71 to 55B 05/73 to YK 02/74 47 528 01/75 to GD 03/75 to YK 01/82 to GD 11/87 to BR 12/90 to RXLD 04/91 to CD 04/91 to RXLC 03/92 moved to Sector Code Changed 12/95 to DFLT 06/96 to PXLH 10/96 to PXLD 11/96 to LWRC 05/97 to LWCW 10/97 to IM 07/98 allocated to WQ and withdrawn 07/98 to LCYX 12/98 reinstated to WQ 11/02 allocated to WQ and withdrawn 11/02 to WNZX 03/03 reinstated to WQ 11/03 to MM 11/03 to CRUR 09/04 to MM 09/04 to CRUR 03/08 moved to Ron Hull Jr, Rotherham 06/08 disposal by Ron Hull Jr, Rotherham

Ok due to 528 having a square boiler exhaust cover and the donor loco a round one (47474) I've decided on another number change! I could change the cover but its work that I don't have to do really plus the primer and yellow is already on so don't want to have to prime the roof again really. Sooooo now I'm going here instead. Found several pics of this loco around the midlands so is very much  a likely candidate for Burton. I also have the chance to pop snowploughs on too if I fancy it.

post-6894-0-59948500-1435579865_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-97459400-1435579876_thumb.jpg

Not much more progress on the layout as I am still awaiting delivery of some copperclad sleepers for the freight loops, once they have arrived I'll be cracking on in earnest!

• Like 2

Well still no luck on the sleeper front so instead I've made a start on the platform. The main substrate is cut and shaped from 9mm ply which is actually just a tad over 8mm in reality. Taking off the couple or so of mm for the track depth the platform is near as damn it the right level and a lovely firm platform to build onto. Its glued and screwed at the moment to get a good secure fix but once the glue has dried I'll take the screws back out. The platform surface will cover the holes. Its a pretty wide platform at Burton as you can see. I will also lose a fair chunk of track at the station building end too if I model the carpark and road bridge. I do feel it would be more interesting that way though or else it'll just be the station bit poking out at that end. I personally feel that the car park and road will be just as interesting as 7 inch or so of extra track if not more so so I think I'll stick with my plan to model it all. Comments?

post-6894-0-04154400-1436035566_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-06874900-1436035580_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-32286900-1436035594_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 8

I think you should stick with the plan as the car park, station building and road will definitely set the scene as Burton and will add interest as you say. What I will say is, under the bridge add some soft lighting so it gently illuminates the platform as per the prototype. That way it wont seem as if you've lost that seven inches and will bring another dimension to the station. Maybe worth a site visit to do some research as there's some pretty interesting civil engineering under that bridge. Stood under there a few times when waiting to relieve trains. Oh and don't forget the  copious amounts of pigeon poo!

Thanks Marcus I totally agree. I was cosidering lighting under there myself. They need to be very delicately lit I think though. It certainly doesnt want to be bright and shining out onto the rest of the platform. I am planning to have that portion removable for access so building detail under there should be pretty doable. A site visit is defineatly on the cards soon. There are a few things that I can't find any photos of at all. In fact things as simple as what the platform faces look like are beyond google. Being an island platform no one ever photographs them!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Best I can do I'm afraid on the platform front. It does show the basic construction though, which appears to be brick with two layers of concrete blocks on the top. The top course being the special angled blocks to give the platform its edge. Originally I expect it was all brick but Its obviously been rebuilt at some point. 

post-18515-0-71122500-1436088345.jpg

Note the nice bit of bull head rail in the sidings.

Cheers for that Marcus. I expected the platform to be a brick face. As you say though its probably been rebuilt and I would say since the time I'm modelling as the edging seems to have changed over the years looking at photos from the platform top on flickr. Hmm so the question now is do I do it as it is now or do it as I imagine it was but with no reference material? As for the sidings, yes Marcus I have used bullhead in the sidings. I have actually modelled 3 sidings there although nowadays there are only 2. The third being lifted and the pointwork to it although partly still there has had its crossing and blades etc removed. Not sure if the third siding which ran beside the (goods?) Platform was taken out prior to 1990 but I've modelled it in place for extra operational interest with 3 sidings as opposed to 2.

Hi

if you go into the lower car park where the warehouse is now travelodge you will see the platform edge of the short part other side bridge if that helps if I read this 30min ago I could have took some pictures we was staying there.

steve

Cheers Steve, Yes I remember that. I parked in there when I went to DEMU. I hadn't decided to build Burton then, in fact I hadn't even considered building anything except Millers Dale. If I'd started this prior to then I could also have taken some pics!! Sods law eh.

Edited by RBE

Yes I think I'll do brick faces with a slightly deeper couple of courses just under the copers. Having said that the extra depth wont be a fat lot in 2mm scale. Half a brick is only a couple of inches so if I do two courses that are half a mm steps I reckon that should look about right with the copers edge a couple of mm at most forward of the face.

A little pic showing the design I've drawn up for the signal gantry. Should be a nice little feature this. I'm planning on scratch building it in brass, although it will have to be some tight soldering to get it done!

post-6894-0-62835300-1436305214_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

100% working yes. Even the position lights and the stencil for the coalville branch! I've a fair idea how they will work and Im planning to interlock them with the pointwork too.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 2

Well the postman wasn't kind in bringing me my copperclad sleepers but he did drop off some decals for 3TG metals and petroleum and some intercity lining and hst coach branding so has spurred me on with the 47 and 60. Its the first time I've tried the intercity lining decals as I usually just paint the stripes but I'll be interested to see how they turn out, just 3 colours in and its ready for its gloss coat prior to decal fixing. The 60 is a bit father back and has just received its yellow ends. 4 more colours yet for that lad before glossing and decals.

post-6894-0-88854600-1436316905_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Cav,

Phil Eames has done an etch for these in 4mm for Calcutta sidings. Maybe you could ask him to shrink the artwork? Of course, that might take away the fun of scratch building them!

Guy

18392640292_48cd1c4b35_b.jpg

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 2

Cheers for that Guy. I have the artwork done as you see above and could be sent for an etch but cost to have it done would outweigh any advantage I think and tbh it will be pretty easy to solder up from spare etch frame and some brass tube for the shades. The gantry itself is just some more brass profile. I would still have to solder the etches so dont see much of an advantage in this case I don't think.

Cav

Had a good look at the platform when I passed through today. Only half has been rebuilt with the Derby end still consructed of brick. It looked like three courses of corbelling at the top to give the platform its ledge. Also of note half way down, about where the bridge is the platform has a slope on it rising towards the Derby end then levels off again. Trouble is its hard to say how long its been like that.

Cheers Marcus, thats useful. The slope is present on all photos Ive seen, certainly in the period that I'm modelling. I think I'll raise the platform there with some plasticard and form a slight ramp with das clay before I do the platform surface.

Looking at the brick courses I rekon it steps up about 3 to 4 inches. Going on the fact theiry the old imperial 3 inch brick. Something else I noted although they are still a Class A blue brick they have quite alot of red in them.