Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

The 90's looked pretty smart in this livery too. To be honest, I think the Intercity variations were the smartest liveries we've had. Today's liveries are just bland with no thought put in whatsoever. Although I will make an exception for the latest East Coast Virgin liveries as the 91's do look very smart in it.

I think that you are right tbh. Intercity was iconic and still looks fresh even today. Lee's intercity voyager he did not so long back illustrates the point perfectly. Todays liveries are all about advertising a brand, I know intercity was a brand too but it was a livery designed to work with rolling stock and as such kept simple enough to work on almost anything. All of BR's liveries achieved that I think. Triple grey railfrieght being another example. Liveries nowadays look to be conceived as a brand logo and then shoehorned onto the trains as a best fit. BR didn't do that and it shows in the way they adjusted the liveries for certain stock such as intercity on the HSTs, 91's and class 90's which were all a none standard application of the livery to suit the stock. The silver East Coast livery on the 91's do look good though, but again its a well thought out simple design that doesnt try to change the apparent shape of the stock but instead goes with it and lets you 'see' the class 91.

The 47 looks great Cav, I like the Inter City liv and still remember seeing an ex works 47487 the first in Inter City livery at Bristol back in 85. 

550 should look just right once the ploughs are fitted.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I do like swallow too it has to be said. I chose mainline for two reasons on this one. Firstly it is a common livery on parcels and some freight diagrams too as well as passenger work so is a bit more variable. Secondly I didn't have to buy intercity branding and could just use transfers I already had. I will probably treat myself to a swallow one at some point though. Its going to be a 47 heaven. I already have 3 now!!

• Like 1

Just a little update. 60 now approaching completion, dont they look odd without the black windows and doors! 47 has had it chassis base coated in frame dirt ready for the magic. I've decided I dont like frame dirt, it has a green tinge to my eyes, I think I need to pop some red into the tin a give it a good mix.

post-6894-0-35774100-1438328217_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

That 60 is looking great too - Ive just dcc'd and weathered a Buffers ltd edition in Transrail myself. You get a really crisp finish on your resprays - what's the secret? Also, sorry to keep requesting stuff, but would you share your nem compatible DGs when you next do a batch - I had a good search through the Millers Dale thread but couldn't find the ones fitted on your 47. It might just help tip me towards finally replacing the Rapidos on my stock!

Thanks Guys.

The secret is tamiya masking tape and careful application. Nothing too much more really. I'll do a little photo how too when I put the next batch together. Its essentially a narrowed DG tail with a brass rod soldered across to engauge with the NEM. Pretty simple really and makes a hell of a difference to both looks and operation.

• Like 1

Great Job with the loco's Cav. The 47 looks simply awesome and I'm sure the 60 will do to once you've finished it. Not that it doesn't look good already it's just the weathering will really bring it to life. As I've said before with your models it's really hard to tell they are N gauge.

Another stunning job.

Marcus.

Cheers Marcus. I've not had chance to do any modelling lately what with other stuff and my poorly leg. Managed to get a few sleepers down the other night but probably got about 600 or so more to stick down before I can solder on the rails. Then it'll be wiring up and scenics starting!!

Cheers Marcus. I've not had chance to do any modelling lately what with other stuff and my poorly leg. Managed to get a few sleepers down the other night but probably got about 600 or so more to stick down before I can solder on the rails. Then it'll be wiring up and scenics starting!!

Looks superb Cav! One quick question: what do you use to stick down the copper clad sleepers?

Thanks,

Will

Impact adhesive. Spread a thin layer on covering about 5 sleepers length and stick em down. Any more and I find it dries before you have chance to stick em on.

Edited by RBE

Dunno buddy. I've had whats started off as sciatica back in January and its just got worse and worse. Back then it just stopped me sitting for a while but now I cant sit at all without ridiculous pain and now it even hurts standing up. I'm under the physio and the doc, just been for an MRI but its getting tobthe point where you feel like having it off!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok after a short break due to my ever increasing severe back pain I've gritted my teeth and done some more track. This time I've put down my copper clads and soldered flatbottom on to represent the flatbottom on timber used for the freight loops at Burton on Trent. I have never actually hand soldered plain track as finescale flexi has always proven a friend in that respect but I was keen to try it on here and I must say that although a tad tedious it is nowhere near as tedious as I expected it would be. I also like the finished look as well. I tried to finish the lot tonight but the back and leg became so painful I couldn't continue. I am 100% committed to getting the track finished and dropper wires on this week so that I can start scenics next weekend!

post-6894-0-08178000-1440361251_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-43952600-1440361294_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-63705500-1440361309_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-77324800-1440361324_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 12

Thanks guys. The flow like that can only be achieved by handbuilding the track. I couldn't imagine having my hands tied with fixed geometry track any more. Sure, it goes down quick but whats the rush. Handbuilt track looks so much better.