Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian J. said:

Is it reasonable to assume that none got into BR(S) green as they'd have been withdrawn before that process got to them? So they would have finished their lives in a maroon of some kind, or if withdrawn early in BR days then in an SR green, albeit with BR numbers and lettering?

July 1959 is the latest probable date I've found for green 58 footers - in Michael Welch's 'Southern Coaches in Colour', first plate after the introduction page. 

It's a colour photo of green S2626S and S4654S (brake third Dia. 98 and composite lavatory dia. 285) at Evercreech Junction on 22nd July 1958, the caption stating that both were withdrawn a year later (one assumes still in green?).  Both coaches look like they're in BR numbered and lettered re-varnished SR malachite.  I feel sure I've read elsewhere that was actually the case, rather than them being in BR (SR) green, but try as I might I can't find the reference in any of my other books.  Whatever, it does at least confirm that these two 58 footers were in green at least 10 years, most likely 11 years, into BR ownership.  Unfortunately one of them is a diagram of 58 footer that Hornby haven't made.

Pete T.

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, PJT said:

July 1959 is the latest probable date I've found for green 58 footers - in Michael Welch's 'Southern Coaches in Colour', first plate after the introduction page. 

It's a colour photo of green S2626S and S4654S (brake third Dia. 98 and composite lavatory dia. 285) at Evercreech Junction on 22nd July 1958, the caption stating that both were withdrawn a year later (one assumes still in green?).  Both coaches look like they're in BR numbered and lettered re-varnished SR malachite.  I feel sure I've read elsewhere that was actually the case, rather than them being in BR (SR) green, but try as I might I can't find the reference in any of my other books.  Whatever, it does at least confirm that these two 58 footers were in green at least 10 years, most likely 11 years, into BR ownership.  Unfortunately one of them is a diagram of 58 footer that Hornby haven't made.

Pete T.

Given that Southern Region green only arrived in 1956, the idea that these venerable hand-me-downs would have been through the paint shop in the first two years is implausible. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, trevor7598 said:

Lav 3rd 320 arrived on the Bluebell Railway in green with BR style numbering as S 320 S.

It's a long time ago, but the shade of green didn't jar the eye from what was running on the Southern at the time.

Revarnishing had the effect of darkening the base colour and as the Southern Railway / region didn't repaint things unless it really needed it (preferring to add another coat of varnish where possible) . As such a heavily revarnished and weather worn Malachite Green could easily end up looking very much like BR(S) green.

• Agree 2