Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately those big SMOKING / NON-SMOKING labels were very short lived ( and probably incorrect for most of Hornby's Maunsell corridor stock ) being replaced by nothing / small triangular labels respectively before Nationalisation. The NON-SMOKING triangles were white with red lettering & surround in Southern days but the B.R. version reversed the colours and slightly 'squashed' the shape so it was no longer - or at least less - equilateral. B.R. labels are available from most of the railway transfer suppliers but the S.R. version are not. ( and that's an emphatic full stop : don't ask me why nobody makes them - but they don't.)

To remove the Hornby window labelling, place a tiny drip of SuperStrip in each window in turn using a pipette or similar then remove after a few minutes with a cottonwool bud ...... once you've done a couple you'll figure out how long you need to leave them : rinse and dry the whole thing once you've finished - or IMMEDIATELY if you over-do the SuperStrip !

The 'big' SMOKING/NON SMOKING labels were introduced in the early thirties to replace the earlier, etched SMOKING labels. The triangular version was, I think, introduced by Bulleid for new stock to his designs. From photos, it would seem that the 'big' labels were only fixed to the quarterlight to the right of the door, not to all quarterlights as Hornby have done. Removing those on the left quarterlight would, I think, improve the appearance considerably by taking away the 'cluttered' effect.

Seeing this post bumped again has reminded me, going back to the derailing issue, I haven't had a derailing issue from the carriages in ages now, I don't know if a bit of plastic that was causing the issue has been worn down by the wheels or what but it seems to have resolved itself. (I bet next time I go to run them now they'll derail to spite me ;) )

• Like 1

The 'big' SMOKING/NON SMOKING labels were introduced in the early thirties to replace the earlier, etched SMOKING labels. The triangular version was, I think, introduced by Bulleid for new stock to his designs. From photos, it would seem that the 'big' labels were only fixed to the quarterlight to the right of the door, not to all quarterlights as Hornby have done. Removing those on the left quarterlight would, I think, improve the appearance considerably by taking away the 'cluttered' effect.

Whether or not you consider the 2HAL units to be an early Bulleid design or a Bulleid-influenced late Maunsell deign is immaterial but the triangular 'NOSMO KING' labels were ( first ? ) carried by them before the first 'true' Bulleid - loco hauled - coaches appeared. Conversely his pre-war refurbished Maunsell stock seems to have carried the earlier style though they were finished in the new 'malachite' green !

post-24481-0-54927400-1487088460.jpg

With reference to the smoking / no smoking transfers used by the Southern Railway, it is quite right that it was normal

for them only to be affixed on the right hand quarter light , the left hand one being left plain.

Having said that the only half decent image I could find of the Bulleid type, shows them on both quarter lights.

When the Bulleid type was introduced, there was not a smoking equivalent, the inference being you could smoke

everywhere in the train except in those compartments designated ' no smoking '.

I personally would prefer Hornby to use the Bulleid type in the forthcoming ' malachite ' LSW re-build's.

Incidentally the Bulleid type had red lettering on a white background

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up to anyone thats had issues with these coaches 'dragging' and not running freely. I've found the problem.

A customer came to me yesterday with a full rake to try and 'free up' as they basically didn't roll at all, more stopped immediately when pushed. And certain smaller lesser powered locos couldn't handle more than two or three at a time on his layout. 

I'll add some before/after pictures once I've modified them, but basically the brake blocks are nearly ALL in contact with the wheel treads when on the track, on some bogies all were, thus preventing free rolling. This is quite unusual in 4mm as the brakes correctly line up with the wheels, but the clearance is not sufficient by at least 1mm. Effectively meaning the brakes were hard on in a scale format which I haven't come across before! This issue is disguised by the fact that when you turn them upside down and spin the wheels, they fall downwards slightly free of the brakes, making you think they don't touch, but when on the track they do. 

So, just to make sure I removed the brake block moulding entirely to prove this was the issue (it can be prised off the bogie in one piece with a flat bladed screwdriver after removing the wheels) and sure enough, the bogies roll perfectly without the brake rigging in situ. No issues with wheelsets/bearings at all, purely the binding brakes.

I'm not a steam era modeller myself but these are really lovely coaches, genuinely nice. But how this particular fault got past Hornby quality control baffles me, It's spectacularly easy to test if a coach rolls or not. Possibly some shrinkage in the plastic at some stage, but whatever the cause I'll post pics on how to fix it in the next couple of weeks as I know lots of you have been having trouble. 

Alex

Edited by Lochnagar

Just checked mine in each case it was caused by the brake shoes rubbing on the wheels, pulling them off allowed the wheels to spin freely. I didn't mind anyway it gave the coaches a bit of inertia.

Think I used invisible ink.

Just a heads up to anyone thats had issues with these coaches 'dragging' and not running freely. I've found the problem.

A customer came to me yesterday with a full rake to try and 'free up' as they basically didn't roll at all, more stopped immediately when pushed. And certain smaller lesser powered locos couldn't handle more than two or three at a time on his layout. 

I'll add some before/after pictures once I've modified them, but basically the brake blocks are nearly ALL in contact with the wheel treads when on the track, on some bogies all were, thus preventing free rolling. This is quite unusual in 4mm as the brakes correctly line up with the wheels, but the clearance is not sufficient by at least 1mm. Effectively meaning the brakes were hard on in a scale format which I haven't come across before! This issue is disguised by the fact that when you turn them upside down and spin the wheels, they fall downwards slightly free of the brakes, making you think they don't touch, but when on the track they do. 

So, just to make sure I removed the brake block moulding entirely to prove this was the issue (it can be prised off the bogie in one piece with a flat bladed screwdriver after removing the wheels) and sure enough, the bogies roll perfectly without the brake rigging in situ. No issues with wheelsets/bearings at all, purely the binding brakes.

I'm not a steam era modeller myself but these are really lovely coaches, genuinely nice. But how this particular fault got past Hornby quality control baffles me, It's spectacularly easy to test if a coach rolls or not. Possibly some shrinkage in the plastic at some stage, but whatever the cause I'll post pics on how to fix it in the next couple of weeks as I know lots of you have been having trouble. 

Alex

Please publish the photos of your solution. I had wondered about this but as my layout is only 11 feet long and the two coach set I use would move OK with a Kernow/DJM O2, I had not pursued it further. Recently I dragged out of deep storage 17 Maunsell coaches in preparation for the impending arrival of the Hornby 21C1 Channel Packet Merchant Navy and a ceremonial run on a local Hobby Shop 93 foot large dog-bone loop layout to show off to my fellow North American modelers.  I noticed how free these regular Maunsell coaches ran in comparison to the rebuilt set and wondered what the problem was. I was about to peruse all 29 pages of this thread to see if there was an earlier analysis and fix. 

• Like 2

Alex

It baffles me how this fault got past the magazine reviewers as well. Do they test the rolling stock?
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It baffles me how this fault got past the magazine reviewers as well. Do they test the rolling stock?

Probably because it does not affect all versions as mine run quite freely and they can only review what is in front of them.

• Like 1

Probably because it does not affect all versions as mine run quite freely and they can only review what is in front of them.

I have got eight: one of each type and they are all very stiff. I had planned to run some sandpaper between the wheels and the brake shoes but I will be interested to see Lochnagar's solution. I wonder if Hornby will sort out the problem before their next batch of Southern malachite green and BR crimson coaches arrive.

• RMweb Gold

I have got eight: one of each type and they are all very stiff. I had planned to run some sandpaper between the wheels and the brake shoes but I will be interested to see Lochnagar's solution. I wonder if Hornby will sort out the problem before their next batch of Southern malachite green and BR crimson coaches arrive.

My pair were stiff runners and the brakes weren't dragging; all sorted now, though.

Not sure what went wrong with these as the bogies originated with the Maunsell corridor stock. I have quite a few (!) of those, all of which ran superbly from the start.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Like Graham's, my four are all free-running. It seems to be the luck of the draw as to how well they run.

• RMweb Gold

Like Graham's, my four are all free-running. It seems to be the luck of the draw as to how well they run.

Perhaps at this point I should declare an interest.The coaches....4X Southern Railway (from Hattons last August) and 2X BR crimson (Waltons of Altrincham two weeks later) are mine.All challenge whatever hauling power I choose. Alex dismantled a bogie last Tuesday when I took them to him.Quite clearly the brake blocks are holding in the "on" position.Remove them and the wheel sets are free running.Luck of the draw....maybe.Mine came from two different retailers.Binding brakes there most certainly are.Problem exists.If you're lucky ...fine.I am not.Alex (Lochnagar) is nimble fingered and resourceful. If anyone can sort it,he can.Watch this space.

Perhaps at this point I should declare an interest.The coaches....4X Southern Railway (from Hattons last August) and 2X BR crimson (Waltons of Altrincham two weeks later) are mine.All challenge whatever hauling power I choose. Alex dismantled a bogie last Tuesday when I took them to him.Quite clearly the brake blocks are holding in the "on" position.Remove them and the wheel sets are free running.Luck of the draw....maybe.Mine came from two different retailers.Binding brakes there most certainly are.Problem exists.If you're lucky ...fine.I am not.Alex (Lochnagar) is nimble fingered and resourceful. If anyone can sort it,he can.Watch this space.

I don't think anyone doubts the problem exists. It was in response to Robin's post questioning how such a fault escaped the reviewers that some of us pointed out it didn't apply to all of the models.

I will be as interested as anybody in what the fixes are, since the fault could affect me at some time in the future if I buy more of these coaches, or possibly other, as yet unannounced coaches using the same bogies.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think anyone doubts the problem exists. It was in response to Robin's post questioning how such a fault escaped the reviewers that some of us pointed out it didn't apply to all of the models.

I will be as interested as anybody in what the fixes are, since the fault could affect me at some time in the future if I buy more of these coaches, or possibly other, as yet unannounced coaches using the same bogies.

There shouldn't be any problem with these bogies - they are ostensibly the same as those fitted to the Maunsell corridors, of which all mine run faultlessly.

I can only conclude that there was a production issue with a batch of them that, hopefully, will not be repeated. Mine responded to a bit of careful fettling - Ed's Tool and a few drops of lubrication, though I have since fitted Romford wheels, too. Others seem to have required attention to the brake blocks.

John   

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Do 'we' have any news on if/when Hornby might do a release of these in some shade of green but for BR(S)? I'm thinking mainly of the D98 two car sets, but some of the others for loose work could be useful too, if they appeared in green with BR(S) numbering late in their lives.

• RMweb Gold

Do 'we' have any news on if/when Hornby might do a release of these in some shade of green but for BR(S)? I'm thinking mainly of the D98 two car sets, but some of the others for loose work could be useful too, if they appeared in green with BR(S) numbering late in their lives.

They never wore green in Southern Region days. They kept SR green (probably with many coats of varnish) until they were painted maroon. 

• RMweb Premium

They never wore green in Southern Region days. They kept SR green (probably with many coats of varnish) until they were painted maroon. 

Er...there's a picture on Hornby's website in their blog (https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/stop-press-ex-lswr-48-maunsell-rebuilt-58-coaches/) that show a set in green in 1958. It may not be Southern Region green, but the carriages definitely have BR(S) numbering.

Edited by Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

No - so start e-mailing Hornby for their inclusion in the 2018 or 2019 release programme, or buy the Malachite versions being released this year and remove all the SR decals in favour of BR(S) ones.

As an aside its pointless asking this type of question -  Hornby have all their current releases up on display on their website. If its not there it isn't being made / is available in the current calender year.

Edited by phil-b259