Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

Ah yes, forgot these aren't corridor coached... doh!

So for BCK, read BCL and BTK read BTL, would that be correct?

Edit:

Would L stand for Lavatory?

Which is why I was talking generically about the SR sets. Of course, Hornby have released matching pairs of coaches to form sets with the ex-LSWR coaches, as Chris K-T has listed.

• Like 1

the TLs were mainly 'loose' and the BTLs were in 2-sets but Hornby don't make the matching coach (56ft LSWR).  A couple did become loose in later life.

Perhaps some enterprising 3D printer will recognize the need for the 56 ft ex LSWR stock and undertake to print these so I can finally have an accurate set for Padstow-Bodmin locals. Hint, Hint?

I wouldn't bet on of these coaches coming from Hornby/Oxford. Kernow might go for the idea but my demise will probably come sooner than fruition from that source.

Edited by autocoach
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Never noticed how stiff my Maunsells were until this evening whilst testing Kadees my Well Tank was sticking pulling just two.

Looking at the wheels I decided I could do without brake shoes so off they came on one set, nice and free running now, maybe too much but we'll see

Edited by woodenhead
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Never noticed how stiff my Maunsells were until this evening whilst testing Kadees my Well Tank was sticking pulling just two.

Looking at the wheels I decided I could do without brake shoes so off they came on one set, nice and free running now, maybe too much but we'll see

I found that the axles on these coaches are only 25.7mm long. Inserting a 26mm axle meant it locked up. Happily an earlier contributor found that if you removed the centre rubber friction wheel from the DCC bearing reamers, he could still remove enough material to allow free wheel movement.

I think the brakes could be rebuilt in a more suitable location. More often now these RTR brakes are easily removed and reinstated wider.

seanmcs

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Would anyone know of a source of information in relation to sets sets -7-21, 51-54/56, 57-62, 127, 128, and 132 in relation to the coach and diagram numbers and also the livery and if possible where they operated. I am looking to buy some and then renumber for that used on the Castle man's corkscrew and Salisbury line. Whilst you can clearly see them in photos, its not possible to see either the set or coach numbers. 

Unfortunately these sets are not covered in the wonderful work by the Southern email group which has a great spreadsheet on SR coaches.

Any help really appreciated. 

Duncan

Would anyone know of a source of information in relation to sets sets -7-21, 51-54/56, 57-62, 127, 128, and 132 in relation to the coach and diagram numbers and also the livery and if possible where they operated. I am looking to buy some and then renumber for that used on the Castle man's corkscrew and Salisbury line. Whilst you can clearly see them in photos, its not possible to see either the set or coach numbers. 

Unfortunately these sets are not covered in the wonderful work by the Southern email group which has a great spreadsheet on SR coaches.

Duncan

For more information on Maunsell coaches you are strongly advised to read the master work on this subject - the book "Maunsell's S.R. Steam Passenger Stock 1923-1939 by David Gould published by the Oakwood Press first edition published 1978 no ISBN".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Duncan

For more information on Maunsell coaches you are strongly advised to read the master work on this subject - the book "Maunsell's S.R. Steam Passenger Stock 1923-1939 by David Gould published by the Oakwood Press first edition published 1978 no ISBN".

The  Oakwood press book will not be any help in this instance as the sets quoted by Duncan were ex LSWR sets not Maunsell coaches.  You will need to refer  to the book LSWR Carriages in the 20th Century by the Late Gordon Weddell for further information. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for the replies , I am assuming it would be the elusive volume 2 which would be best?

It would be, yes. You won't find complete set numbers for all carriages, though. Those records just don't exist to that degree of completeness. You will find a few set numbers where they've been uncovered by the author, and Set 61 at least is mentioned (56ft composites).

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all

Anyone know how to remove the bogies on these coaches?

I have one of these coaches where the close coupling unit has become stiff, which leads to derailments on curves.

Without removing the bogie I can't see what's going on.

I've already knocked the footboards off with my banana fingers:cry:

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Well I got the bogie off fairly easy but there is no obvious cure for the sticky CCU.

The floor above it is bowed downwards and restricts the vertical movement of the CCU somewhat.

No sure what can be done about it.

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

I've had a similar problem several times with Bachmann coaches - both loco-hauled and 4CEP coaches. The CCM gets stuck and the way to deal with it is from above which means removing the body to do so. Never had this problem with the Hornby Maunsell coaches so I don't know whether the same will apply. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
27 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Did they get into green in BR ownership?

Not many, but apparently some did.

It has also been suggested that in early BR days a number also ran in re-varnished SR malachite with BR numbers and lettering.  This would have been a darker shade of green than pure malachite and very similar to the BR(S) green that Hornby have used for their other Maunsell stock.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, bude_branch said:

This would have been a darker shade of green than pure malachite and very similar to the BR(S) green that Hornby have used for their other Maunsell stock.

The green used by Hornby for malachite stock and BR(S) stock appears to be exactly the same. My renumbered ones certainly don't stand out against the original malachite.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, bude_branch said:

It has also been suggested that in early BR days a number also ran in re-varnished SR malachite with BR numbers and lettering.  This would have been a darker shade of green than pure malachite and very similar to the BR(S) green that Hornby have used for their other Maunsell stock.

I think its a bit more than just a suggestion. Theres been some photographic and film evidence to support that. 

14 hours ago, bude_branch said:

Lav 3rd 320 arrived on the Bluebell Railway in green with BR style numbering as S 320 S.

It's a long time ago, but the shade of green didn't jar the eye from what was running on the Southern at the time.

• RMweb Premium

Is it reasonable to assume that none got into BR(S) green as they'd have been withdrawn before that process got to them? So they would have finished their lives in a maroon of some kind, or if withdrawn early in BR days then in an SR green, albeit with BR numbers and lettering?