Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

• RMweb Premium

I have just started to update a brake third to BR condition.  I have discovered that the window markings can be removed with the tip of a cocktail stick and leaves little if any residual marks if done carefully. 

I have just started to update a brake third to BR condition.  I have discovered that the window markings can be removed with the tip of a cocktail stick and leaves little if any residual marks if done carefully. 

Question, do you put anything on the cocktail stick?

• RMweb Premium

Answer, no.  Make sure they are decent quality ones with sharp pointy tips though!

This is the result of a hour or two's work:

post-6910-0-50233300-1475355481_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-75339100-1475355484_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-48447200-1475355487_thumb.jpg

The cocktail stick works on the external markings as well I have discovered just like Bachmann loco and coach numbers, easily removed with a little care.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Any takers?

Presumably 'E' means they were Exeter-based and they were - relatively temporary - 4-car formations of Dia.99 Brake Thirds and Dia.418 Lavatory Brake Composite ( sets 42-46 ) with a coupe of Dia.31 Lavatory Thirds added [ maybe just for the sumer timetable(s)] : as always photos would be needed to determine exact formation ...... and a healthy dose of pure guesswork for the exact TLs used in each case, I'd imagine.

Many Thanks for your input

Cheers 

Bob C

Answer, no.  Make sure they are decent quality ones with sharp pointy tips though!

attachicon.gifS2626Sa.jpg

attachicon.gifS2626Sb.jpg

attachicon.gifS2626Sc.jpg

The cocktail stick works on the external markings as well I have discovered just like Bachmann loco and coach numbers, easily removed with a little care.

Shame the white painted lavvy windows aren't anywhere as easy to tackle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone found any evidence any of these in either rebuilt or original shorter form ever entered departmental service at any time at all?

A quick look through L.S.W.R. Coaches Vol.1 suggests  -  without checking EXACT varieties of original coaches that ONE shortie entered departmental service as did TWO rebuilds : though the latter were 'chassis only' so not a lot of use for modelling EXCEPT that significant numbers of bodies ( original and rebuilt ) were grounded all over the place !

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Does anyone know if these coaches would have run on the ilfracombe line in the BR era? If so what would be a suitable loco?

Thanks

ID

Without searching through loads of photos, I'd say the answer's 'quite likely' ! ......... we've established - somewhere above this - that there were sets based at Exeter and, well, where did Southern trains go to from Exeter ??!?

Standard motive power for the line was generally N class or M7 - or Light Pacific for heavier workings ( that's workings that might only get heavier later, of course ) ........ the appropriate Middleton Press volume should give an idea of what was running.

• RMweb Gold

Just run it ID. It's your trainset and Rule 1 applies. This hobby is all about the enjoyment you get out of it.

I would say a 700 and these coaches would be a very pleasant ensemble. A T9 would be especially pleasant, narrow splashers of course and quite prototypical of the area. Whilst I do like the watercart tender, the six wheeler does appeal.

Go on....I dare you....

Rob.

I enjoy running mine with my 700  :) while I do largely try and keep to at least a basic form of historical accuracy on my layout, I am enforcing a lot of 'Rule 1' having them on the Brighton-Eastbourne route...  But until the Birdcages come out I don't have much choice for a variety of rtr SR rolling stock.

post-29051-0-84725000-1482499747_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-05501000-1482499749_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-42236400-1482499750_thumb.jpg

Edit: they're usually coupled with my M7, I haven't thought to try them with the T9, I don't use it very often, it's driving wheels are terrible for slipping off the rails, even on radius 3.

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 2

I enjoy running mine with my 700  :) while I do largely try and keep to at least a basic form of historical accuracy on my layout, I am enforcing a lot of 'Rule 1' having them on the Brighton-Eastbourne route...  But until the Birdcages come out I don't have much choice for a variety of rtr SR rolling stock.

attachicon.gif20161223_132159.jpg

attachicon.gif20161223_132317.jpg

attachicon.gif20161223_132345.jpg

Edit: they're usually coupled with my M7, I haven't thought to try them with the T9, I don't use it very often, it's driving wheels are terrible for slipping off the rails, even on radius 3.

I applaud your aim for historic accuracy, nicely illustrated by the EMU in the carriage sidings. We all have to make do with what we have

• RMweb Premium

I enjoy running mine with my 700 :) while I do largely try and keep to at least a basic form of historical accuracy on my layout, I am enforcing a lot of 'Rule 1' having them on the Brighton-Eastbourne route... But until the Birdcages come out I don't have much choice for a variety of rtr SR rolling stock.

20161223_132159.jpg

20161223_132317.jpg

20161223_132345.jpg

Have you investigated the T9 threads on here?

There was a well reported problem with the Bogor fixing mount standing slightly proud this forcing the from driving rails to be lifted away front he track. Options to resolve this were either to trim back the bogie fixing pin pr to cut out a recess under the smokebox for the top of the pin to fit into - both methods allowing the driving wheels to remain in full contact with the rails

Merry Christmas,

Stupid question time:

The SR rebuilds of LSWR steam bodies onto SR underframes ( as new Hornby coaches) have a triangular fillet as the underframe was wider than the bodies. However the 2 NOL units, again second hand LSWR bodies on the standards EMU underframe were without the fillet. Were the frames different widths?

I'm bashing a 2 NOL using some 20 year old ( at least) white metal ends and tri-ang clerestory bodies....

I was hoping to use some parkside roof sections from the BY van, but the are a tad too wide (fixable) but a bit to high and not quite flat enough on top. Any suggestions?

Merry Christmas,

Stupid question time:

The SR rebuilds of LSWR steam bodies onto SR underframes ( as new Hornby coaches) have a triangular fillet as the underframe was wider than the bodies. However the 2 NOL units, again second hand LSWR bodies on the standards EMU underframe were without the fillet. Were the frames different widths?

I'm bashing a 2 NOL using some 20 year old ( at least) white metal ends and tri-ang clerestory bodies....

I was hoping to use some parkside roof sections from the BY van, but the are a tad too wide (fixable) but a bit to high and not quite flat enough on top. Any suggestions?

Hi.  Roxey mouldings provides formed plastic rooves. Need trimming to length and width but fit Hornby Clerestory bodies perfectly.

Roger

Ratio bogie van B roofs were available from Peco at £4 each when I needed several last year - less joining required for the longer coaches.

Jon

Thanks for the advice on the various roof sections available.  I think I'll get some Ration Van B Sections.  Meanwhile I thought I'd try a 'bodge it and scarper' dry run.  A 56' Brake Third would be attempted. 

I added an extra set of doors, shown here before the curved ends are cut off:- 

post-2484-0-79974100-1482767094_thumb.jpg

As a rough and ready model I thought Id try and reduce the height of the parkside roof sections.  A boxing day walk allowed me to think through the various options.  One solution would be to make a miniature saw bench to allow a precision cut.  Looking around when I got home I found that I could rest my rotary tool against the side of my work table and slide the roof along the blade:

post-2484-0-27276200-1482767713_thumb.jpg

A piece of mounting board raised the roof to allow a slice to be cut from each side.  Easier said that done, two passes took off what seemed like the right amount.  Excuse the plastic dust.  See the difference below

post-2484-0-63831000-1482767866_thumb.jpg

I also had to remove the small raised lip to locate the original roof.  Here with the reduced section in place:

post-2484-0-56184500-1482768159_thumb.jpg

Now to compare my 'cows ear' with a Hornby 'silk purse':

post-2484-0-76278200-1482768291_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-87314800-1482768299_thumb.jpg

Just need to reduce the height of another roof section to make the full length roof.  I plan to use the Tri-ang long screw to secure the roof.

• Like 3

At the Radial trials at the first floor of the stables. Godlingston Manor, Swanage the maximum load for the Hornby Radial was six ex LSWR coaches compared with six Hornby Maunsells and five Bachmann Bulleids. The maximum load for the Oxfordrail Radial was four ex LSWR coaches compared with six Hornby Maunsells. This does not present a serious problem to me as I am only running two to four coaches with the Radials. It does mean that the Oxfordrail Radial is operating at full capacity with four ex LSWR coaches so it may shorten the life of the motor and the gears.

When reviewing rolling stock I would like the magazines to mention their free running ability and whether they are prone to derailments. Often this will be of academic interest as the rolling stock will have sold out long before people are able to see the review. 

I have R4746 and R4747. Both run freely with no issues at all over Setrack, with no derailments, either pushed or pulled, including over pointwork, although it did take some lubrication and plenty of running to get them really loose. My Oxford Adams Radials pull them happily; my 02 will pull one but struggles a bit with both.

Edited by AndyG

attachicon.gifS2626Sa.jpg

attachicon.gifS2626Sb.jpg

attachicon.gifS2626Sc.jpg

Thanks for a good tip.

I has a go with the end of a steel rule (crude I'm afraid, but that's me...), but hopefully some refined work with a stick will finish it off.  Thinking about some 'varnishy' weathering, southern style. 

post-2484-0-21254300-1483739339_thumb.jpg

What are the suggested sources for the BR lettering etc.  Do I really need to remove the 'stickers' from the windows?

Thanks,

Has anyone found any evidence any of these in either rebuilt or original shorter form ever entered departmental service at any time at all?

I've increased my coach library of late. I think some similar coaches ended up in the lancing belle. Plus others as instruction coaches for a short time. PM me if you would like more detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for a good tip.

I has a go with the end of a steel rule (crude I'm afraid, but that's me...), but hopefully some refined work with a stick will finish it off.  Thinking about some 'varnishy' weathering, southern style. 

attachicon.gifIMG_9970.JPG

What are the suggested sources for the BR lettering etc.  Do I really need to remove the 'stickers' from the windows?

Thanks,

Unfortunately those big SMOKING / NON-SMOKING labels were very short lived ( and probably incorrect for most of Hornby's Maunsell corridor stock ) being replaced by nothing / small triangular labels respectively before Nationalisation. The NON-SMOKING triangles were white with red lettering & surround in Southern days but the B.R. version reversed the colours and slightly 'squashed' the shape so it was no longer - or at least less - equilateral. B.R. labels are available from most of the railway transfer suppliers but the S.R. version are not. ( and that's an emphatic full stop : don't ask me why nobody makes them - but they don't.)

To remove the Hornby window labelling, place a tiny drip of SuperStrip in each window in turn using a pipette or similar then remove after a few minutes with a cottonwool bud ...... once you've done a couple you'll figure out how long you need to leave them : rinse and dry the whole thing once you've finished - or IMMEDIATELY if you over-do the SuperStrip !

Edited by Wickham Green

• 3 weeks later...