The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Every little helps

martin_wynne

Reminds me of my eldest daughter who has worked at Tesco since she left school - so it is 25+ years ago now - Tesco made her a payment they owed her, not into her wages but as a cheque. Value was £0.01p, and she paid it into her bank account!

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Spend it wisely

OK, I'll admit to shopping in Tesco - occasional slumming it ;)

Anyone beat this one?

tesco.jpg

Evidently I should have shopped at Lidl

Not got a photo of it, but I have had a £10 one, the maximum amount. Would have been interesting to know just how much it would have been. 

I think they have the marketing potential all wrong. They should indicate on the receipt all the items that went to make up the saving - then I'd go back and buy some more. I'm not wasting time and petrol visiting the other store to find out which store was selling baked beans - I'd just go round again and stock up on baked beans from ... Tesco. I've had another look t the items purchased and cannot fathom how the total saving was reached ... nothing particularly expensive, several items already on BOGOF; 3 for £4; several Tesco own brand and most items under £1 (the seemingly Tesco default price).

• RMweb Premium

Looking at it from the other side.

When we got rid of 1 cent & 2 cent pieces in Australia, normally you round the total down by 1 or 2 cents if it was 1,2,6 or 7 and up by 1 or 2 cents if 3,4, 8 or 9 cents, which on average balances out. Obviously, only counts if paying cash.

This skinflint was on national TV, current affairs type show. When he went through the supermarket check out, he paid for the 1,2,6 & 7 cent ending items individually, thus getting the rounding off benefit. He also put together 3,4,8 & 9 cent ending items, until they added up to a 1,2,6 or 7 cent amount, then paid for that group/pair separately. So for his total shop, he saved about 20 cents.

But of course the queue behind him, was a mile long and he'd been doing this for weeks. It was gently pointed out to the particular independent supermarket owner, that they could actually legally refuse to sell in that manner. Some people have way, too much time on their hands.

• RMweb Gold

I think they have the marketing potential all wrong. They should indicate on the receipt all the items that went to make up the saving - then I'd go back and buy some more. I'm not wasting time and petrol visiting the other store to find out which store was selling baked beans - I'd just go round again and stock up on baked beans from ... Tesco. I've had another look t the items purchased and cannot fathom how the total saving was reached ... nothing particularly expensive, several items already on BOGOF; 3 for £4; several Tesco own brand and most items under £1 (the seemingly Tesco default price).

Ah - you have to play the game Kenton (and there are several of them with Tesco).  Firstly because we have a local Waitrose, plus others not far away, we only do part of our shopping at Tesco and we don't buy certain things there (e.g most meats although their bacon is good), secondly we buy items we are likely to need in future when they are on multi-buy offers and not, if we can avoid it, at their normal price.  This also means we get regular vouchers from them for stuff we buy regularly so we can sometimes get reductions on reduced prices, and we also get vouchers we can convert in value (upwards) depending on how they are spent.

The £X.xx 'off your next shop' is no more than a gimmick - but we don't throw them away ;)

I don't think they actually calculate it from competitors prices. I think it's a based on their margin on the items bought, the total spend, and your shopping history from clubcard. Anyone from Tescos who works with their IT who can refute this?

I don't think they actually calculate it from competitors prices. I think it's a based on their margin on the items bought, the total spend, and your shopping history from clubcard. Anyone from Tescos who works with their IT who can refute this?

I work for Tesco, though not with that bit of the IT system, and it is based on competitor's prices but i'm not allowed to reveal the details. Don't forget that Tesco customers can also benefit from Clubcard Fuel Save and get up to 20p/litre discount on petrol/diesel.

• RMweb Premium

Sainsbury's also do these vouchers and I don't have a Nectar card. They compare prices with Asda but it only covers branded goods, which I don't buy a lot of, and mainly when on offer. I shop for different goods at several supermarkets, Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Asda, Lidl, Aldi and Iceland. They each have things they are particularly good for. I avoid Tesco.

Pete

I work for Tesco, though not with that bit of the IT system, and it is based on competitor's prices but i'm not allowed to reveal the details. Don't forget that Tesco customers can also benefit from Clubcard Fuel Save and get up to 20p/litre discount on petrol/diesel.

MRDA

• RMweb Premium

In 1980 - 81 I used to be a "milk boy", helping the local milkman. One customer used to have 7 pints a week, totalling £1.295 (dunno how to type 0.5p as a fraction...). Come every saturday he always used to pay £1-30, and as we walked to get the change from the milkman he'd call out "Ha'penny Change....". And so we nicknamed him thus.

And we'd always take our time getting the change back to him. Especially in winter, as he stood at the door waiting for his precious ha'penny. With all the heat disappearing into the street. That'll teach the tight b'stard, we thought.... :)

polybear

• RMweb Premium

I quite often find that I have supposedly "saved" on my shopping from Tesco, and they state how much. More often than not, though I could have been cheaper elsewhere so get one of the 'Your shopping could have been cheaper elsewhere' tickets. 

When I get one of the second ones, I do feel that I have been overcharged

Regards

Ian

Tesco customers can also benefit from Clubcard Fuel Save and get up to 20p/litre discount on petrol/diesel.

Assuming the "discount" is worth the time and fuel to drive many miles out of your way to find a Tesco garage.

Am I alone in believing that all these "gimmicks" are a load of hogwash and would rather see honest and open pricing?

Today's shop another £3.77 off and on a spend of less than £35 (even less as I used the last voucher). Even looking at one item (most were "fresh")

- peppers - needed 4, bought 2 packs of 3 and we will dispose of the horrible bitter green ones in the composter. Individual price 60p each and pack price of 99p (why not make it £1 like they do everything else?) So a total saving of 42p and the plastic wrapping to dispose of. Just does not make sense and I doubt if that contributed to the new voucher. The only "expensive" item was meat (pork mince) at 3 500g packs for £10 (again reduced) and that BTW for our benefit folk will make 6 meals of "cheaper than fast-food" burgers or meat loaf.

We pay for the convenience of one destination one stop supermarkets, but many of us just do not have the time or inclination or "local independent" to shop around.

• RMweb Gold

Assuming the "discount" is worth the time and fuel to drive many miles out of your way to find a Tesco garage.

Am I alone in believing that all these "gimmicks" are a load of hogwash and would rather see honest and open pricing?

Today's shop another £3.77 off and on a spend of less than £35 (even less as I used the last voucher). Even looking at one item (most were "fresh")

- peppers - needed 4, bought 2 packs of 3 and we will dispose of the horrible bitter green ones in the composter. Individual price 60p each and pack price of 99p (why not make it £1 like they do everything else?) So a total saving of 42p and the plastic wrapping to dispose of. Just does not make sense and I doubt if that contributed to the new voucher. The only "expensive" item was meat (pork mince) at 3 500g packs for £10 (again reduced) and that BTW for our benefit folk will make 6 meals of "cheaper than fast-food" burgers or meat loaf.

We pay for the convenience of one destination one stop supermarkets, but many of us just do not have the time or inclination or "local independent" to shop around.

I have calculated the cost of using one of the '20p off a litre vouchers' and it usually would cost me money (plus Tesco diesel has already knackered my fuel system once so I'm not volunteering for another dose of that).  

Anyway to the calculation - at my present average rate of fuel consumption and the distance to the nearest Tesco filling station, and assuming no traffic delays (unlikely), I would need to save a minimum of £2.80.  At say a discount of 10 p per litre (the last one I got from Tesco) I would therefore need to buy at least 28 litres of diesel in order to make the journey financially worthwhile.  As I normally take a longer route in order to avoid traffic delays I would probably be looking at a need to save something in excess of £3.20 - so minimum purchase 32 litres at 10p per litre saved.

Normally I tend to refill the car's tank when it will take about 50 litres - so I would get a nett saving of £2.20, but at the cost of around 1 hour of driving and queueing to fill up, and Reading traffic simply does not make that worthwhile.  So I always put the petrol saving vouchers in the recycling!

When I get my fuel vouchers, I feel annoyed as I use lpg, which Tesco (around here at least) don't sell. But as I do use petrol just for starting (1/2 mile max), or if I run out of petrol, it can be months before I put any in! I use have to actually think how to firstly open my petrol filler and secondly how to use the actual pump! So the majority go to my daughter who works at Tesco.

Stewart

Edit: Just to add salt to Tesco's wounds, I called in at Morrisons Wisbech yesterday to fill up, expecting the normal 56.9p/L. It was 49.9p! When I passed again today it was 54.9p.

Stewart

Archived