I can't resist a bubble in distress and placed a low bid on a non-working Kernow return and surprisingly the bid was successful. Anyhow I almost cut the body up for the 116 centre car project but just couldn't bring myself to doing that and so I've got a london area bubble project on the go!

The chassis fix was simple which was a right bonus so it's been converted to EM and is now on the detailing bench. @NickL2008 has highlighted a few missing speedo & bufferbeam details on his excellent bubbles so I'm rather tempted to copy his efforts and have a go myself.

Flickr has some nice photos of the prototype dragging a DTS or a DPU so I've added a smiths coupling hook to mine as I quite fancy doing those formations!2023-07-2818_12_16.jpg.935d16f0d1ce93a9af13d52a50bdd638.jpg

I don't mind the "scale" dummy couplings provided with Bachmann DMUs but tests on my layout have shown they uncouple so I'm now going  down the route of using smiths hooks even though they're way too big but practical. However I have used the rest of the Bachmann coupling by reattaching it using 06.mm wire and painting it black. Hopefully my hybrid coupling looks ok.

Bachmann doesn't model any of the roof welds which doesn't matter so much for dark grey or black roofs but on 55020 with it's lovely creamy coloured roof looks a bit plain to my eyes. Colour wise Kernow were spot on for when it was first painted but I'm after that end of livery look. So here's my experiments;

2023-07-2817_50_04a.jpg.3dd3e939710e9a30da2a8823dcfc05e1.jpg

2023-07-2817_51_08a.jpg.cb9c426d6c6ae0a39bb243b7e6d0a1c9.jpg

First task is masking up the ribs which i airbrush a dark grey colour (probably weathered black). Unmasked it all looked a bit scary so needed toning down!

2023-07-2817_50_14.jpg.b0c5ec5fc9a8968dc97de6a40f683dbe.jpg

From photos it looked a bit more blue/grey towards the end  so I mixed my own shade of grey using yoeman grey... some dark grey and as much blue as i dared. I couldn't get an exact match but went with this approximate match as it'll do till i weather! Anyhow it ended up a bit like the photos show but in reality is a little lighter than my phone photos suggest. I probably sprayed too much grey but the lines showed through so i tried some acrylic washes. These weren't great so I've used enamel black and brown washes and sharpened the welds a little. I've tried for a sruffy look.... LOL.

Question is does it looks ok? I think it's roughly what i had in mind so might be passable. The finishing touch will be airbrushing exhaust dirt and possiblly a coat of varnish but I'm not so sure thats needed.

And the sun came out for 20 seconds or so....

2023-07-2817_53_26.jpg.8ebbc7f48aef5aedf5d8ab7e7e894226.jpg

cheers for reading!

Will

• Like 14

Very nice will, I think the painted ribs look good - not easy to do on the NSE one unless youre using the Dapol shell on the Bachmann Chassis. 

Glad my models inspired to get the missing MU piping done and missing corner sections. L123 is having the missing vents added near the guard end, one upside I guess of repainting it. I guess as the layouts now in existance and being worked on, the bubbles now havnt had much work done on them, but theyre nearly there. 

NL

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My B430 needs a repaint, but i do not have enough paint.

Mine was from the same batch used for the bubble car, B430, and the 10 mark 1s.

That makes me feel old.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Very nice will, I think the painted ribs look good - not easy to do on the NSE one unless youre using the Dapol shell on the Bachmann Chassis. 

Glad my models inspired to get the missing MU piping done and missing corner sections. L123 is having the missing vents added near the guard end, one upside I guess of repainting it. I guess as the layouts now in existance and being worked on, the bubbles now havnt had much work done on them, but theyre nearly there. 

NL

Hi Nick

I'm not sure if I've got these additions right as I've found it tricky to locate where they should go..... I'll be very interested in opinions on whether they're ok!

2023-07-2914_37_12.jpg.8a0e6b2e5271f2dfb59df64a1fcdac98.jpg

Speedo wire location and extra pipes under. The Speedo wire isn't glued in but I've added a hole so it's fixed into place.

2023-07-2914_37_41.jpg.6c3fad4dab07aabfde62e5cfd3789013.jpg

You can see a few holes testing out MU connector locations! but I'm guessing this the location where they go.... or they go in at 90 degrees?

2023-07-2914_37_19.jpg.0c04f2bc3975fad3694b2cb283f45371.jpg

And i think there is a missing MU connector pipe that I've added in plastikard.

Also do you know if they had air horns at all? Sometimes i think i see them on photos to the secondmans door but not sure if they're always there... or on bubbles just at one end?

I thought it best before i do the fleet to have a test to see what it all looks like!

Thanks

Will

• Like 4

I've found a photo on flickr of a 117 close up which suggests the pipes go in at the side so have modified by setting them back a little and then bending at the end. 

2023-07-3013_17_57.jpg.b518e8e024ae6573b7f79dd76823b79b.jpg

I think it looks a bit better side on now;

2023-07-3013_18_07.jpg.b015f069cdcb6ced8392b100d1d2d8cd.jpg

So thats the rest of the week sorted (at least) fitting these small mods to the fleet. 

• Like 4

Hi Will - the pipes are much better now, sorry wasnt able to comment orginally on the first pohot. dont forget theres a square peice that fits onto the side of the buffer beam. I padded out the recepticle areas as they looked a little shallow also

Hope a photo here showing it, as I managed to get close to a real 117 not too long ago..

0037.JPG.bba68fdcd1cf4a72fadff9b09fa322f0.JPG

NL

• Thanks 1

I may have lost what little sanity I have....

20230801_222517.jpg.32d24d4dfece18bcece644cea809c5b2.jpg

I've been experimenting with magnets and bits of elastic.... this has gone together surprisingly well but only time will tell how robust it all is. There doesn't seem to be any interference with the hunt coupling either so I'm going to expand it out to a double socket next then if that works trial it on my 118 to see if it lasts!

20230801_222549.jpg.810b4bd3bdcfafd384354317f1649889.jpg

Also added a bit of black plastikard behind the buffer beam and been bending wires... alot of wires! I reckon by the end I may have done one right!

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

I've been spending some time this week bending bits of wire and staring at underframes - and for one chassis also slapped on some base weathering to see how things look. Then of course I've decided to do a few extras!

2023-08-0609_14_00.jpg.b7a69f1d06134af71155015ca5d10374.jpg

When weathered I'm pleased how the speedo cable, front pipes and extra depth to the back of the bufferbeam looks. It's all very subtle but is noticable Vs one that hasn't been updated.  I've also added some dangly wires to the two boxes behind the bogie which is my best guess as to whats going on here. I'm sure this isn't strickly right so I'm using my impressionist modelling style ;)

2023-08-0609_14_24.jpg.d2a18ea651cb339915b1f7dfd9ad7df8.jpg

The front is mostly standard Bachmann with my only change being the cross pipe on the MU connectors.

2023-08-0609_13_17.jpg.482ef56189807d5c7089cdcbd84e87e8.jpg

Can't resist adding a bit of wire above the grill... this side is easy to fit as I've drilled a hole in the chassis whereas the other side isn't. Of course looking at this photo shows I've mounted  it a touch high - hey ho. And hiding is a square bit of plastikard to the right of the battery box. Some of the preserved DMUs have this painted orange so it really sticks out but I think in BR days it wasn't.... anyhow it's a really quick job to add using square rod.

One thing I'm consfused on is where did these units carry air horns? I've seen them mounted under the secondmans steps on some photos but i don't know of they had some both ends or all carried them there?

• Like 8

• Tempfix

On a 117 they're definitely under the cab floor somewhere. Santa specials at the GWSR used to use a 117 set and cab visits were allowed for little people. On one my son was told to sound the horn at a foot crossing and nearly jumped a foot in the air at the sound of it.

Rich

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

A case of spot the difference!

2023-08-2815_12_08.jpg.35f574da4901a2f53173c59d213f4566.jpg

Well they say a model railway is never finished and that rule applies to my models! I've decided to complete the same modifications to all of my DMUs so have been spending a long time adding bits of bent wire, plastikard etc so they all look to have a similar level of detail. Yes it's taken me flipping ages to do the fleet!

Anyhow I'm now close to "finishing" a few models....

My 121 DTS has had quite a bit of work but is beginning to look how i want it to;

W54281 Class 121 DTS

I've added bits of wire etc, thinned the front windows, added transfers, laserglaze and a destination blind as well as some etched wipers. 

W54281 Class 121 DTS

I think the colour match of rainbow railways blue is pretty good as you have to look to see where I've resprayed and I'm hoping no-one will notice with a casual look.

W54281 Class 121 DTS

I've included this view as I've lined the glazing on this side only - not sure it's that much of an improvement for lighter colours so I think I'll only do it for the darker shades. What do you think?

W54281 Class 121 DTS

I wasn't happy with my first attempt on removing the gangway so have re-filled and sanded... then resprayed the ends again! I'm a bit happier now and just need to find out what transfers need adding... if any?  If you know please let me know!

Well I'm quite pleased that the bubble in distress I bought i changed my mind and didn't sacrifice it for other projects. The roof welds and weaathering took quite a few coats but hopefully it gives the impression something it's not all one piece.

W55020 Class 121

W55020 Class 121

I've tried to represent this one at the end of it's time in GWR 150. Unlike 117305 it didn't stay long in GWR 150 so didn't get chance to get too shabby although the roof did seem to fade quite badly. So I've kept this one "clean".

W55020 Class 121

I still don't think I completely cracked the roof colour but I'm happier looking at something that doesn't seem smooth.

While researching 55020 it seemed to be out with a few friends while in GWR150 livery. On flckr i've found it  towing/pushing a DTS and a DPU then i think mine might do the same!

W55020 Class 121 & W55281 Class 121 DTS

Right time to crack on with a few more DMUs!

• Like 19

• Tempfix

Fantastic work. I've recently picked up an L120 for a bit of dirtying up - but I'm not sure my fingers will allow me to do the bits of wire! That Rainbow Railways blue is good though - can't tell where the joins are from the pictures.

I too have a DPU lined up to run with mine, but I think I might need to do some speed matching first as the difference between the weight and power of the Heljan 128 compared to one of these is quite striking. The Bachmann unit could be flat out in the opposite direction and the Heljan 128 would still drag it along.

Rich

2 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Fantastic work. I've recently picked up an L120 for a bit of dirtying up - but I'm not sure my fingers will allow me to do the bits of wire! That Rainbow Railways blue is good though - can't tell where the joins are from the pictures.

I too have a DPU lined up to run with mine, but I think I might need to do some speed matching first as the difference between the weight and power of the Heljan 128 compared to one of these is quite striking. The Bachmann unit could be flat out in the opposite direction and the Heljan 128 would still drag it along.

Rich

I reckon there's no speed matching needed having a Heljan DPU! The DPU will be in charge! Will look really good together. 

I remember a rather inspirational Rail Magazine supplement from the 90s that showed how to upgrade the Lima 117 and was resprayed into GWR150 livery. I thought it was amazing and the work involved was really special and inspired me to try upgrading my own  lima 117s (or were they 118s?). I never did a great job but fast forward 30 years or so (?) and Kernow brings out their own version and so any thoughts of attempting a re-spray are instantly forgotten and I now have my own 117305 (although without the super interior the model rail supplement had).

117305 Class 117 GWR 150

The first modification is to the fronts as Kernow's commission is the original version without the headlight. I'm yet to find a suitable headlight so modified a replica railways version by thinning it down and drilling a hole through. It wasn't the easiiet task tbh! It's probably a bit large but will do! The window frames have been thinned then painted black which I find especially hard to achieve a look as good as a Bachmann print so have settled on how it looks now (3rd attempt). Transfers are dry rub and i tried to incorporate the Tysley depot sticker but this only worked on one unit  and is probably pushing the technology too far. The front has then been airbrushed with satin varnish.

117305 Class 117 GWR 150

The front destination blind is my mashup of printed paper between two bits of clear plastic and some masking tape and is illuminated behind using the Bachmann circuit board. Front glazing is by shawplan. I'm finding subtle differences in size between each moulding so for this one had to do a bodge approach of painting one end of the frame to add a bit of thickness and while still wet add in the glazing then fix with humbrol klear.

117305 Class 117 GWR 150

I've tried a bit of fading for the roof. It's probably a bit subtle but hopefully looks similar to the last few years of the units life. Also the exhausts have been opened out to suggest they could be a tube.

117305 Class 117 GWR 150

The circuit boards have been modified with each coach having it's own decoder. This allows better speed matching, opportunities for easily mixing units as well as removing the coupling unit which I find hard to use. The revised coupling is mounted at buffer beam level and is a kadee box and hunt magnetic coupling. Corridor connectors are York Models lasercut paper but with the addition of some plastic binliner for the roof.

I didn't take many photos of the centre car but this has had some extra underfame detailing and also fitting of a dynamo band using scrap brass.

117305 Class 117 GWR 150

Overall I'm quite pleased how the unit has turned out. I'm planning on experimenting connecting pipes but thats for another day.

117305 Class 117 GWR 150

Being a bit of a celebrity set the unit appeared all over the place particularly on railtours. It also ended up in the south west in both 2 and 3 car formations so is a really usefull unit for my layout (and any others i may dream up!)

cheers for reading

Will

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

I've nearly finished my class 118 and I'm just waiting for some data panels from Railtech then I can add a little weathering to the inner ends. Anyhow a few test shots (with a few more of flickr)....

P471 Class 118 DMU BR Blue Grey

I've got quite a few excuses for a 118 as my layouts are based on the western region, and on the west side of the country, so P471 was chosen. The other slightly far out excuse is this model reminds me of my old Lima 117 (or was it a 118 ;) ) which I had many hours of fun with before selling on so wanted to recreate some of that.

Mods are probably detailed earlier in the thread but essentially the main effort went into getting the headcodes to be curved using a bit of spare Dapol 122 roof. Also the DMS on P471 seems to be more plated over so that was added with some brass. Otherwise it's the same mods as my 117.... and all of the heavyweights I've done so far!

TBH the roof is probably a bit too smooth so I've tried to roughen it up a bit with my poor painting style ;) I'm quite pleased with the exhausts and think it's worth the effort to open them out.

I think the TCL should have lost it's first class portion for the time period i'm modelling.... but a few years before it still had it. I've currently decided to leave alone in case i mess up removing it all! Modellers license and all that. The underframe has had a few changes with a few wires here and there and I've added a dynamo belt from scrap brass frets.

TBH I'll mostly run it in 2 car formation so won't worry too much about the TCL ! Transfers for the renumbering are dry rub which i drew in inkscape using my approximate guess method of sizing. I find it hard to hide waterslide so prefer the dry rub alternative.

I do like this one in 2 car formation :)

Next steps will be data panels and experimenting with connecting pipes... but there are a few DMU projects nearing completion first.

Happy Modelling and cheers for reading!

Will

• Like 14

4 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Nice work Will, Layout has eaten up my time recently, Ive started working on the spare Bachmann Bubble shell, probably do it as 55026 with NSE flashes etc. 

NL

Excellent choice!

I also like 55026 in this formation :)  

50009 50041 50028 55026 161288 1125 Newton to Laira

Set number is sadly not on railcar.co.uk 

• Like 3

I'm building up to tackling the electrics on my 101 DTCL for use in set L210. To avoid looking at such things I've looked at photos of an underframe and added a few bits (as you've probably guessed electrics are a bit of a mystery to me so I try to avoid!).

2023-10-0312_13_34.jpg.b791051eb023efa7d61a804ccc9798e3.jpg

First up is adding a speedo cable (from Bachmann spares). Now I really hope this doesn't snap! The 101 seems a bit lower mounted so I've used a bit of TCL pipe metal roof mounts (taken from the 116 project) and stuck in a speedo mounting pin (also avialable from Bachman spares). The bogie mount is just another pin drilled into the axle box.  It's a little more stretched out than say a 117 but should negotiate any curves that the unit may face.  Not sure if the vacuum hanger thing should be horizontal or as is when the unit is moving?

2023-10-0312_13_44.jpg.28257fd527b5ac52b333b2f9428c32dd.jpg

A poor photo but hopefully shows the mods to the front bufferbeam - added brass horns, an extra white pipe and couplings and other cables from a 121 bag. Typically I broke the white MU connector pipes so this is now brass wire while the black one is original.  The red and blue pipes are original but i would like something better but don't have anything so will live with them.

2023-10-0312_15_14.jpg.0d36d8d6082241cc9d02f489bf650ba8.jpg

A toilet shoot has been added at the back (more spares from the TCL to TC conversion) and a dynamo band added using scrap brass fret.

2023-10-0312_15_01.jpg.c73e519e45e1a60276a825da53ffa9e2.jpg

The interior is in mid-repaint into a blue that will hopefully be more matching of the NSE 117 interior on the 116. It'll be toned down with an airbrush at some point. Final mods have been thinning the V hangers so they look a bit less plastic and adding some kind of box thing to the right of them. Debatable how successful this has been! It's also scary how bendy all of the underframe is without the body!!

If I've missed anything please let me know! I've not done much research on the old 101s!

I'm hoping to take on the electrics at the weekend or next week. Looking forward to that working :)

• Like 13

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I do like these, but my 101s are not great.

I managed to list most WR ones around 1980 the liveries and window frames.

I don't remember seeing the DMBS DTCL sets. just the 3 cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow I've managed to get my 101 DTCL lights to work....

2023-11-2022_03_39.jpg.d868a224c5048aa2f2b39c55d46f37fb.jpg

A proper homemade bodge!

2023-11-2022_04_15.jpg.da3e3e5ce4661df0a26cd0d87adcbf0d.jpg

I have in stock some Trains4u stay alive capacitors and while they were probably not designed for DCC i've hooked them up Lais DCC function only decoder which all just about squeezes in. My homemade circuit bodges now stretch to using copperclad point tie bars which I've scraped off bits to make circuits for SMD LEDs and resistors. I'm using 5 of the 8 functions on offer for head/tail lights, Interior/ cab and destination blind. Today feels like progress as it all seems to work (for the time being) and I've matched it up to the 116 so L210 may just come alive soon!

Before that I'm playing with getting the tone of the interior to sort of match Bachmanns 117..... then theres the small matter of what colour to paint the cab interior.... should the desk stay blue?

• Like 4

Time for a spot of toothpaste livery.

I'm very nearly finished with my attempt at modelling Set L210.... which was a little n large hybrid comprising of 54381 101 DTCL & 53083 116 DMBS in nice NSE revised livey. My photos are just snaps taken on my phone in todays winter sun so lighting is perhaps a little different lighting wise to my normal ones.

Here's one of the 116 DMBS leading....

L210 Class 101 & 116 Hybrid DMU NSE revised

And one of the 101...

It's been a lengthy project but one that I've enjoyed. As with all my models it's not totally finished.... I'm waiting for some data panels for the 116 from Rail Tech and so for the time being I've painted out the "117" bit and haven't yet weathered the ends as a result. I also can't bring myself to weather the roofs (just yet) so these will probably stay as is! I've probably mentioned most mods already so will just summarise a few changes I've made;

Class 116 DMBS

Throughout this project I've expected Bachmann to announce a 116 so now I've finished one I reckon there'll be one announced soon! The starting point is a Bachmann NSE class 117. The hardest modification is the removal of the guards grille which appeared on refurbishments of 117s and this has been scraped off, filled then primed, filled then primed etc and then painted over. Hopefully it's not too obvious where I've filled but did mean i needed to spray some white and blue to hide it. Also while doing this the guards handrails have been replaced to be two piece type which the 116s seem to have. removing the original handrails meant I needed some more filler and painting of blue grey and white so the red is the only colour untouched by me!

The front cab needs handrails removing and I also removed the headlight as the prototype didn’t have one. so more filler. The Derby cab roof is from a Dapol 122 roof and the extra roof marker is just a bit of plastikard and metal brass which i think i showed me doing earlier in the thread. To add some extra work I broke one of the markers so had to replace that with brass tube.... and also the marker lenses!

The roof vents where replaced with MJT shell vents and then sprayed black. I also now open out the exhausts where-ever I can to try and make them look like tubes

The destination blinds are a railtech transfer sandwiched between two bits of clear plastic and is illuminated behind using the Bachmann circuit board but modified to illuminate the top and so I removed the window destination LED etc. Also replaced is the front glazing with Shawplan laserglaze with the front window frames reduced in thickness with MJT wipers. (Which i wish had longer fixings! One benefit (?) of shawplans glazing is that it does show off the cab detail so quite a few things needed picking out in paint etc. Although I can now clearly see the drivers window being clunky original glazing! And the great debate I have with myself.... to include a driver or not!

My now (usual) chassis additions were all added which I batch did all my DMUs in one go which regular readers may note is more than one DMU.... even my wife commented that I seem to have alot of trains with them all stacked on the bench so I just casually passed it off as only a few but they happen to all be in bits.... I think I failed there.

Class 101 DTCL

A surprising amount of effort went into doing the DTCL as quite quickly I realise Bachmann have made a right mess of measuring the size of all the windows. TBH i can live quite happily with the sides but couldnt't with the fronts so have added shawplan frames which to my eye makes a real difference to the look of the model. It’s subtle but I think has a massive effect to the front. The hardest bit for me was getting the electrics right which is mostly homemade bodges but seems to work surprisingly well. The interior lighting circuits have been completely replaced and I can now control separate Head/Tail/Cab/Interior & destination lights on DCC.

The undeframe has had lots of extra details such as airhorns and speedo cablesadded , and I’ve mostly used a spare Bachmann 117 kit for the rest of the bufferbeam. Hopefully the speedo cable will last as it's a bit stretched out!

The corridor connector is a working slaters etched brass effort… It’s only a single scissor as I think a working double is beyond my building abilities! I've actually borrowed this from a NSE 108 which will now be moved on as I probably do have the odd DMU too many ;)

I'm pleased with the effect of the working corridor connectors as it's made this feel like one unit to me. And it goes round surprisngly tight curves thanks to sprung buffers!

Painting & Transfers

As the 101 started life with early NSE blue and I didn’t fancy paint matching Bachmanns revised blue on the 116 I just resprayed the lot with precision revised NSE. It's a bit more purple than Bachmanns interpretation but it's nice to have a variation and tbh every photo I look at seems to have a different shade of blue. Railmatch NSE grey is a great match though so that I've been able to blend this in. And Tamiya white primer is nice match for Bachmann's NSE white - LOL! (I did try "NSE white" but that looked awful.... it's basically just white on Bachmann models and prototypes as far as i can tell).  The roof is Halford Black and I'm still undecided as to weather or to not weather (as i quite like it as is).

The NSE transfers are railtech but everything else I've drawn in inkscape. They're about right but not exact! I've finished off with satin Varnish and while it won't win any prizes I'm quite pleased with the effect.

Hopefully this has been of interest... quite a fun project to do tbh.

Next up will probably be my other 116 project so that will definitely bring in Bachmann announcements!

Happy Modelling and cheers for reading this far!

Will

• Like 17