1 hour ago, lyneux said:

Will, that looks superb! I can't wait to see this up close at some point. You should be very pleased with it! I particularly like the corridor connections and the 'Not in Service' on the destination blinds.

Guy

Thanks Guy!

Doesn't time fly.... I think it was over a year ago that I brought the repainted shells along to show you at Tolworth Showtrain! 

8 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Hi Will -

Very nice, ive used the Hunt coupling on my 117, though not sure if ive managed to get it as neat as yours! L210 is on my to do list, but the layout has eaten up alot of time recently

NL

I think my layout will do likewise now as i have some plans. Also the garage being flipping cold will slow quite a few projects down!

I doubt my coupling method is that neat... just set at bufferbeam level so that the buffers and gangways hide them as best as possible!

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

I now really think Bachmann will announce a 116! I've nearly finished my version of the last Class 116 set in BR Blue (Please see Railcar.co.uk for an excellent write up of the prototype! )

T702 Class 116 DMU BR Blue

The DMBS is pretty much the same approach as described for my NSE 116 - this time being a full respray i could be less careful with removing the guards grille! Hopefully it's hidden!

The DMS also has replaced grab rails which I haven't bothered to do on my other models to avoid messing the original paint. You may also notice that in a proper moment of madness (while having a beer) i decided to remove the window frames on this set.... yeah it was (not) fun... but strangely relaxing (the beer(s) helped).

The fun bit on the DMS is for a change I added some deliberate damage, which in it's last years was painted over in yellow. I'm also quite pleased with the effect of thinning the front windows and using shawplans glazing... and also added the T702 set number in the secondmans window, which is just a printout stuff on some clear plastikard. On all of the units the interior lighting circuits have been completely replaced and I can now control separate Head/Tail/Cab/Interior & destination lights on DCC for each coach, which does mean this unit soaks up 3 decoders but i prefer it that way and quite happy to be rid of Bachmanns huge coupling.

So a 3 car set kind of needs a centre car! This case a TC converted from a TCL & DMS body;

The other side;

I think I've put up some in progress shots of this previously but now it's been put together and some blue paint slapped on. Talking of which I did these at the same time as my 121 & 122 and really didn't like the finish.... so they'll all been t-cut and then sprayed with satin/gloss varnish mix. Hopefully it looks passable!

In the end i abandoned my attempt using Dapol inserts and went with just Bachmann shells (if anyone wants the abandoned effort please me know - it's not one of my best efforts tbh). So it's a combination of a Bachmann TCL and DMS bodies than have been chopped and joined to have the right window combination. This also means the interior needs modifying to remove the TCL toilet and add in the extra compartments. It all took a lot of sanding and filling! Adding the York Models corridor connectors really helps make this look like a complete unit;

One mod to do is add data panels (when i can get some) and then lightly weather the ends. I can't take a photo of the complete 3 car unit on my shelf as it's not long enough..... so here's a finishing shot of a pair

And that wraps up finished models in 2023 for me (i only varnish when the weather is ok as i spray outdoors) . If anyones interested I'll add some in progress updates in the future rather than just finished stuff

Happy Modelling !

Will

Nice, join the 116 club

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJI said:

Nice, join the 116 club

It's a good club to be in!

I'm slowly working my way through the WR heavyweights. The 115 is proving harder to do than I first thought which is down to me trying to keep the original Bachmann livery... and one day I have ambitions to have a bash at a 119/120.

I have etched sides for a 119 to marry up to a Dapol Derby cab but I think the etch was designed to be used with Lima bodies so is a bit different in height. One to solve in the future!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, dj_crisp said:

It's a good club to be in!

I'm slowly working my way through the WR heavyweights. The 115 is proving harder to do than I first thought which is down to me trying to keep the original Bachmann livery... and one day I have ambitions to have a bash at a 119/120.

I have etched sides for a 119 to marry up to a Dapol Derby cab but I think the etch was designed to be used with Lima bodies so is a bit different in height. One to solve in the future!

115 on WR?

I know Tyselely had some trailers for their sets, but the 115 power car hybrids did not make WR AFAIR, but sound like a fun project.

My 119 is mainly Worsley Works, but I think the windows are slightly too deep, my 120 more or less scratch.

• RMweb Premium

Just had a look at the link and it says there Tyseley so yes try a 115.

My first 116 was a Cardiff based set I happened to travel in to a scrap yard. The second is a Tyselely.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MJI said:

115 on WR?

I know Tyselely had some trailers for their sets, but the 115 power car hybrids did not make WR AFAIR, but sound like a fun project.

My 119 is mainly Worsley Works, but I think the windows are slightly too deep, my 120 more or less scratch.

I treat western region as anything west of Paddington.. 😀

Interesting that you think the windows are a bit deep as that was the conclusion I was coming to as I have a WW set too.  But I haven't measured anything though and only roughly lined them up with a Dapol cab. I'll have proper look soon.

• Tempfix

Hello Both

I had the same conclusion with the WW etches for the 119, hence my slightly labour intensive method with the Hornby 110s as a starting point. Issue is illustrated here:

image.png.6ad1a8346c3505c2c160c104e8b022bd.png

(not my pic - Railcar.co.uk - https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-119/ )

Look at the lining under the cab front windows and then an upward wiggle along the sides. You couldn't do this with the WW etches, the bottom edges of the side windows are level with the bottom of the cab windows. You might get away with it in blue/grey but I'd concluded that anything with stripes, NSE in my case, might make the side windows look a bit odd. The DC Kits kit for the 119 had a similar issue, I think because the same side pieces were used for the 114, which does have deeper windows. As soon as you do any of them someone will announce one anyway!

Totally with the 115 though. My justification was this pic on Honda Wanderer:

image.png.b92f24691ac8ee8577e756beb2e1a2d2.png

(not my pic - http://www.hondawanderer.com/51677_Didcot_North_Junction_1992.htm)

Half a 115 on a stopper at Didcot north junction. Meant I could have one on Oxford Road even though I can only fit a three coach length. One day I'll do the other half.

Good luck with it.

Rich

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Hello Both

I had the same conclusion with the WW etches for the 119, hence my slightly labour intensive method with the Hornby 110s as a starting point. Issue is illustrated here:

image.png.6ad1a8346c3505c2c160c104e8b022bd.png

(not my pic - Railcar.co.uk - https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-119/ )

Look at the lining under the cab front windows and then an upward wiggle along the sides. You couldn't do this with the WW etches, the bottom edges of the side windows are level with the bottom of the cab windows. You might get away with it in blue/grey but I'd concluded that anything with stripes, NSE in my case, might make the side windows look a bit odd. The DC Kits kit for the 119 had a similar issue, I think because the same side pieces were used for the 114, which does have deeper windows. As soon as you do any of them someone will announce one anyway!

Totally with the 115 though. My justification was this pic on Honda Wanderer:

image.png.b92f24691ac8ee8577e756beb2e1a2d2.png

(not my pic - http://www.hondawanderer.com/51677_Didcot_North_Junction_1992.htm)

Half a 115 on a stopper at Didcot north junction. Meant I could have one on Oxford Road even though I can only fit a three coach length. One day I'll do the other half.

Good luck with it.

Rich

Thanks Rich. That's a great summary on the 119. The WW etches window frames are the same size as the Dapol cab window frames. Not sure if I'm going to progress this project at this stage!

Been just looking at a possibility of a 114 from the remaining etches. The DTCL looks similar but the DMBS looks quite different!

On 02/12/2023 at 21:29, Rich Papper said:

Or you could do a parcels 114 and chop them into sections anyway...

Maybe it's time I learn some CAD and get some sides etched. I have a DC kits 120 stashed and just had a look at that one. Windows are smaller but they are perhaps a little large too. It's less noticeable though and hard to tell on blue grey. My understanding is the 120  has similar sides as the 119 just with a different cab?

Then there's the small matter of getting dimensions !

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Maybe it's time I learn some CAD and get some sides etched. I have a DC kits 120 stashed and just had a look at that one. Windows are smaller but they are perhaps a little large too. It's less noticeable though and hard to tell on blue grey. My understanding is the 120  has similar sides as the 119 just with a different cab?

Then there's the small matter of getting dimensions !

Real ones I THINK are also different profile, 120 is very Swindon, windows are slightly smaller than Mark 1.

Mark 1 is a curve.

Swindon is flat then curve.

Gloucester is more Derby flat then curve.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Winter is a strange time as although I have more time for modelling the garage is so cold I struggle for enthusiasm!

Anyhow I've started on a new pair of victims....

20240111_134822.jpg.aa0c4f327323e3fbd7195e9c7d0a48fb.jpg

I've spent a bit of time pondering the front curves on Bachmanns 101. Having stripped a pair it's a bit easier to see the bodyshell shape.

20240111_134853.jpg.b3e04628b25eb462adc4b6f3abb18087.jpg

I'm coming to the conclusion that Bachmanns front curve is perhaps a little shallow so I may spend a bit of time with some files.

The project is Iris 2.... so some chopping and filling will be needed. If anyone has any photos of the roof that'll be an ace help as I think I need to remove and add quite a few bits!

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I know what you mean with winter motivation, even though the garage is insulated I still find it’s a very small part of the year where temperature and motivation align to get work done out there.

that said, I almost have the opposite issue, Im desperate to get out in the garage to do some painting but it’s just far too cold to actually do it!

watching Iris 2 with interest, I’m very torn between modelling this or a more involved

conversion to the wipac fitted pair.

• Like 1

Interesting...

I removed the front windows on my 101 the other day and replaced them with the Shawplan etches. They certainly help improve the front, seems to be minor differences but its not a huge amount between the orginal moulded frames and the Shawplan etches. 

The sides however as well, one of those "The more you look at it...", the sides are definatley wrong, but I guess you either live with it or dont. LEt us know your findings Will, havnt resprayed the rpoof yet on my one, so will be interested on the mods. MY other 101, will be the Serco one with the REP centre vehicle

NL

19 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I know what you mean with winter motivation, even though the garage is insulated I still find it’s a very small part of the year where temperature and motivation align to get work done out there.

that said, I almost have the opposite issue, Im desperate to get out in the garage to do some painting but it’s just far too cold to actually do it!

watching Iris 2 with interest, I’m very torn between modelling this or a more involved

conversion to the wipac fitted pair.

Hopefully it'll be a fun project! I never really intended doing this one but i came across some hurst etches along with some sprinter stuff i was after.... then thought why not! So have changed one intended 101 project to be Iris 2 after seeing this photo on flickr

101 977693 977694 Doncaster Work

There are a few things I need to research such as the roof, Interior and general differences Vs a standard 101. But I understand the unit is still in existence so have a few more modern photos to explore.

I'll be very happy to swap notes!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Interesting...

I removed the front windows on my 101 the other day and replaced them with the Shawplan etches. They certainly help improve the front, seems to be minor differences but its not a huge amount between the orginal moulded frames and the Shawplan etches. 

The sides however as well, one of those "The more you look at it...", the sides are definatley wrong, but I guess you either live with it or dont. LEt us know your findings Will, havnt resprayed the rpoof yet on my one, so will be interested on the mods. MY other 101, will be the Serco one with the REP centre vehicle

NL

They're very subtle but great frames and make a huge difference to the face of the unit. I'm not looking too hard at the sides ;)

I like the sound of the serco unit! That one will look great!

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Hopefully it'll be a fun project! I never really intended doing this one but i came across some hurst etches along with some sprinter stuff i was after.... then thought why not! So have changed one intended 101 project to be Iris 2 after seeing this photo on flickr

Wish the Hurst range was still around, all those test train etches are a big loss

• Agree 1

On 13/01/2024 at 14:53, dj_crisp said:

Winter is a strange time as although I have more time for modelling the garage is so cold I struggle for enthusiasm!

Anyhow I've started on a new pair of victims....

20240111_134822.jpg.aa0c4f327323e3fbd7195e9c7d0a48fb.jpg

I've spent a bit of time pondering the front curves on Bachmanns 101. Having stripped a pair it's a bit easier to see the bodyshell shape.

20240111_134853.jpg.b3e04628b25eb462adc4b6f3abb18087.jpg

I'm coming to the conclusion that Bachmanns front curve is perhaps a little shallow so I may spend a bit of time with some files.

The project is Iris 2.... so some chopping and filling will be needed. If anyone has any photos of the roof that'll be an ace help as I think I need to remove and add quite a few bits!

Cut me up to have to remove my neatly applied transfers 😅 but needed to be done, I did notice that the destination box is taller on the etches. Looking at the cruel closeup, slight adjustment might be needed? 

NL

DSC_0165.JPG.3ad3d9c7ea0807e5ee51ebea5ecf3aca.JPG

• Like 6

Very nice Nick!  Thanks for the heads up on the destination frames which I'll check mine soon.

I've been distracted with super BGs this last month. Really thought they'd be a quick project but as always things take longer than expected! But I've made a start on Lab 19....

20240121_153103.jpg.3226dd6a58ca0e3dc72818618768daf3.jpg

I've had the files out.... and filler after a few knife slips! I've opened out the windows ready for frames. Hopefully leaving enough space for glazing behind. Also done a bit of shaping of the sides to roof... not sure it's much of an improvement though.

And there's a few windows and doors to fill in.

20240121_152855.jpg.ad631a3d2d1169b2595cfe43a44a74df.jpg

This is plastikard infills with two fills and sands. 

I'm snipping off the roof vents but not too happy with the rough look so will try something elseas from the few photosi have its obvious where they used to be . There's lots going on and different on the roof so will have a few bits to sort out and guess!

So plenty of filling and filing to do!

• Like 4