Modbury

Ian Smith

2 hours ago, richard i said:

I built my first loco with a detachable boiler and just found it an extra complication to paint. However, it was a black loco with no lining, so I stopped making locos that way. Since then I have cursed how difficult it is to line / paint splashed tops when the boiler is fitted on lined green locos. So thinking the extra hassle might be worth the extra effort. 
I presume that is part of your thinking. 
richard

Richard, both my Metro and Buffalo were built with removable boilers (saddle in the case of the Buffalo). I don’t find it any extra effort, but you do have to consider the fixing of sub-assemblies during the design/build.

In the end I fixed the boiler in place on the Metro but there are times when I’ve regretted that decision - the motor is captive within the boiler and it’s a fiddle to slide it in and out (I had to replace the first one fitted).

Ian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/04/2020 at 22:01, Ian Smith said:

All of my stock is true 2mm, the only exceptions are a couple of Mathieson  wagons

Personally I'd like to see some of these on your layout Ian, caption in 'Edwardian Devon' says 1906 so should be spot on for your timeframe.

IMG_20200426_112755.jpg.b85652dd4d106ca6e809aeab60eefb7f.jpg

Best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MinerChris said:

Personally I'd like to see some of these on your layout Ian, caption in 'Edwardian Devon' says 1906 so should be spot on for your timeframe.

IMG_20200426_112755.jpg.b85652dd4d106ca6e809aeab60eefb7f.jpg

Best wishes,

Chris.

Might be too far south as if I remember correctly, a lot of coal landed at kings ridge did not go far. It just went up the branch to a power station(?) coal gas plant(?)

happy to be proved wrong as it is not really my area of expertise.

richard 

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, richard i said:

Might be too far south as if I remember correctly, a lot of coal landed at kings ridge did not go far. It just went up the branch to a power station(?) coal gas plant(?)

Torquay gasworks was a noted user.

5 hours ago, Regularity said:

Torquay gasworks was a noted user.

I think you are getting mixed up with Kingswear, just along the coast on the river Dart. Here there was a lot of coal coming in by coaster and being sent by rail to Torquay gasworks.

Coal comes in many varieties so I guess that 'Beer' had some sent by sea and some by rail, depending on the most suitable way to get it from the pit to Kingsbridge.

'Telegrams: Beer Merchant, Kingsbridge' may have caused some confusion.

Regards, Andy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2020 at 18:40, D869 said:

I think you are getting mixed up with Kingswear, just along the coast on the river Dart. Here there was a lot of coal coming in by coaster and being sent by rail to Torquay gasworks.

Coal comes in many varieties so I guess that 'Beer' had some sent by sea and some by rail, depending on the most suitable way to get it from the pit to Kingsbridge.

'Telegrams: Beer Merchant, Kingsbridge' may have caused some confusion.

Regards, Andy

Torquay Gasworks would order a whole ship load. Trevor whose Churston layout has featured in magazines said it would take three train loads to deliver a consignment. 

Don

• RMweb Gold

It looks fantastic already Ian. And very Dean. I know you did the splashers earlier but they caught my eye again now. Full width front splashers, not all DG models have that!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

runs very well even the hick-ups over the check rails doesn't stop her.  I like the tempoary novel weight for pick-up. Looks like some WWI heavy gun.

Excellent work

Don

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Dean Goods, and on with the tender...

A rectangle of 0.010" nickel silver sheet was cut out and filed to size for the footplate.  The profiles of the cosmetic frames were drawn in CAD, printed off, cut out and super glued to a double lamination of 0.008" nickel silver before they too were fretted, filed and separated.  The buffer beam is more 0.010" cut, filed and drilled for the eventual buffers.

Tender1.JPG.ee566e7d74f0317695afd7c8ab004e03.JPG

It was then a simple matter of soldering these components together with 188 degree solder.  For the time being I'm leaving off the leading buffer beam, as I want to establish how deep I can get away with making it because of the tender draw bar - I expect that everything will be fine in this respect but until I can mount the tender body on the chassis I won't know (and it will be a lot easier to make a component a suitable size than fitting something over (or worse under) size then having to correct it once it's in place).  With the cosmetic frames and buffer beam in place, I then set about marking and cutting out a hole in the footplate for the motor to fit through (the photo below shows the start of this process - a 1.2mm hole in each corner of the eventual motor space, more fretting and filing resulted in a suitable sized hole for the motor but still leaving plenty of land for the body upper works to be soldered to).

Tender2.jpg.7fe3d529526d156f1daab4ae0619814d.jpg

The next stage was to form the tender tank.  A 7.25mm wide strip of 0.008" nickel silver was cut, the top edge annealed and the flare formed by trapping the strip between two pieces of steel in the vice. One piece of steel had a rounded edge filed along it (against which the flare could be formed), and the second piece was clamped such that it trapped the lower edge of the nickel silver strip but left the upper edge accessible to be pushed over against the rounded edge of the other piece of steel - I hope that makes sense?!

It was then a matter of gently filing the bottom edge of the strip until I reduced it to the height of the tender sides - in this case 7mm - by locking off a vernier calliper at that distance, the strip could be slid through the jaws enabling easy identification of any high spots, which could then be dealt with (although in actual fact I managed to bring the strip down to size pretty consistently by rubbing the strip back and forth on my big file ensuring that reasonably equal pressure was applied along its length).

The result can be seen in the following pair of photos :

Tender3.jpg.a5145e76911bc2d5530963472a2e2725.jpg

Tender4.jpg.af2316d5bc907828d6b2361a72f9a171.jpg

To form the tender tank sides and rear, a 1.5mm hole was drilled in a sheet of tufnol truly perpendicular to the surface, then a couple of nicks were made in the flare of the strip where the first bend in the strip was to be made, and the strip carefully bent around a drill shank placed in the hole in the tufnol.  While the bend was made, it was obviously necessary to ensure that the strip was a) held firmly against the vertical drill shank, and b) the bottom edge of the strip was held in contact with the tufnol sheet surface.  Luckily, I ended up with a nice 90 degree bend that was perpendicular to the bottom of the strip.  The second bend was made in the same manner, but its position along the strip had to be carefully measured to ensure that the width of the tank would be 13mm (6'6").  Once the bends were made, the long sides were cut and filed down to length.

The final two photos show the current state :

Tender5.JPG.4f851c23a14523eea7a51ea34a2655ff.JPG

Tender6.jpg.aa566d4fc7a572ba38c7393a4e61aed8.jpg

The final photo shows that I have also added the "skirt" below the footplate - these are merely 1mm brass angle soldered in place.

Before the tank can be fitted, there is a little filing to be done to remove the leading portion of the flare, then a length of fine wire will be soldered around the edge of the flare to represent the beading (I hope that it will assist in filling the slots in the corners of the flare with solder too!)

Thanks for looking.

Ian

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

5 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

........(I hope that it will assist in filling the slots in the corners of the flare with solder too!)

It should do.  It's worked for me in the past.

Jim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking lovely Ian, another great post.

The 2mm area of the site has some great loco building threads at the moment. Im still desperately trying to remain disciplined and finish a few projects that have been on the go for ages but the urge to start something new is growing and I will start a thread when I do.

Jerry 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1