Was Manchester Mayfield station (and latterly parcels terminal) ever electrified?

GordonC

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to labour the point but the Working Timetable shows no trains arriving at Piccadilly and then being shunted back to Mayfield.

For instance in May 1976 4H12, the 01.25 Parcels from Stafford to Manchester Mayfield, called at Stockport from 02.50 to 03.40.  While there it was overtaken by 4H05, the 02.34 Parcels from Crewe to Manchester Piccadilly which arrived at Piccadilly at 03.24 with 4H12 following it down the slow line arriving at Mayfield at 03.39.  The WTT then shows the electric locomotive from 4H12 leaving Mayfield light engine at 04.05 for Longsight.

Dave is right

Parcels trains did run into platforms 12, sometimes 11 at Picc but unlikely they would be shunted to Mayfield. His WTT may show departing parcels from Picc unless they left ECS?

Dava

I'm not disagreeing, but no one has yet confirmed what the arrival process was in Mayfield for electrics.

The chap on Facebook was a diesel driver operating DPUs around the northwest into Mayfield, he couldn't remember electrics arriving and surmised perhaps they went to Piccadilly and were shunted back.

Pictures show some knitting at Mayfield but stopping short of the canopy and signs within the canopy warning of overheads beyond.

If the site wasn't fully wired and the trains didn't arrive into Piccadilly then that would leave just the head shunt next to the main where the loco could detach and then work back to Lonsight light engine leaving the shunter to push the stock in.

We're all just looking for answers as no one with actual working knowledge of the electric services has surfaced to give us the facts.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to labour the point but the Working Timetable shows no trains arriving at Piccadilly and then being shunted back to Mayfield.

For instance in May 1976 4H12, the 01.25 Parcels from Stafford to Manchester Mayfield, called at Stockport from 02.50 to 03.40.  While there it was overtaken by 4H05, the 02.34 Parcels from Crewe to Manchester Piccadilly which arrived at Piccadilly at 03.24 with 4H12 following it down the slow line arriving at Mayfield at 03.39.  The WTT then shows the electric locomotive from 4H12 leaving Mayfield light engine at 04.05 for Longsight.

In the WTT is the location just Mayfield, or is there also a signal reference number?

In reply to the various questions/points raised by Dava, stovepipe, and woodenhead....

Yes the WTT also includes parcels trains that originated and terminated at Manchester Piccadilly without calling at Mayfield.  The only service that did that was the one I included in the earlier table.

In the WTT Mayfield is listed either immediately above or below Piccadilly dependent upon the direction of travel.  There is no signal reference number.

While not discounting the headshunt theory there is also the possibility (and in my opinion the very strong probability) that the outside platform road at Mayfield was electrified for its full length to accommodate arrivals.

While not discounting the headshunt theory there is also the possibility (and in my opinion the very strong probability) that the outside platform road at Mayfield was electrified for its full length to accommodate arrivals.

It would explain a lot if that was the case, but the trouble is all the pictures that I've seen show the overhead masts being placed no further than the a short distance past the platform ends. And as Woodenhead says it does look like there is a "electric trains stop" sign near the end of the platform.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've recently found a Working Timetable for 1984-1985 and there was a service from Mayfield which stood out as being a bit odd. There's a listing for a 3O12 service in the heading from Manchester Mayfield at 00:00 to Crawley, but the timetable only seems to show times from Manchester Piccadilly at 00:15. There doesn't seem to be a listing showing it shunting from Mayfield to Piccadilly in the opposite (Down) timetable direction.

Does anyone know how this service would have operated?

I've recently found a Working Timetable for 1984-1985 and there was a service from Mayfield which stood out as being a bit odd. There's a listing for a 3O12 service in the heading from Manchester Mayfield at 00:00 to Crawley, but the timetable only seems to show times from Manchester Piccadilly at 00:15. There doesn't seem to be a listing showing it shunting from Mayfield to Piccadilly in the opposite (Down) timetable direction.

Does anyone know how this service would have operated?

Would shunting moves (as opposed to trip workings) be covered by a timetabled move, or would they be worked on an ad-hoc basis between the signal box and the people on the ground? I could imagine the train being loaded at Mayfield, then shunted across to Picadilly once the evening traffic had thinned out a bit.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Excellent. I just love the 50s at Piccadilly.

How about a 50 on one platform and a 76/77 on another?...

Kev.

I never saw that at Piccadilly but did on one occasion at Crewe Works, when locos on delivery from EE were parked up outside the Signal Shop where I was working.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I never saw that at Piccadilly but did on one occasion at Crewe Works, when locos on delivery from EE were parked up outside the Signal Shop where I was working.

They ran from Crewe to Carlisle on test with a long train of maroon coaches.  I saw D400 and a couple of other early ones at Settle.  Somewhere I've got a couple of slides of 50's at Crewe.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

They ran from Crewe to Carlisle on test with a long train of maroon coaches.  I saw D400 and a couple of other early ones at Settle.  Somewhere I've got a couple of slides of 50's at Crewe.

Jamie

1T60 was the usual Crewe Test Train reporting number. The test train also ran up the Chester line on occasions. The Pway nearly clattered one of the D400s with 60 feet of 109lb at Tattenhall Road when we were covering a between-trains rail change in the summer of 1968

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

1T60 was the usual Crewe Test Train reporting number. The test train also ran up the Chester line on occasions. The Pway nearly clattered one of the D400s with 60 feet of 109lb at Tattenhall Road when we were covering a between-trains rail change in the summer of 1968

Going a bit off topic the one they used on the S&C was 19 coaches.  It certainly made them sound good going up the valley with that load on.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

That photo from Hugh Searle is a classic find in showing the heavy catenary gantries into Piccadilly in a grey light as well as the definitive proof of 84010 running into Mayfield with a parcels train. Evocative.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

The original question of whether Mayfield was wired was answered by halfway down page 1. The question then moved on to whether it was wired under the main canopies or was it just the southern/western-most platform which was outside the main canopy and had rather more headroom for the OHL as a result.

I have recently acquired a 1970 WTT for Manchester, and as others have reported, there were a number of electrically hauled trains to Mayfield, as well as diesel hauled services. The electric services are spaced out throughout the day and could have been worked with just one arrival and departure platform quite easily, especially with the diesel pilot shuffling vans in and out of the platforms under the main canopy.

I have yet to see any evidence that the roads under the main canopy were wired, and comments made by railmen on other forums suggest that they were not.