Was Manchester Mayfield station (and latterly parcels terminal) ever electrified?

GordonC

As an aside I can add that some Newton Heath drivers were trained on class 50's for the Manchester/Glasgow services. One of the Bradford Barton albums has a picture of a 50 passing Deal street, Manchester Victoria. One of the reasons for the non developement of Mayfield is (I suspect)the plan to quadruple the track layout from there towards Oxford road station.

As an aside I can add that some Newton Heath drivers were trained on class 50's for the Manchester/Glasgow services. One of the Bradford Barton albums has a picture of a 50 passing Deal street, Manchester Victoria. One of the reasons for the non developement of Mayfield is (I suspect)the plan to quadruple the track layout from there towards Oxford road station.

The plan is to quadruple the track through Piccadilly but this won't impinge on the Mayfield site - there is space for a second viaduct with another island platform and it doesn't even touch the Star and Garter pub.  It would then revert to double track past the University with longer loops at Oxford Road.  However all this is in some doubt due to increased costs and shortage of money. 

Mayfield itself is expected to be flattened and re-developed.  There is no railway use for another group of east-facing platforms that can only be accessed from the Slow lines, which will be full with all the trains running through to/from Oxford Road and beyond.  The nine dead-end platforms in the train shed are better operationally and more convenient for passengers. 

Twelve in the train shed. The disused ones on the Fairfield St side were brought back into use about 15 years ago.

True, not sure why I was thinking of nine.  In my defence, 11 and 12 are operationally awkward, but probably not as much so as Mayfield would be. 

Mayfield itself is expected to be flattened and re-developed.

The plans are still being developed but complete demolition appears unlikely - at the City Council meeting to confirm the development partner, retention was cited as a key element of the successful bidders proposed approach:

"A high value given to retaining existing heritage assets. The retention of the former Mayfield Depot building is the primary concept, in order to create a distinctive sense of place. However, this would need to be agreed with Network Rail as the main part of the depot is currently identified as a required compound site for the Northern Hub works at Piccadilly"

You can get an idea of the current thinking from the images on the Skyscrapercity thread.

Edited by Christopher125

HS2 booking hall and platforms will go adjacent to platform 1, the old NHS building on the station approach is in the final stages of redevelopement to a hotel. The north tower block which is currently home to Northern and Virgin crews is schedualed for demolition,opening up the accees to a new concourse and pltforms for HS2.

Edited by w124bob

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some new pics of Mayfield on Disused Stations and it wasn't wired under the canopies, not even up to the canopies.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/m/manchester_mayfield/index20.shtml 

The link appears not to be working

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/m/manchester_mayfield/index.shtml

• RMweb Gold

Not directly related to the original question, but, I have a ER section E WTT dated 3 May 1971 to 30th April 1972, and all the references to Manchester Mayfield parcels trains are struck out in biro by the original recipient and replaced by Manchester Piccadilly as the terminating station.

Mike.