The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Gold

One of the issues with W10 is the title bar colour, or rather the lack of it.  Furthermore, you can no longer differentiate between the active and inactive windows.  The code is apparently still there in W10 but inactive.  You can turn it on with a theme you can download from here:

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-change-title-bar-color-in-windows-10

On my PC the title bar is now the same colour as the taskbar. Also, the close window X box is coloured red for the active window.  A small change, but it makes a huge difference to the look and style.  Hopefully MS will fix this soon.

• RMweb Premium

Had a vist from Somerset county council. They are apparently going through the throes of updating all their machines. They are upgrading to XP, well that is what the guy said. If so, it sort of confirms my suspicions of local gov.

I retired from local govt in 2013. The council was running a mixture of XP and Vista. When I left they were planning to upgrade to 7; Win 8 had been out a year. The policy was always to be at least one upgrade behind, to ensure the OS had most of the bugs and teething troubles dealt with. This saved money on IT support and general time wasted. I would have thought leaving an upgrade to XP until now was a bit over cautious.

Various PCs were to be left running XP as some programs wouldn't work on later machines. We also kept one with a floppy disc reader to access older data. Unfortunately it was found that a load of discs were corrupted, apparently by mere age.

I'm still contemplating 10; I shall keep following this thread, it's very informative.

Pete

Finding W10 relatively OK.  Minor panic when I thought I had lost all my 'favourites folders' from IE, which I ran separately from Google favourites, because IE of course is no more.  Found it had automatically transferred them to the Google listings.  The toolbar works differently too.  Icons are crowded together but you can drag them to the desktop from the second tool bar if you want to move them and they reappear on the 'main' toolbar having shuffled another image across to take their place.  Of course it helps if one has re-arranged less used icons to the right of the bar first.  Guess who didn't...................

One other problem is that the simple image manipulation suite previously associated with Windows 7 is no more, and there is a version of 'Paint' there instead.  As I regularly bulk copied and resized images before sending them to folks whose internet connections are poorer than mine it really is a pain in the arras......

• RMweb Gold

Minor panic when I thought I had lost all my 'favourites folders' from IE, which I ran separately from Google favourites, because IE of course is no more.  

One other problem is that the simple image manipulation suite previously associated with Windows 7 is no more, and there is a version of 'Paint' there instead.  As I regularly bulk copied and resized images before sending them to folks whose internet connections are poorer than mine it really is a pain in the arras......

IE is still there and alive and well.  MS do have their replacement ("Edge") but it's still early days and I'm not using it yet - at least not until it comes up to the same standards as IE.

What image manipulation suite do you think is missing?

I've every intention of updating a couple of machines to W10, probably in 2nd qtr of 2016, when I should have the time and the OS has settled down. I checked on the Dell website to see which of the machines I have are "approved" for upgrade, and was mildly surprised to find that only two of those I have were. I have other slightly older Win7/8 machines not apparently tested and approved for upgrade.

I see Classic Shell has been updated for W10, and I'd probably install that to produce the menu style I want.

Colin

• Like 1

Hi Adams 442t,

Download a copy of Irfan view, and the addons. You can batch convert your images if needed. One of the reasons, afaik, that M$ has given up on media centre, is that there is far better free stuff out there (and in reality, much of that stuff is not really part of an 'operating system'.

One problem I've run into is passwords - If I log in to the pc with my email address, I can't see some shared folders on the server, since the server does not recognise user names with special symbols. Easy enough to get over, but reminds me of in the past, passwords needing to be case sensitive, but m$ capitalised the first letter of whatever you typed in.

• RMweb Premium

Go to Windows Update->Installed updates, remove KB3035583.

You will also need to hide the update again in windows updates to prevent it from auto installing again since this is marked “important”.

Cheers

Done as you said.

Removed KB3035583 from the installed updates (Took ages)

Re-boot machine.

Exactly the same as before, window comes up and tries to install Win10.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

What a PITA!

Sorry, don't know what else to suggest, I'm afraid.

I assume it has gone past the "notification" stage and actually downloaded it and put a flag to show it is now ready to install.

Not sure why it did, I checked and I'm definitely not in "auto-update + install" mode, but in "notify me when updates are available" mode

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I do:

:D

OK for people who don't mind half their hardware not working!

My scanner is not supported by Linux, My video capture card is not supported by Linux etc. etc. Even the (possibly now defunct) photo printer was emasculated when used on Linux.

Did anybody ever get a Lenz LI-USB to work on Linux?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

If it has downloaded, it will be on your C: (or whatever drive your windows partition is on) in the $windows.~BT folder.

That's where I found it on my C: drive, so just deleted it (with no ill effects to date) but I would exercise caution as always with deleting system files.

Cheers and good luck

• RMweb Gold

I took the jump last night, thanks to all who have highlighted the point to switch off all the microsoft data syphoning :)

On the whole it seems ok, will take a little getting used to but instantly prefer it to 8.1, it did seem to take a long time to get going at first but I think that is because it was dealing with apps etc.

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Either your scanner is very old or extremely new, or from a vendor that refuses to release Linux-compatible drivers, but most scanners can be made to work using the sane tool. Likewise the video capture card, given that Linux is the OS of several commercial PVR and media centre devices. Perhaps just requiring firmware? In any case, troubleshooting remotely is a right PITA.

For lack of said interface, I haven't. But the device is supported in Rocrail, which also runs on Linux, so yes, that should work :yes:

It's nothing to do with drivers (apart from the capture card which didn't even get a Win 7 driver update when just 4 years old!), they are available.

Making them work and working as intended are not the same thing. Yes I did get the scanner and printer working in Fedora and (K)ubuntu, but lacking some of the key features that made them more than just basic kit meant they were effectively strangled by Linux.

The Linux software for them is pants and doesn't allow many of the extra functions that the original (Win or Mac) software does.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against Linux but promoting it as a straight choice with Windows (Or Mac) when the software support for peripherals is lacking is a little OOT.

My (basic, £30) Canon printer worked exactly the same in Linux as Windows, but it doesn't have any fancy functions.

There were 4 pages of posts on here in 2010 about my trying to get a LI-USB working on Linux, I never did.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/17025-jmri-with-lenz-li-usb-using-linux/?p=161524

Keith

Edited by melmerby

IE is still there and alive and well.  MS do have their replacement ("Edge") but it's still early days and I'm not using it yet - at least not until it comes up to the same standards as IE.

What image manipulation suite do you think is missing?

Hi Adams 442t,

Download a copy of Irfan view, and the addons. You can batch convert your images if needed. One of the reasons, afaik, that M$ has given up on media centre, is that there is far better free stuff out there (and in reality, much of that stuff is not really part of an 'operating system'.

One problem I've run into is passwords - If I log in to the pc with my email address, I can't see some shared folders on the server, since the server does not recognise user names with special symbols. Easy enough to get over, but reminds me of in the past, passwords needing to be case sensitive, but m$ capitalised the first letter of whatever you typed in.

Thanks for that, I'm not sure of the name it used, but it came up automatically when you double clicked on an image, and took you to the complete set of images from that date.  Then you could click on 'edit' and resize / crop / adjust the image - simply!    I have Photoshop, but its a pain to use it when you just want to resize a batch of images, and the new W10 freebie is the same, as you have to adjust each image.

Although the original IE has been wiped, you are right in that I've found it still at the top of various separate sites such as the dreaded Face Book.  Thanks again!

• RMweb Gold

The photo-editing software might be Microsoft Office Picture Manager - it comes with all versions of MS Office.

In settings -> system -> default apps you can choose your default browser - you have a choice between IE or Edge. Left-click brings up the choices.

• RMweb Gold

So far so good for my upgrade (from 8.1) too, though this is on a fairly recent laptop with few added apps. I'll see how I get on with it before upgrading my win7 machine,with lots of apps, although it says all is compatible. The comments in this thread were helpful in making the decision to upgrade. On the subject of XP, I still keep it on one machine, to run the old bundled software for my laser cutter, but it's no longer connected to the internet, so fairly safe.

Thanks

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Anybody know whether the Media Player is exactly the same as the latest versions in Win 7 & 8?

I have a lot of music files in Flac format and use the codec that is available for Media Player on Win 7.

I'd rather not have to install anything else!

The Xiph.org codec is Version 0.85.17777 from 2011.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Anybody know whether the Media Player is exactly the same as the latest versions in Win 7 & 8?

Windows Media Player is working fine on Windows 10 for me. It is no longer the default player for video, but still seems to be the default for music.

I don't have that codec so I can't say for sure, but as far as I can see it is the same as on Windows 7 and 8.1

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

A friend has just upgraded to 10 from 7, now his wifi doesn't work. He's got internet access via a ethernet cable temporarily, but would like his wifi working.

I'm imagining this is driver or compatibility mode related, but not conversant with the places to look in the 7 OS, as I run vista.

Anyone else had wifi problems?

MTIA

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253

Hi,

A friend has just upgraded to 10 from 7, now his wifi doesn't work. He's got internet access via a ethernet cable temporarily, but would like his wifi working.

I'm imagining this is driver or compatibility mode related, but not conversant with the places to look in the 7 OS, as I run vista.

Anyone else had wifi problems?

MTIA

Rob

Upgraded my laptop last week, all OK.

Yesterday there was update package after which my Wi-fi stopped working. Found my laptop was now set to "Flight Mode", so turned that off.

Still would not connect, so tried to restart the laptop, but it would not shut down. Forced it to shut down via the power button and then restarted.

Seems now to be OK.

Don't like these forced updates.

Brian G.

• RMweb Premium

Decided to do my first update Win 7 to Win 10, so I thought it would be a good idea to start wih a back up to an external drive.

I can't, it gets so far then fails with not a lot of info why it hasn't completed.

Tried to back up to different drive - same result!

Oh Dear!

Keith

Thought it was too good to be true..........

This am it started with, "we cannot bring you the start up at present - please sign out and we hope to have it available when you come back"

Needless to say it hasn't been, either in Home or Office profiles, and it sits in the middle of the screen not allowing me to use any 'Office' functions, and even if I could I couldn't send them anywhere.  My Chromebook, which I'm writing this on, doesn't have all my files on it (yet!) to enable me to bypass it.  A real PITA!!! :banghead:

Edited by Adams442T

• RMweb Premium

I've found this http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-no-wi-fi-available-after-windows-10-upgrade-issue-heres-how/

Not been tried yet by my friend but sems to be exactly what he's got.

I'll report back with the results later.

Rob

Hi,

It didn't work, so now it looks like finding new drivers or dropping back to Windows 7 for a bit.

Rob