The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I've checked all 4 PCs for "perfmon /rel"

My main Core i7 desktop registers between 1 and 2 (!!!) - lots of various issues

This is a well specified machine with a fast processor, 16Gb memory and a SSD drive for Windows

Secondary desktop 4-5 (this is an really old machine)

Both have plenty of "Windows didn't shut down properly" messages

I have taken to waiting about 10 seconds after all lights have gone out and the problem goes, if I don't wait the 10secs the problem shows up.

SWMBO's cheapo laptop is 10 - no issues at all

My expensive Core i7 laptop is 9 - some minor issues

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I had this today from a friend - I know nothing about the truth or accuracy, but it may be of interest

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/09/windows-10-data-tracking-spying-levels/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

New study reveals what Windows 10 is doing behind your back, and it's shocking...

Unfortunately most people won't care. However useful and innocent what's getting sent back is the fact that it's impossible to turn off really crosses a line, even if I would be inclined to turn it on if it was optional. It's probably the biggest turn-off with Windows 10 for me (at least the UI problems can probably be overcome with third party software).

I had this today from a friend - I know nothing about the truth or accuracy, but it may be of interest

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/09/windows-10-data-tracking-spying-levels/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

New study reveals what Windows 10 is doing behind your back, and it's shocking...

Shocking maybe, but no surprise. Micros**t won't say what they are collecting or why. The built in use of 'cloud' storage and collection of wi-fi passwords to share with your contacts (which they also slurp) make the whole thing ridiculously insecure.

• RMweb Premium

Shocking maybe, but no surprise. Micros**t won't say what they are collecting or why. The built in use of 'cloud' storage and collection of wi-fi passwords to share with your contacts (which they also slurp) make the whole thing ridiculously insecure.

I think that the online storage and password sharing at least can be turned off (although it's bad if they're on by default).

• RMweb Gold
shortliner, on 11 Feb 2016 - 10:02, said:

I think you have to look at this in perspective.  It's written in typical headline-grabbing, Microsoft-bashing style, and by referring to it as "spying" is presupposing that what MS are doing is malicious. The first thing I would want to know is what is this PC doing? It's contacting MS 700 times per hour? Given that there are over 150m W10 PCs today, and they're all doing the same, that's the equivalent of 105bn transaction to MS per hour. Really? I don't think so. I suspect the PC has been set up to run a particular workload cycling round loads of different apps precisely in order to generate these figures. The results from a "typical" user may well be a fraction of this number.

Personally I'm not worried. MS have said the data they collect is telemetry and has no personal information.  If it helps MS make W10 better that's OK by me. If I use an MS app, and it suffers a failure, I'm quite happy for diagnostic data to be sent back to MS.

• RMweb Premium

We have had all this scaremongering before and it's frankly nothing.

Do you think going Apple would be any different? If you do you are sadly mistaken!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I think that the online storage and password sharing at least can be turned off (although it's bad if they're on by default).

Turn everything off that can be turned off.

I have

BTW that's how the modern generation seem to operate - share everything with everybody.

Social media wouldn't exist if people were a little more circumspect about what they tell others.

Keith

I installed Windows 10 and noticed a massive drop in Internet and download speed. After a bit of investigation I discovered that Windows actually runs a p2p sharing system all of the time it's switched on in the background, along with a load of other unnecessary bandwidth sapping things. Switched it all off and disabled auto updates and hey presto, back to tip top speed. Why build into a brand new shiny operating system something which is so restrictive on performance? One would have thought they would have the hang of it by now.

• RMweb Premium

I installed Windows 10 and noticed a massive drop in Internet and download speed. After a bit of investigation I discovered that Windows actually runs a p2p sharing system all of the time it's switched on in the background, along with a load of other unnecessary bandwidth sapping things. Switched it all off and disabled auto updates and hey presto, back to tip top speed. Why build into a brand new shiny operating system something which is so restrictive on performance? One would have thought they would have the hang of it by now.

You say that it runs a particular piece of software, then don't name it. How can we check to see if same thing is happening?

Edit.

I pressed send too early! I forgot to add, that I have a slow ADSL connection & would certainly notice if anything hogged my internet. The only program I had, that has significantly slowed my PC & internet down, was Dropbox on my Win 7 before it was upgraded to Win 10. I turned it off in Win 7 (not easily) & Win 10, didn't re-establish it.

Edited by kevinlms

As others had said here, but maybe a bit more background as to what b*ll*cks that article is. http://www.zdnet.com/article/when-it-comes-to-windows-10-privacy-dont-trust-amateur-analysts/

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well it's finally got me! I've been holding off installation as long as I could.

Was using the PC a couple of days ago and had a pop up message saying V10 install was starting in an hour. (Didn't even realise it had downloaded, my fault I know for not changing the download settings). I closed the pop up window, carried on working and all was well.

Thinking about it I probably shut down before the hour was up.

Anyway, was busy working away this morning when same message pops up.

Did the same, closed the window, carried on working and,you guessed, screen goes blank, message appears, windows 10 installation started.

Probably means I've lost all I was doing (I know I should have paid more attention to the message).

Wouldn't mind so much but was working on something I need for the weekend, and I was already behind schedule.

Will probably lose another day now trying to get everything working.

Anyway I'm off out to enjoy the sunshine for a couple of hours and leave Windows 10 to do its worst

End of rant.

• RMweb Gold

Mine download it,I think, but it gets a task bar about 1/4 saying preparing to install and that's as far as it goes. I've even left it overnight. Any clues would be good

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Well Windows 10 install completed in about an hour,

and when I logged back in and ran Open Office it even gave me the option to recover the document I was working on so not too much lost.

Only problem I now have is no internet connection.

Emailed the stepson who's a bit of a wizkid on these things.

He sent me some instructions, something about deleting network drivers and restarting to allow Windows to reinstall them.

I followed them to the letter, or thought I did,

deleted the driver I thought I was using and when I restarted not only did that one not reinstall, but most of the other network drivers have disappeared too!

Can see we'll be inviting him round for a meal soon,

then get him to sort it out while he is here.

In the meantime it's a good job I've got the tablet.

Mine download it,I think, but it gets a task bar about 1/4 saying preparing to install and that's as far as it goes. I've even left it overnight. Any clues would be good

Cheers

Google windows 10 update stuck - seems to be unfortunately a common occurrence.  Just watch out that its a thread re the actual upgrade to W10 rather than updates of W10 that it is refers to.

Well my old Win 7 computer with 80GB was getting on a bit, and getting full also, also it was not really fit for Win 10 upgrade so I bought a new Asus from PC World for just over £300, Win 10 pre-loaded, 3 TB storage, 8 GB memory & 3.5 GHz processor. Certainly not the best, but more than good enough for me.

Had it now for a few weeks and I am very pleased with it. As mentioned in a previous post I also have turned off / not initiated things I do not want (Cortana etc). It is light years ahead of my first computer, a Tiny (remember those) Win 98 with 8 GB storage. Still have it - a museum piece !!

All the "old" things Win XP & 7 had are still there, you just have to look for them, here is where Google is your friend !!

Brit15

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

a Tiny (remember those) Win 98 with 8 GB storage.

Brit15

My first PC (I also had a BBC B and a Master!) was a "Reeves" with 4Mb of memory and 170Mb disk (that was an optional extra, the basic was 80Mb!) I opted for better graphics & monitor - SVGA 1024x768 which was also an upgrade over the basic 640x480!

It was supplied with DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 on floppy disks which one had to install oneself! It was slower than the Beeb!

A CD-ROM came later and that plugged into an interface on a Soundblaster clone audio card.

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

my first computer, a Tiny (remember those) Win 98 with 8 GB storage.

Yep, the first computer I ever bought and paid for myself. It had a turbo button on the front - you had the choice of making it run quickly or slowly, I can't think I ever pressed it.

• Like 2

Come on you modernists !

Did non of you ever have a Spectrum 128K with a tape cassette to load programs and plugged in to a TV ?

I even advanced to a Microdrive later (still got them all somewhere)

Hard Drives totally out of financial reach for most people and the size of a record player at that time.

• RMweb Gold

Come on you modernists !

Did non of you ever have a Spectrum 128K with a tape cassette to load programs and plugged in to a TV ?

I even advanced to a Microdrive later (still got them all somewhere)

Hard Drives totally out of financial reach for most people and the size of a record player at that time.

128K ??? - luxury lad, I had t'16k spectrum.

128K ??? - luxury lad, I had t'16k spectrum.

1k ZX81 I bought with my paper-round money.

The round obviously was uphill both ways.