RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Gold

In W10 it's usually possible to scroll using TWO separated fingers on the touchpad—works with my HP laptop anyway. Possibly worth a try?

Tried that.  No luck.  Perhaps my two fingers were the wrong way around?!

• RMweb Gold

The first link didn't prevent the driver updating.  I checked before and after the update and the box was still ticked but seems to have no effect.  (It has, however, lead me to parts of Windows 10 which may prove useful in the future.)

The second link looks more promising.  It leads to a Microsoft diagnostics tool which seems to have no more functionality than the old Windows update process where you could select updates you wanted and "hide" updates you didn't want.  As yet unproven for me but because of theway in which the tool appeared to work, I'm hopeful.

Thanks RFS.

Windows is basically catching up with Apple in making a thorough nuisance of itself.

Long ago, a Mac was technically much better than MS because it had what amounted to Windows long before MS did. But, functionally MS was better because it was universally available and all the proprietary packages (like Supercalc and the various survey programmes I used at the time) worked with it, but weren't available for Mac.

Then MS introduced Windows and left Mac far behind, unless you were in the publishing business where it was regarded as better for graphics for some reason.

Windows started to come off the rails after W7, as it increasingly chased the market I've sometimes heard described as "Futilities" (as opposed to Utilities). That's where it saw the $$$$$$. No 1 Son works for a web developer and he sometimes uses a Mac, his description is "good for some things but I wouldn't buy one". No 2 Son had one as a student but again, now he is actually a working engineer the Mac is forgotten.

• RMweb Gold

The first link didn't prevent the driver updating.  I checked before and after the update and the box was still ticked but seems to have no effect.  (It has, however, lead me to parts of Windows 10 which may prove useful in the future.)

The second link looks more promising.  It leads to a Microsoft diagnostics tool which seems to have no more functionality than the old Windows update process where you could select updates you wanted and "hide" updates you didn't want.  As yet unproven for me but because of theway in which the tool appeared to work, I'm hopeful.

Thanks RFS.

Well, after a day of having a perfectly working track pad I'm now back to square one.  The settings were ignored, the driver updated overnight and the Microsoft diagnostics tool found nothing to fix this time.

I read several pages further on the forum to which RFS' link takes you and this seems to be a consistent problem.

Looks like I underestimated Microsoft's arrogance again!

• RMweb Premium

Looks like I underestimated Microsoft's arrogance again!

You get the same problem when "trying" to uninstall unwanted apps.

Even the "techs" on the MS forum seem clueless as they tell you you can uninstall app X by doing Y and then admitting later that they didn't realise it wont do it!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Something that really puzzles me is the "Perfmon /rel" command which is used to display the perfomance of the computer and gives a rating of 1-10.

I carry this out on the 4 computers in the household varying from the 10+ year old AMD 64 to the other much newer PC's

3 of them give a rating of 10 (The old AMD machine and 2 laptops)

My best PC which has a 240Gb SSD for drive C: 16Gb Memory, 8Gb graphics and a Corei7 processor gives this:

It says Windows did not shut down correctly, which is wrong!

I wait 15-20secs after everything has gone dead and all disks haved stopped spinning and leds are out before turning off the mains.

post-6208-0-45471900-1460810805_thumb.jpg

It also went for a week showing multiple program failures including ones which were supposedly uninstalled such as this batch of "Skype" problems:

post-6208-0-86038100-1460811169_thumb.jpg

Anybody else get these sort of reports?

The computer itself seems to work fine I haven't noticed any problems with the programs I am using!

I wonder whether it's something to do with having a SSD as the Windows disk?

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if you've got your power button configured on this errant PC to enter sleep mode or hibernate, rather than shut down.  Control Panel -> power options -> choose what the power buttons do.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if you've got your power button configured on this errant PC to enter sleep mode or hibernate, rather than shut down.  Control Panel -> power options -> choose what the power buttons do.

Power settings are "Never" for shutdown/sleep and I turn off using the "windows icon, power, shut down" sequence and wait for total inactivity before turning off power at the 13A socket

Keith

Hi Keith, just checked mine - far worse than yours... It's on 24/7, backs up at about 3am to home server, often in morning I have to power it up.  I have a number of 32 bit progs, simply copied over from old os to this 64 bit system, no proper install procedure was used, I'm not surprised it's a bit flaky. I had problems with the ssd being used as the page file, got a few bsod's, so I changed page file to another hdd, and now is much better.  The most prolific error is something to do with Lavasoft - I'll most likely remove that.

• RMweb Premium

.  The most prolific error is something to do with Lavasoft - I'll most likely remove that.

That's (usually) Ad Aware which I find is extremely useful.

I haven't had a problem with that.

Most of the "XXXX has stopped working" errors are (but not exclusively) MS apps bundled with Win 10.

Strange thing is the PC works fine and I haven't noticed any problems apart from the occasional "Firefox is not responding" which doesn't show in that list.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Power settings are "Never" for shutdown/sleep and I turn off using the "windows icon, power, shut down" sequence and wait for total inactivity before turning off power at the 13A socket

Keith

OK - perhaps try another test.  Shut down the PC as you normally do, but instead of then powering it off at the plug, reboot it.  Does it reboot or appear to resume from sleep or hibernate? If it reboots, then what does Perfmon say?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK - perhaps try another test.  Shut down the PC as you normally do, but instead of then powering it off at the plug, reboot it.  Does it reboot or appear to resume from sleep or hibernate? If it reboots, then what does Perfmon say?

Definitely powered down. When restarted it does the full boot up from BIOS

If tell it to sleep the power led on the tower flashes and a restart is from the log in screen.

Nothing shown on perfmon but it doesn't always do it.*

I am suspicious that a lot of these "error" reports are false as I have at least one instance of "Windows was not properly shut down" complete with time stamp and shortly after other reports from an app with later time stamps which suggests that activity was still going on after Windows had supposedly shut down!

e.g.

post-6208-0-89634000-1460844977.jpg

Cheers

Keith

*EDIT it now shows "Windows was not properly shut down" in perfmon!

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I am suspicious that a lot of these "error" reports are false as I have at least one instance of "Windows was not properly shut down" complete with time stamp and shortly after other reports from an app with later time stamps which suggests that activity was still going on after Windows had supposedly shut down!

Cheers

Keith

*EDIT it now shows "Windows was not properly shut down" in perfmon!

I think that the mistake you're making is that, after all these years MS has been around, that an error message ought to make sense!

Repeating messages, may be worth while chasing them down, but obscure ones are likely to take more time, than they're worth.

Windows help, is likely to take you back to your starting point at least once!

• RMweb Premium

Switched off fast boot and I haven't had a "Windows was not properly shut down" error since, doesn't seem to have affect the boot up time either.

However everytime I shut down I now get "SVCHost.exe stopped working"!

Keith

This morning my laptop chucked me out of RMweb, restarted and loaded Windows 10.  I do not believe that I asked it to do so.  Oh well, better get used to it.

Chris

How's it going?  Mine's just told me it's about to do that, and it's apparently not giving me any choice - either tonight or tomorrow.

Edited by johnarcher

• RMweb Gold

Don't want Windows 10? Turn off updates. Nowhere in my paid for licence for Windows 7 does it say "all your computers are belong to Micros**t".

As has been said above - your hardware is yours, but the (Windows) software isn't. In the good old days once bought software was owned by the purchaser, nowadays most (all?) software "bought" licenses you to use it.

Nowhere in my paid for licence for Windows 7 does it say "all your computers are belong to Micros**t".

There is no compulsion to connect to the internet or download unwanted updates in the licence 'agreement'.

The business of "my computer started installing Windows 10 this morning and I can't do anything about it" is what I'm talking about, not licence term and agreements.

A computer is a tool. If you don't need a new head on your yard brush you don't fit one. If you don't need Windows 10 (which doesn't work properly yet and probably won't for some time) don't install it.

Turn off updates. Simples.