The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

I dumped an old scanner when XP wouldn't recognize it. But all through from 1989 I was able to use Windows 'Photodraw', the best commercial art program I have ever come across. All the book covers I designed for Foxline would have been impossible without it (used in conjunction with Photo Shop), but then things hit the buffers with Windows10.  Crazy!

I should add that all this pales into insignificance beside the tactics of the still-photography and video world, as anyone who has been involved with it for the past forty-odd years will know.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Well, bit embarrassed to say but I found a 'cracked'* version of VueScan (for evaluation purposes only) and it still won't scan film or trannies. At least I can scan hard copy. I just installed using win XPsp2 compatibility... WinXP!

*it's not something I like to do in the slightest, as you should always pay up and support developers!

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Well, bit embarrassed to say but I found a 'cracked'* version of VueScan (for evaluation purposes only) and it still won't scan film or trannies. At least I can scan hard copy. I just installed using win XPsp2 compatibility... WinXP!

*it's not something I like to do in the slightest, as you should always pay up and support developers!

VueScan comes in two flavours, an expensive one that scans films/transparencies and a cheapo version that only does basic scanning.

Keith

EDIT you can use a fully functioning version of either for evaluation purposes but you will get a watermark on scans

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

I'm surprised that Canon haven't updated the software for it. I see there aren't any updates since 2009 and it says Win 10 isn't supported.

My Epson 4990 is fully supported in Win 10 by drivers & a utility from 2007!

It shows just how different companies approach such things.

Why does my 2007 software work (and is recommended by Epson for use with Win 10) when Canon's doesn't?

Keith

After a lot of years working in technical support in the graphics industry, I can tell you that Canon are amongst the worst for updating drivers for any platform, even for their mega-expensive high-end kit. I have watched Canon engineers almost in tears trying to get over these problems.

John

Edited by JJGraphics
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is free open source and works fine with my Canon scanner on Windows 10:

https://www.naps2.com

Martin.

Hi Martin, no support for neg or trannies I'm afraid.

I used the win 7 driver and installed it using win XP sp2 compatibility, works a treat on the flatbed but no option to scan film! 

I like VueScan but not for £60... although an equivalent canon scanner is around £160.  The scanner I have is almost mint but I'm a tight-arse!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin, no support for neg or trannies I'm afraid.

That seems to be the big problem with some of the third party drivers.

I tried after recommendation using Linux for my Epson flatbed.

Same problem, the drivers had no support for film or transparencies. Straight back to Windows.

The Win 10 software I have for my Epson 4990 even has colour temp correction for different makes of film!

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

no support for neg or trannies I'm afraid.

For negs and slides I use one of these for less than £60 : http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ion-slides-forever-film-and-slide-scanner-a76lb

Mine actually came from Lidl for £20. It is basically a cheap and cheerful webcam rather than a scanner, but the results have been quite good. Here's one:

post-1103-0-97230200-1500228207.jpg

Bear in mind that it uses the USB connection for lamp power, so you need a well-specified USB socket or a powered USB hub.

Martin.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

For negs and slides I use one of these for less than £60 : http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ion-slides-forever-film-and-slide-scanner-a76lb

Mine actually came from Lidl for £20. It is basically a cheap and cheerful webcam rather than a scanner, but the results have been quite good. Here's one:

attachicon.gifboyne_gauntlet2.jpg

Bear in mind that it uses the USB connection for lamp power, so you need a well-specified USB socket or a powered USB hub.

Martin.

Thanks Martin, problem solved!

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's not bad resolution for the price but will it do mounted slides?

My flatbed does 8 at a time in one pass

It will also do 24 frames of negs at one go.

But it did cost a lot more!

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

That's not bad resolution for the price but will it do mounted slides?

Yes, two ways.

3 at a time in a sliding frame, or there is a stack holder where you push in one at a time from the bottom of the stack.

The stack holder works best with thick-mount slides. The thin ones tend to double feed, and are not held firmly for scanning. The holder could be easily modified with some thin plastcard packing, but I tend to prefer the sliding frame for thin-mount slides.

See an image preview, press GO if you want the scan.

For the money it is brilliant, especially if you can find the Lidl or Aldi branded version.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In line with the thread title, sadly yes and the overnight major update has b***red up my system again with a repeat of the PC won't turn off/just restarts fault I've already fixed once after a lot of angst. Don't suppose anyone has a bookmarked link they can copy/paste to a site with the command line prompt edits that fix it?  I stupidly forgot to do that, assuming once fixed always fixed!

Micro-sh-one-te  are not my friend tonight!!!

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

Not sure of your solution but this is useful for checking things :

Assuming you can get an *administrator* level cmd prompt

sfc /scannow

or

sfc /scanonce to scan at next reboot

• RMweb Premium

In line with the thread title, sadly yes and the overnight major update has b***red up my system

What major upgrade?

There hasn't been anything released by MS for two to three weeks.

My last Windows update took me to version 1703 (15063,483) on 12 July and since then only Defender and the odd app have updated (and you don't usually notice those)

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

What major upgrade?

There hasn't been anything released by MS for two to three weeks.

My last Windows update took me to version 1703 (15063,483) on 12 July and since then only Defender and the odd app have updated (and you don't usually notice those)

Cheers

Keith

Whatever number the upgrade was it had taken over three hours to install when I got brassed off with waiting so I went to bed leaving the PC on. Had been away for a few days so possibly a delayed item. Will check later. May not have been major in Windows terms, but was in time consumption.

For now I'm tempted to just do a restore to previous state as at present I've too much on to faff about with resetting Windows just so the damn thing will switch itself off. I can do most things on my Mac laptop, which runs faster, but some things are on my PC for legacy reasons.

Edit - PS have also just remembered before I opted to run it there had been one of those do now, remind later, don't do menu choice options. Might therefore have been the reminder option from a previous deferral.

Edited by john new

I had this upgrade last week - I think they must distribute them at various dates. Usefully says this is a major upgrade and will take some time, but that is after it has committed to the process. Mine sorted itself out, eventually.

• RMweb Gold

Update - I tried the option via Control Panel of turning off Fast start again today and this time it has done the trick; yesterday that was first thing I tried and it made no difference!

I don't actually use my Win10 machines very frequently, but they had had ample opportunity to update to v1703 by this last week. The routine updates went through, but the basic version was still 1607. I therefore used the software to "request" the update. It took a good 12 hours(overnight) and some repeat goes before the update software told me one program should be un-installed before it would go ahead. This was done, and 2/3 hours later, the update completed and I re-installed the offending program, which seems to work fine.

I had expected to receive the 1607>1703 update much earlier, but the delay certainly suggests that the update is phased to different users.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

The most recent update I had was a cumulative update for version 1703 on 12 July (KB4025342) , the first update I had to 1703 was on the 7th June (KB4020102), the update from 1607 > 1703 was before that.

(Version 1703 was first released on 11th April 2017.)

Keith

EDIT in the update history KB4020102 shows as "failed to install" 14 times on 7 June (I hadn't noticed that!)

Edited by melmerby

• 2 weeks later...

My laptop apparently tried and failed to install KB4032188 a number of times  but now has installed the later KB4034674 so presumably has the KB4032188 bits as a result. The side effect was the battery power icon vanished from the taskbar near the clock; to get it back I had to go into Device Manager, disable both Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery (both under Batteries) and then re-enable  them.