Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

Peace at last!

Instead of the phone ringing with almost predictable regularity, with my daughter on the other end saying, "Dad, the PC won't . . . ," I have just experienced the best month of modelling time I have been able to enjoy for quite some time.

How has that been achieved? No, my daughter and son-in-law have not been on a month-long cruise. I stuck my hand in my pocket and bought them a refurbished Apple iMac for Christmas. I am now finally free of the endless loop of re-fixing their fairly new WIndows10 PC and its constant problems!

John

(Edited to correct spelling.)

Edited by JJGraphics
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Peace at last!

Instead of the phone ringing with almost predictable regularity, with my daughter on the other end saying, "Dad, the PC won't . . . ," I have just experienced the best month of modelling time I have been able to enjoy for quite some time.

How has that been achieved? No, my daughter and son-in-law have not been on a month-long cruise. I stuck my hand in my pocket and bought them a refurbished Apple iMac for Christmas. I am now finally free of the endless loop of re-fixing their fairly new WIndows10 PC and its constant problems!

John

(Edited to correct spelling.)

Excellent news for you - enjoy the cheque book computing exprience. My daughter has Windows 10 and never has problems because she is locked out of Admin functions and so gets what she's given, no freedom to install the latest xyz package for sharing pouting photos of herself, consequently the PC doesn't crash - with or without updates. If she wants / needs something she has to see me.

BTW - a recent Apple bug gave anyone who could press return full access to everything on a Mac - don't recall a Windows update ever doing that.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The latest update seems to be dribbling through

My laptop picked it up a couple of days ago but neither SWMBO's laptop or my main desktop have got it yet.

I'll just wait until it comes.

Keith

Excellent news for you - enjoy the cheque book computing exprience. My daughter has Windows 10 and never has problems because she is locked out of Admin functions and so gets what she's given, no freedom to install the latest xyz package for sharing pouting photos of herself, consequently the PC doesn't crash - with or without updates. If she wants / needs something she has to see me.

BTW - a recent Apple bug gave anyone who could press return full access to everything on a Mac - don't recall a Windows update ever doing that.

She has to see you . . . exactly!

• RMweb Premium

Keith / Melmerby, are you still referring to KB4058258 (which has installed ok on my laptop) in post #1646 or  do you know of another update in the pipeline please ?

Thanks,

John

• RMweb Premium

Keith / Melmerby, are you still referring to KB4058258 (which has installed ok on my laptop) in post #1646 or  do you know of another update in the pipeline please ?

Thanks,

John

That's the one.

My desktop hasn't yet found it, neither has SWMBO's laptop (which hasn't had the previous one either!) but my laptop got it a couple of days ago.

Haven't checked the railway room desktop yet but that doesn't get as much use, so can easily be late in updating.

Where MS list the updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4043454

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news for you - enjoy the cheque book computing exprience. 

Having to update recently I gave a spec of what I wanted to do to various companies and what Windows specs that came back were more expensive than an iMac.

To me a computer is just a tool to do a job.

• RMweb Premium

Having to update recently I gave a spec of what I wanted to do to various companies and what Windows specs that came back were more expensive than an iMac.

I find that hard to believe.

When I was looking for a laptop a few years ago I set down a spec that I thought would be reasonable and an Apple Macbook came out much more expensive for the same kit. (£650 against nearly £1600)

Same processor, same size screen, same size HDD, same amount of memory etc

Considering >90% of the internals of a Mac were from the same sources as a Windows PC that's an awfully large mark up for the exclusivity of a logo.

Likewise this desktop, couldn't get near the spec from Apple.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I find that hard to believe.

When I was looking for a laptop a few years ago I set down a spec that I thought would be reasonable and an Apple Macbook came out much more expensive for the same kit. (£650 against nearly £1600)

Same processor, same size screen, same size HDD, same amount of memory etc

Considering >90% of the internals of a Mac were from the same sources as a Windows PC that's an awfully large mark up for the exclusivity of a logo.

Likewise this desktop, couldn't get near the spec from Apple.

Keith

What you were quoted several years ago is £1 more than I paid for a iMac 5 months ago.

Just looking at the quotes the nearest using windows was £1890. I just gave a spec of what I wanted to do and presumed the windows version would be cheapest but it wasn't.

I watch this thread as I have a small laptop using W7 that I use for committee notes and some spreadsheets, I update it when it asks but I don't want it to update to W10. 

• RMweb Premium

What you were quoted several years ago is £1 more than I paid for a iMac 5 months ago.

I'm intrigued.

Where was that iMac from?

I have just picked one dealer (PC World - yes I know!) and the Windows machines at similar price for new iMacs were vastly better specified.

Cheers

Keith

Just looking at the quotes the nearest using windows was £1890. I just gave a spec of what I wanted to do and presumed the windows version would be cheapest but it wasn't.

It really should be.

Plus you'll have a chance of a machine you could upgrade/repair. Very much not a thing on current Macs.

• RMweb Premium

That's the one.

My desktop hasn't yet found it, neither has SWMBO's laptop (which hasn't had the previous one either!) but my laptop got it a couple of days ago.

Haven't checked the railway room desktop yet but that doesn't get as much use, so can easily be late in updating.

Where MS list the updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4043454

Keith

Now on the railway room computer (it's been on for 90mins) and stll no update, It's currently Win 10 1709 16299,192. (Jan 3rd)

Keith

• RMweb Gold

She has to see you . . . exactly!

I think the point went whistling over your head - she can't install software that may cause crashes on her machine or indeed install viruses as she doesn't have (computer) permission to do so - her system is therefore clear of those nice little apps that youngsters simply must have and which cause lots of problems.

Most of the time I've looked into problems people have with systems its not Windows which is the issue it's the myriad of rubbish quality applications they install, a guy I was once friends with used to install toolbars, lots of toolbars, toolbars for toolbars - and then complain that the machine was slow to boot - I removed lots of toolbars and left just one and surprise surprise the machine booted a lot quicker.

I think the point went whistling over your head - she can't install software that may cause crashes on her machine or indeed install viruses as she doesn't have (computer) permission to do so - her system is therefore clear of those nice little apps that youngsters simply must have and which cause lots of problems.

Most of the time I've looked into problems people have with systems its not Windows which is the issue it's the myriad of rubbish quality applications they install, a guy I was once friends with used to install toolbars, lots of toolbars, toolbars for toolbars - and then complain that the machine was slow to boot - I removed lots of toolbars and left just one and surprise surprise the machine booted a lot quicker.

The immensely time-wasting Windows machine referred to in my original post was bought as a Windows10 machine by my daughter and son-in-law who are both in their 40s and are not the sort of people to run junk software of the kind referred to. The only additional software on the machine was Office365 and Firefox to give a decent browsing experience.

Their machine fell over with almost every Windows10 update and mirrors the experience my son-in-law has seen in his workplace where the IT staff seemed to be fighting a running battle to keep the machines operational and eventually ceased all Windows10 updates several months back, before re-imaging every machine with an older build of Windows10 to get things under control.

Call buying a Mac "chequebook computing" if you like, but the reality I have seen in over twenty years of running my own business working with Macs in the graphics and printing industries is that the reliability of Macs in general and macOS in particular is very high indeed. My clients collectively owned about 1700 Macs between them and for most of them, I was their sole It support.

Comparing specifications of Mac and PC hardware and making price comparisons on that basis is about as effective as comparing chalk with cheese. What these comparisons always fail to understand is that the hardware is only part of the issue. What really should be the basis for comparison is the difference between Windows and macOS which has a profound effect on how hardware of a given specification will perform and the cost of ownership over a given period, not just the initial cost of purchase.

John

• RMweb Premium

.........Comparing specifications of Mac and PC hardware and making price comparisons on that basis is about as effective as comparing chalk with cheese. What these comparisons always fail to understand is that the hardware is only part of the issue. What really should be the basis for comparison............

Yawn........

While this is a little sweeping statement, it's based in fact.

Macs are great when it comes to production.  Recording music?  Messing about with video? Get a Mac.

For coding, certain Linux distros are built just for this purpose.

For everything else (which includes general use), there's Windows.

It's funny as while people "seem" to have problems with Windows, I've not really encountered anything dodgy with my installation.

• RMweb Gold

For the life of me I cannot understand why those that Pray at the Altar of Linux or Apple have to keep visiting any thread where Windows is mentioned.  To me it is the internet version of people coming to your house and knocking on your door to talk about religion!

I have no interest in Macs or Linux and as a result of that I do not visit any thread where they are mentioned.  I think some just like to start an argument.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I've come to the conclusion that all this 'Free Windows 10' situation is all about Microsoft trying to get us to upgrade to a paid Windows 10!

From getting the first version iof Windows 10 for free there appears to have been a gradual reduction in the features available in each new version of the Free Windows 10.

I had a problem and reported on it to Microsoft.

They responded by telling me that if I bought Windows 10 I would not have the problem.

Great - so they want me to pay £210 to upgrade to a 'Full Windows 10' version to get round a problem that they have caused?

Really - I don't think so!

Please note - the words above in the quote marks are direct from their email response.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

So why do you think we need aggression in here?

You have made it very clear your opinions and of course you are entitled to them I just don't see the need for you to constantly come into these threads to let us know them.  Yes it is a discussion but constantly 'telling' people that Linux is better than Windows or whatever is not a discussion.

If this was a discussion about a problem with a Ford car would there be any point in someone coming in constantly and saying you should have bought a Vauxhall?  (other makes are available). 

Baffled!

• RMweb Premium

I think those of us on here are quite capable of understanding there is a choice without having it rammed down our throats at every opportunity.

There is a separate thread for those that wish to discuss Linux and its variations. Not sure about a Mac thread - so that's maybe they contribute here!

Everyone has their own theories and likes. Some reckon the GWR is best, others don't. So why should computers be any different?

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I've come to the conclusion that all this 'Free Windows 10' situation is all about Microsoft trying to get us to upgrade to a paid Windows 10!

From getting the first version iof Windows 10 for free there appears to have been a gradual reduction in the features available in each new version of the Free Windows 10.

I had a problem and reported on it to Microsoft.

They responded by telling me that if I bought Windows 10 I would not have the problem.

Great - so they want me to pay £210 to upgrade to a 'Full Windows 10' version to get round a problem that they have caused?

Really - I don't think so!

Please note - the words above in the quote marks are direct from their email response.

Thanks

I don't see that at all. Win 10 is Win 10. There is no difference between paid versions & free upgrades. To sell a paid version, aver a free version, is just advertising spiel.

MS wanted to reduce the number of different versions of Windows in the market. After all Win 8, was hardly a success! Not sure they have really achieved any luck with that aim.

Does anyone use Win 8 and is eligible for an upgrade?

I don't see that at all. Win 10 is Win 10. There is no difference between paid versions & free upgrades. To sell a paid version, aver a free version, is just advertising spiel.

MS wanted to reduce the number of different versions of Windows in the market. After all Win 8, was hardly a success! Not sure they have really achieved any luck with that aim.

Well there's Windows 10S which in short is a special version of Windows that won't run any of your software.

Happily Microsoft have just announced its demise so less confusion all round.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Thanks

Home = £85 https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Software/Operating+Systems/Windows+10+Home+64+bit+Operating+System+?productId=64149

Or

Pro = £121 https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Windows+10+Pro+64+Bit+Operating+System+?productId=64150

Take your pick

Keith

Edited by melmerby