Confirmation of New FGW HST Replacements

Well ok I agree pacers are also working for FGW as for cascaded stock there will be 30 sets of Mk 4 and class 91s to relocate in the not to distant future, once the new class 800s arrive. Those sets were designed to tilt but were never properly used

• RMweb Gold

I actually prefer the 153s to 150s, there's a lot more window area in a 153 without the door recesses of the 150. I can't recall the fleet intentions for DMUs, will 153s remain - if not, what will run the Looe line?

• RMweb Premium

I actually prefer the 153s to 150s, there's a lot more window area in a 153 without the door recesses of the 150. I can't recall the fleet intentions for DMUs, will 153s remain - if not, what will run the Looe line?

From memory the 153s are going.

AT300, HST, Pacers, Goddam awful Voyagers, 153's, 150's Recycled centuries old London Underground trains with bus engines -- (Whoops - edited to add, forgot those are destined for for OOOP North, in Yorkshire, where it will no doubt be grimmer !!)

Let's have some PROPER trains again on the Western Region !!!!!!!!!!

7945080_orig.jpg

Brit15

Well ok I agree pacers are also working for FGW as for cascaded stock there will be 30 sets of Mk 4 and class 91s to relocate in the not to distant future, once the new class 800s arrive. Those sets were designed to tilt but were never properly used

Don't forget that VTEC plan to continue using a small number of shortened 225 sets.

Don't forget GWR (nee FGW) is supposed to be cascading the Turbos. Network Rail assumed in CP5 that they would be replacing 150s and 158s on many routes and even Pacers on some (e.g. Severn Beach). I can't recall what was planned for Barnstaple, Exmouth and Paignton.

OT: Wasn't there some discussion a while back about cascading about 15 or 16 Mk 4 sets to Greater Anglia?

Cheers

David

Don't forget GWR (nee FGW) is supposed to be cascading the Turbos. Network Rail assumed in CP5 that they would be replacing 150s and 158s on many routes and even Pacers on some (e.g. Severn Beach). I can't recall what was planned for Barnstaple, Exmouth and Paignton.

Aye, currently not route cleared west of Exeter but in the pipeline...........

16x/158 for Bristol

150/2 and 158 for exeter

Potentially other rolling stock appearing since the projects to release rolling stock are running late.

Do the figures for Bristol include stock for 'MetroWest' the service to Portishead planned from 2019?

And do the figures for Exeter include extra stock to implement the extra services in Cornwall and the planned increased frequency on the Devon Metro Paignton services?

cheers

AT300, HST, Pacers, Goddam awful Voyagers, 153's, 150's Recycled centuries old London Underground trains with bus engines -- (Whoops - edited to add, forgot those are destined for for OOOP North, in Yorkshire, where it will no doubt be grimmer !!)

Brit15

Posted on WNXX.com by a senior FGW employee

It was in the DfT specification for the FGW franchise that the Class 230, as it's now known, be trialled on some GW branch lines. I'm now hearing that this is very likely to happen within a few months…….

……The class 230 offers a chance to specify what is needed for those branches. Fast acceleration between stops, plenty of room for standing passengers, bicycles,pushchairs etc. The power to weight ratio is better than the current DMUs and the current fleet could be redeployed to strengthen services on routes where they are desperately needed. The 60mph top speed is not a problem on the Windsor, Marlow, Henley, Severn Beach, Exmouth, Paignton, Gunnislake, Looe, Newquay and St. Ives branches…….

…….I'm told the first units could arrive at SPM or Exeter within 6 months.

As for class 230 / D78 stock in Yorkshire, the Northern Franchise ITT specifically ruled them out.

AT300, HST, Pacers, Goddam awful Voyagers, 153's, 150's Recycled centuries old London Underground trains with bus engines -- (Whoops - edited to add, forgot those are destined for for OOOP North, in Yorkshire, where it will no doubt be grimmer !!)

Let's have some PROPER trains again on the Western Region !!!!!!!!!!

7945080_orig.jpg

Brit15

Just a minor correction - they'll be engines out of a ford transit.

I actually think the D78 thing is a decent idea (if they're used in a suitable application), but a proper rail traction engine - even if it has to be above the solebar - seems essential to my uneducated eyes. The duty cycle of a van engine compared to a rail engine just doesn't seem to match very well.

• RMweb Premium

Let's have some PROPER trains again on the Western Region !!!!!!!!!!

Could you correct that to "In the UK"?

Dare I say it though I don't find the Voyagers fundamentally awful (as far as modern trains go at any rate), despite my initial first impression of them being as commuter trains with ideas above their station. Like many they're simply too small and cramped for what they're used for; there are an awful lot of secondary long distance trains that are worse (anything without vestibule end doors for starters).

Archived