The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

The drivers who really annoy me are those who crawl along in the outside lane at 55 - 65 mph for miles trying to overtake lorries that are half amile apart, when they could easily move over for a few minutes, then, at the moment they do finally move over, increase their speed to 70 mph when you are trying to pass then, shutting you in the outside lane. A similar thing is when you move over to let someone on a slip road enter the carriageway, then rather than being grateful and slowing to let you move back in, they speed up on the inside so you're stuck in the outside lane. If they do that, I will box them in behind the next car iin front of them. Whenever HGV's move over to let me off a slip road, I will always let them pass and flash them back in, rather than do what a lot of tossers do, which is trying to accelerate past them on the inside. Another nice of low grade moron's are the ones who cross the solid white slip road boundary and accelerate straight across into the fast lane, boxing everyone in front of them in, and forcing cars in the fast lane to brake hard. I think it's better practice to pause and stop indicating momentarily if carrying carrying out multiple lane changes so other drivers can see your intentions.

• Like 1

...Another nice of low grade moron's are the ones who cross the solid white slip road boundary and accelerate straight across into the fast lane, boxing everyone in front of them in, and forcing cars in the fast lane to brake hard...

Also done in reverse - i.e. lateral drift from fast lane to exit slip.

• RMweb Premium

Ah 40mph, the preferred speed of the CSM or Constant Speed Motorist. 40 in a 60, 50, 40 or even 30 limit. CSM should actually stand for something rather less complimentary, especially when they drive at their chosen speed in a 30 limit.

I certainly don't sit at 40 regardless, and don't think any more of people who do than you do.

sd

Also done in reverse - i.e. lateral drift from fast lane to exit slip.

apparently known to the police as a slingshot

I wonder what the term is for the 'oops didn't mean to take this off-ramp' manoeuvre, of making a decision to depart the slip road very late indeed and move back onto the main carriageway, crossing grass and the hard shoulder to do so. 'Slingshit' comes to mind.

• RMweb Premium

sd

I wonder what the term is for the 'oops didn't mean to take this off-ramp' manoeuvre, of making a decision to depart the slip road very late indeed and move back onto the main carriageway, crossing grass and the hard shoulder to do so. 'Slingshit' comes to mind.

Years ago I was in a minibus (not me driving!) that did something similar, only it was with cones instead of grass (one side of the cones to leave the motorway at the start of the roadworks, the other side to stay on). The driver only realised at the last moment and clipped a cone. That caused the tyre to blow out in the contraflow. Thank heavens he managed to keep the minibus under control and bring it to a stop.

I just have.

pootle
ˈpuːt(ə)l/
verb
Britishinformal
gerund or present participle: pootling
move or travel in a leisurely manner.

There is no reference to the official speed limit

But is driving only that little inside the limit a leisurely manner? Not much room to be un-leisurely without being illegal.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it is leisurely to me - when 90 percent of light vehicles are moving at least 10-15 mph faster than that.

IMHO it is whatever you feel most comfortable with, and with the speed at which you are most likely to get to your destination with as little stress as possible, and in safety.  I only push it now when I have to, which as I'm retired is not so often. 

However, in one job which involved a lot of car driving, my line manager expected me to AVERAGE 65 mph, and actually tried to set down timings for my trips from Croydon to places like Salford and Chester.  The choices there were to leave earlier making me a more tired driver at the outset, or to push the car well above the legal limits for much of the run.  I wonder just how many of the lane three fliers are actually on business and working against similarly arbitrary speed requirements.

While not condoning bad driving, I believe undertaking is, contrary to popular belief, not in itself a motoring offence - the key being the use of the official language used, i.e. "should not "undertake as opposed to "must not" undertake in the highway code. The term "must" indicates something specifically mentioned in law where as the term "should" indicates good practices but that there is no specific guidance on the matter in law.

Of course if a motorist performing a "should not" action is involved in an incident then such behaviour could be used as evidence for a charge of dangerous driving.

I believe that there is a rule in the Highway code (not got a copy to hand to look at the specific rule number) that says that in heavy traffic, some lanes may slow, and in which case it is all right to undertake if your lane happens to keep going at a faster speed.

Given that lane hogging is now an endorsable offence, I would guess that the coppers would be more inclined to book the lane hogger than the person who felt no need to change out of a perfectly clear lane 1 as they maintained their speed.

• Like 2

One thing that annoys me is lorries in the third lane of a 4 lane motorway struggling to get up a hill trying to pass 2 other lorries having the same problem. Several years ago we drove to the Alps for a summer holiday. On steeper inclines (both up and down) Lorries and any other vehicles towing were restricted to the inside lane, this kept the motorway moving without the un-necessary tailbacks we suffer in the country.

For the benefit of the majority of road users I would support lorries and any other vehicles towing being restricted to the 2 inside lanes and on steeper inclines to the inside lane. I believe this would benefit all road users (including those restricted to inside lane use) as hold ups would be fewer

Also in France at certain peak holiday times commercial vehicles were banned on some roads, I have no idea if this is still the case.

Both of these have nothing to do with bad driving, but could prevent it with  having a systen that causes less frustration

• RMweb Premium
For the benefit of the majority of road users I would support lorries and any other vehicles towing being restricted to the 2 inside lanes and on steeper inclines to the inside lane. I believe this would benefit all road users (including those restricted to inside lane use) as hold ups would be fewer

Lorries are restricted to the two inside lanes anyway. Restricting them to the inside lane only in places would help other vehciles but how would it help lorries? Particularly if there's a very slow vehicle there.

This was done as a trial on the A14 on the steeper hills between the M1 and A1. Two lanes, outside lane restricted to vehicles of not more than 7.5 tonnes. It worked very well and now the restrictions are permanent. 

Lorries are restricted to the two inside lanes anyway. Restricting them to the inside lane only in places would help other vehciles but how would it help lorries? Particularly if there's a very slow vehicle there.

It will help lorries by encouraging them to only overtake on stretches where they actually stand a chance of completing the maneuver. If they do get stuck behind something slow then it is usually not that far before the restriction ends, where they will then be able to overtake it quickly.

• Like 1

Its a common sight on the M25 for lorries to be in the 3rd lane on 4 lane sections

As far as how would it help lorries being restricted. Simple at busy times as soon a a lorry tries to overtake on a steep hill traffic builds up behind it, this not only slows down the lane its in but most others behind it. Behind that lorry there are lots of other traffic including lorries which then slow down, see reply #1890. I guess its the same principal in restricting speed when the motor way is busy.

As a car (though van and lorry drivers must feel the same) user nothing more annoying than having to creep in queues behind lorries 3 abreast (not at intersections) then after passing them seeing an empty motorway, whilst seeing a large backlog in the rear view mirror. Now that cannot be good driving

Then there is the HGV that pulls out to pass the one in front of it, then it starts climbing a hill and struggles to even keep up with the one its trying (but failing ) to overtake. Now either it should go back in or the one being overtaken should slightly lift off the speed. But no these two so called kings of the road just block off one lane of the motorway till they get to the top of the hill and pick up speed again, total lack on consideration for others using the road. I do understand that they have a job to do, but so do many others in smaller vehicles.  

There are some very considerate lorry drivers and I am not tarring all with the same brush, but the above actions are common place every day

Edited by hayfield

...If speed kills, as government advertising would have us believe, why aren't all formula 1 drivers dead?

Maybe they're not ingesting it correctly in nightclubs.

In the 1970s and earlier, F1 was a much more hazardous business. That's probably why it was much more interesting to watch back then.

• RMweb Premium

This was done as a trial on the A14 on the steeper hills between the M1 and A1. Two lanes, outside lane restricted to vehicles of not more than 7.5 tonnes. It worked very well and now the restrictions are permanent.

That sounds good enough for me, if it's been tried and the potential problems haven't materialised then I agree it sounds like a good move.

Whilst we're generally on about speed limits etc, permit me a moment on my soapbox.

If speed kills, as government advertising would have us believe, why aren't all formula 1 drivers dead?

Inappopriate speed kills.

• Like 1

Maybe they're not ingesting it correctly in nightclubs.

In the 1970s and earlier, F1 was a much more hazardous business. That's probably why it was much more interesting to watch back then.

Whilst we're generally on about speed limits etc, permit me a moment on my soapbox.

If speed kills, as government advertising would have us believe, why aren't all formula 1 drivers dead?

Mike.

I think it was usual to have at least one death per season, not unknown for there to be more than one death in a weekend. in those days the odds of a driver surviving until retirement were pretty dire.

That sounds good enough for me, if it's been tried and the potential problems haven't materialised then I agree it sounds like a good move.

Inappopriate speed kills.

Precisely, and the Police and'road safety' campaigns don't mention it and don't enforce it when it is inappropriately way below the speed limit. Edited by Baby Deltic

I've suggested before that there should be a differential in speed before vehicles should try to overtake, say 10mph, rather than the 0.5 to 2 difference between differing speed limiters.  There must be something wrong with any driver who can't estimate that sort of speed difference approaching a vehicle.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing that annoys me is lorries in the third lane of a 4 lane motorway struggling to get up a hill trying to pass 2 other lorries having the same problem. Several years ago we drove to the Alps for a summer holiday. On steeper inclines (both up and down) Lorries and any other vehicles towing were restricted to the inside lane, this kept the motorway moving without the un-necessary tailbacks we suffer in the country.

Also in France at certain peak holiday times commercial vehicles were banned on some roads, I have no idea if this is still the case.

Both of these have nothing to do with bad driving, but could prevent it with  having a systen that causes less frustration

You cannot really ban all towing vehicles from middle lanes as they may want to overtake lorries or low powered cars.

I used to tow a caravan with a large petrol engined car, on LPG, plenty of power for passing those shopping trollies and underpowered people carriers.

200bhp over 2.5 ton is better than 80 over 1.5 ton

You cannot really ban all towing vehicles from middle lanes as they may want to overtake lorries or low powered cars.

I used to tow a caravan with a large petrol engined car, on LPG, plenty of power for passing those shopping trollies and underpowered people carriers.

200bhp over 2.5 ton is better than 80 over 1.5 ton

Its not banning these vehicles all the time, but on the steeper gradients. No problem at all with anything overtaking another motor vehicle, but it must do it with as little as possible effect with other traffic.

My run around is a small low powered car and unlike our other car is affected by gradients, so I drive accordingly and if I have to I stay put in the slow lane. With our other car its far more powerful so I can accelerate much quicker.