The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

I believe you are referring to the National Lottery?

One of the most intelligent people I ever knew played the National Lottery, on the grounds that the small amount it cost a week didn't make much difference to them but in the very unlikely event that they won, it certainly would make a difference.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Or having short laybys that are not fit for purpose....

Cheers

Mick

You'd be amazed at the number of laybys that are still set up for 1950s halfcabs with rear platforms... and how many councils think that the raised kerb should be installed in the middle of the layby.  And, for that matter, how many complaints in generates when you pull in properly (ie parallel to the carriageway) with your front end at the front of the bay, from people who get the bus every day but are still standing at the other end waiting for said 1950s halfcab...

people who get the bus every day but are still standing at the other end waiting for said 1950s halfcab...

That's oh so true. A few years ago I had a share in a 1957 bus which had been purchased for preservation and when we had it out on the road going to a rally etc we would have people trying to get on board whilst we were at traffic lights. A favorite expression we had at the time was "If the corporation painted dust carts blue and white, (Hull Corporation transport) people would try and climb in the back!"    :no:  

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 3

One of the most intelligent people I ever knew played the National Lottery, on the grounds that the small amount it cost a week didn't make much difference to them but in the very unlikely event that they won, it certainly would make a difference.

That would be a particular sub-set of Pascal's Wager?

But see also, Homer Simpson and the State Lottery.... I once worked on a site where the lottery syndicate runner pocketed the stake money, and left before it was discovered...

Edited by rockershovel

One of my favourite bits of sh1te driving seen on a daily basis is the one where you flick up your 'stealth stick' (all buses and HGVs have one of these; they make you invisible when intending to leave a layby/bus stop). After the sixth car (usually one of those big, daft pumped-up dodgems eg Audi Q6/Nissan Qashquai) has passed you since activating it, you move off. Just then yet another vehicle desperately overtakes you whilst you're out and getting on the move, merely to make an immediate left turn at the junction 15 yards ahead...  

D.

Ah, the HGV stealth mode. Often activates all on its own when approaching some buffoon who decides to pull out of a lay-by in heavy traffic on the A1. Small car snooker is an interesting diversion to the day, made all the better when car driver admits in front of the attending copper that she was 100% at fault and hadn't looked before pulling out. The Copper very helpfully spelt his name and gave me his badge number "in case her story changes later on"

HGV driver cloak of invisibility also engages at random when stood at the goods-in desk. It gets old pretty quick being ignored by the person at the desk. I used to develop an annoying coughing fit to disengage the invisibility and move things along a bit.

• RMweb Premium

That would be a particular sub-set of Pascal's Wager?

Quite so. I'm fairly sure he didn't go for the original version.

HGV driver cloak of invisibility also engages at random when stood at the goods-in desk. It gets old pretty quick being ignored by the person at the desk. I used to develop an annoying coughing fit to disengage the invisibility and move things along a bit.

Reminds me of a trade counter I used to visit where someone had graffitied:

"Mummy - has Daddy left us? No dear, he's just waiting at the trade counter at xxxxxx"

Odd place. Sold O rings, but every time I went they had something else under the counter they wondered if I might be interested in. Probably best not to enquire as to where they came from. This was in the days before ebay...

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Premium

I got one wrong, the limit on a single carriageway. I always thought it was 50 not 60.

Hi

A lot of people when I live seem to think it's actually 40 judging by the number who do this speed passing the speed camera on a stretch of road clearly showing the national speed limit sign.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2

10/10 and at least one of those signs didn't exist (or, at least, I've never seen one) when I left the UK.

I do like the fact that the representation of a car still looks suspiciously like a Ford 100E and the motorcycle a Triumph Speed Twin with Avon fairing. Not to mention the steam loco nearly 50 years after such a thing regularly ran on BR metals.

10/10 and at least one of those signs didn't exist (or, at least, I've never seen one) when I left the UK.

I do like the fact that the representation of a car still looks suspiciously like a Ford 100E and the motorcycle a Triumph Speed Twin with Avon fairing. Not to mention the steam loco nearly 50 years after such a thing regularly ran on BR metals.

Not forgetting the iconic "man having trouble with his umbrella" for roadworks.. actually USING a shovel is probably illegal under HSE by now.. Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Premium

Whilst the car just looks old a steam loco does have the advantage of being a much more recognisable shape than a diesel or electric (a few oddities aside), so it's more suitable for a sign.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst the car just looks old a steam loco does have the advantage of being a much more recognisable shape than a diesel or electric (a few oddities aside), so it's more suitable for a sign.

Same as the symbol for speed cameras.

• RMweb Premium

It's highly rational. The long established de facto UK programme for children's education in railway recognition, is Thomas the tank engine.

Ah but there's also Chuggington now, featuring mostly diesel and electric engines (including a sort of single ended Deltic).

Today's prize goes to the driver of a black Ford who having followed us for some miles through a 60 mph section of the  A137 where I was doing 50-55 in our 73 MGB, then decided to overtake - at speed - in a 30 mph limit through a built up area with several side roads and a cross road. There was an ambulance with its Blues on  a 100 yards or so further back, so presumably he wanted to get past and away before he had to let it overtake as he continued to drive away at speed..

• Like 1

A13 eastbound this morning, in the 50mph section around Thurrock.

A Ford Ka is doing 45-ish in the middle lane, so I pull out into the outside lane, just touching 50. A Citroen Picasso comes haring up behind, right on my rear bumper and flashing the headlights. God knows how far back he was when I pulled out because he certainly wasn't in my mirror!

Now, when I'm overtaking and there's not yet space to pull back in, then you're going to just have to wait. When I'm far enough in front of the Ka, I move back to the middle lane.

The Picasso then passes me, pulls right across in front, and slows down to about 47 or so. So of course, I pull out to overtake him again :D

He then realises that his junction is coming up, and has to then cut across the inside lane and the hatched line to make the slip road.

What's really annoying is that I haven't replaced my knackered dashcam and I can't prove what a complete and utter (expletive deleted) he was.

• RMweb Gold

On Thursday evening I was returning from Bedford and decided to use the A428 to Black cat, at 7.30pm I thought it was quiet but promptly joined the rear of a very slow moving 2 mile queue. about a mile from Black cat I saw a Police car coming down the middle with Blues and Two's so like everyone else moved over to let him through ( no hard shoulder but there are some nice big gully's and run off's).

After he passed me and about 5 cars in front he came up behind a small Peugot who just sat there, either half asleep or on the phone. There must have been 10-15 seconds before he shot to the right and the Police car went past, he then immediately cut back in behind the Police car and set off at speed behind him as the traffic parted to let them pass.

No idea how far he got but I did see various vehicles give him a near miss as they pulled back out.  I'm also rather hoping he got a ticket.

The favourite culprit to blame for selfish and aggressive behaviour is big German cars owners,  but the reality is there are twattish and selfish drivers everywhere.