Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

25 minutes ago, raymw said:

In twenty years, y'all be winging about bugs in algorithms in driver-less electric cars... 

Hope so. Based on family precedent that's about the time when I will voluntarily take myself out of the driving seat. The idea of a vehicle which can take me to the surgery, hospital, dentist, shop, railway station (and other nearby locations ) by voice command is most attractive. Train for anything more than a dozen miles.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, raymw said:

In twenty years, y'all be winging about bugs in algorithms in driver-less electric cars... 

Hope I get run over by someone before then in that case. Machine controlled everything, humans as useless lumps of flesh incapable of doing anything for themselves - no thanks.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Thankfully not a high speed incident (not even broken rear lamp clusters) but any rear end over 8 mph can cause injury, sometimes serious.

Unfortunately it appears not even fast enough to knock off the offenders front plate, some tw@ts get all the luck.

Unless the vehicle belongs to er shall we say the less salubrious members of the community hopefully there will be enough damage to catch somebodies eye and get reported soon.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, Reorte said:

Hope I get run over by someone before then in that case. Machine controlled everything, humans as useless lumps of flesh incapable of doing anything for themselves - no thanks.

You've seen Wall-e then. The machines do everything although the world in which they live is run by mega-corporation Buy-N-Large, which somehow makes me think of an amalgam of Apple, Google and Amazon.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

You've seen Wall-e then. The machines do everything although the world in which they live is run by mega-corporation Buy-N-Large, which somehow makes me think of an amalgam of Apple, Google and Amazon.

I've not actually seen it but I know of it and I've seen clips - looked exactly like where I think we're heading, other than the being in space part.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Reorte said:

It seems the Zager and Evans song was more prophetic than it seemed, can't see it taking as long as 500 years at the current rate of deterioration though.

https://youtu.be/izQB2-Kmiic

Paul

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 16/02/2020 at 11:55, Jol Wilkinson said:

E M Forster’s short story “The Machine Stops” contains a similar themes, as early as 1909. H G Wells’ “The Time Machine” contains the decadent, child-like Eloi. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rockershovel said:

E M Forster’s short story “The Machine Stops” contains a similar themes, as early as 1909. H G Wells’ “The Time Machine” contains the decadent, child-like Eloi. 

I always thought the Morlocks were unfairly demonised. They were, at least, still capable of doing practical stuff. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PatB said:

I always thought the Morlocks were unfairly demonised. They were, at least, still capable of doing practical stuff. 

I always thought of it as farming from the point of view of the cow.

• RMweb Premium

we have road works outside our Salisbury's super store the road that go into the car park comes back out on to the main road about a quarter of a mile further up the road  

well all the idiots have been going into the car park trying to jump the Queue result grid lock in the car park took me over an hour to get out after doing the shopping 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I was in Pitsea Tesco's this afternoon when a Transit van drew alongside me and the passenger leant out and asked me in a strong Irish accent if I wanted to buy a generator. I declined but I did note the registration and reported it to the police.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I was in Pitsea Tesco's this afternoon when a Transit van drew alongside me and the passenger leant out and asked me in a strong Irish accent if I wanted to buy a generator. I declined but I did note the registration and reported it to the police.

You must have the sort of face which looks like it needs a generator!

I had a similar liaison with a shyster trying to sell me a watch in Watford Gap services once.

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, jbqfc said:

we have road works outside our Salisbury's super store the road that go into the car park comes back out on to the main road about a quarter of a mile further up the road  

well all the idiots have been going into the car park trying to jump the Queue result grid lock in the car park took me over an hour to get out after doing the shopping 

John 

Our local Morrisons is frequently used as a rat-run to avoid a busy roundabout, especially at the moment as there's roadworks on said roundabout. I try to avoid it at evening rush hour for exactly that reason...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not so much driving standards, but related - I was driving down the M5 round Exeter yesterday, and there's various roadworks going on. At one point there was a load of cones along the hard shoulder, with red-and-white hazard tape joining them - except that in the wind, the tape had come off, and was being blown around the road.

This seems pretty dangerous to me, as it could easily get picked up by someone's wheel and tangled up - and it made me think that I don't recall ever seeing tape used on a motorway before, presumably for that exact reason...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well my driving standards are certainly well below what they should be, because I managed to go into the back of someone yesterday (albeit at such a low speed that there was no visible sign of damage to either car).  We're told not to admit liability but it's fair enough to say it was entirely my fault and I'm ashamed of it.

• Friendly/supportive 13