Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, stewartingram said:

2 things I noticed.

Not 1 vehicle ( so it seemed) tried their brakes, to dry them after going through.

Not necessary with disc brakes and modern disc pads. The old drum brakes however didn't like getting wet.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I laughed at the guy in the Peugeot at 3min 15  who made a successful  pass then turned round

for a re-run the other way and drowned it . His mate trying to push it out .   :sarcastic:

Aww don’t be cruel, they probably had a combined IQ of less than one tyres air pressure......

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

Didn't see a Tesla or any other EV or hybrid go through, I wonder if they would get through?

Intuitively I'd have thought they probably would. But I wouldn't be prepared to put my money where my mouth is there!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, sjp23480 said:

Didn't see a Tesla or any other EV or hybrid go through, I wonder if they would get through?

A Leaf would boss that little puddle.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sjp23480 said:

Yes they would, no problem.....all the important bits have to be sealed (for obvious reasons), the limiting factor would be as we used to call it when wade testing the “floater” factor :lol:

• Like 1

The A1101 between Ely and Wisbech crosses the flood plain between the rivers at Welney Wash. Way back in the late 60s I took my trusty Austin A30 through on a few occasions, must be around a mile across. Anyone who knows an A30/35 will know it has a high transmission tunnel down the centre - the water coming in reached the top of that! Water entry was mainly via the hole in the floor to the right of the driver's side, made for the handbrake lever - and possibly via rust holes as well, it was around 15 years old by then....

She got through quite majestically every time, in fact she would go anywhere I took her. I did around 250k miles in that car, on  a shoestring. Good Austin engineering, modern in its day, but uncomplicated.

Stewart

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

:lol::lol::lol:

image.png.d6e1902fe1d83f8a47a7d19bb046606b.png

Given that it has been plausibly alleged that, during recent panic buying in parts of the USA, it has been necessary for government agencies to issue the advice "do not put gasoline in garbage bags", I worry that this is not actually a fake. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PatB said:

Given that it has been plausibly alleged that, during recent panic buying in parts of the USA, it has been necessary for government agencies to issue the advice "do not put gasoline in garbage bags", I worry that this is not actually a fake. 

There is a case of a couple loading up their Hummer with plastic cans of petrol and on the way back home it caught fire.

• Round of applause 1

23 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to be told they were both smoking at the time.

Smoking won't set petrol off. If you want to show off you can put out your cigarette by dunking it in petrol.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PatB said:

Not a joke, I saw a clip on Mrs BB’s farcebook last year a woman filling a cardboard box with a bin bag as a liner (at least she realised cardboard would not hold petrol!) while it was in the boot of her American people carrier.

Made me cringe as I thought “what if she has her kids in the back as well” :o

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Not a joke, I saw a clip on Mrs BB’s farcebook last year a woman filling a cardboard box with a bin bag as a liner (at least she realised cardboard would not hold petrol!) while it was in the boot of her American people carrier.

Made me cringe as I thought “what if she has her kids in the back as well” :o

Mr Darwin makes no exceptions for youth.

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

More likely she realised, possibly from trying, that the bag couldn't be filled, or handled  when full, without the support of a box.  ISTR a video clip of somebody filling a smaller plastic bag, possibly a shop carrier, with the petrol pi**ing out of a small hole in the bottom. 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, petethemole said:

More likely she realised, possibly from trying, that the bag couldn't be filled, or handled  when full, without the support of a box.  ISTR a video clip of somebody filling a smaller plastic bag, possibly a shop carrier, with the petrol pi**ing out of a small hole in the bottom. 

But even if you were to successfully fill a plastic bag with petrol and it didn't leak (somehow) and you tied it up, it's the fumes that are highly dangerous in something like a car boot.

What steps would you take, if you saw someone taking such action?

Bloody great long ones!

• Agree 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Posted without video .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, 30801 said:

Smoking won't set petrol off. If you want to show off you can put out your cigarette by dunking it in petrol.

Petrol is not flammable, yes we know that. It's the vapour that's flammable. All you have to do is get your lit fag end through the vapour, to dunk it in the petrol.... good game, good game.

Does remind me of one of my favourite jokes, though - "How do you make a cat go 'woof'?" :jester:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1