The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

ABS simply works by computing the difference in wheel speeds - whereby all 4 wheels locked can read the same as all 4 wheels same speed. Though these days many cars with upgraded traction control /Stability control have an accelerometer as well which can be factored in. ABS still relies on pulsing brake application so lock-release is still going to happen, particularly to people who insist on buying tyres on price. 

You are very much mistaken if you think you can't lose control of a car or get it to lock up just because it has electronic aids. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, SamThomas said:

I see what you are saying but I've managed it myself a few times on different vehicles when being "brutal".

Maybe, ABS systems lose their edge on older vehicles ?

They certainly shouldn’t do, if they sense a lock-up without reason ie very low temperatures they are designed to throw  a fault to be investigated, certainly on passenger cars and light commercials, HGVs are a different kettle of fish altogether.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

You are very much mistaken if you think you can't lose control of a car or get it to lock up just because it has electronic aids. 

I just wish many more people understood that simple fact.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Looking at it from the opposite viewpoint, traditional cruise control is advised not to be used in wet slippery conditions, because if wheels lose traction the CC can cause decent acceleration, which is the last thing you want. The right foot is vastly better at controlling speed in poor conditions. Vehicles fitted with radar based CC may be different.

Agree totally with what you said about ABS and sometimes it's a surprise when it cuts in - usually left wheels on wet gravel & right hand on bitumen. Very rare for ABS to cut in when I drive.

Indeed, it is normally stated in the manuals about not using cruise control in wet or slippery (cold) conditions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

It is switchable on many vehicles, in particular I believe German ones because ABS& snow or gravel isnt a happy combination

It used to be switchable but I believe nowadays the actual ABS system is always on, where as the traction control and stability systems can be turned off (or reduced in effect).

I cannot remember the last time I saw an ABS off parameter in a vehicle TBH.

• Like 1

Truck manufactures advise drivers not to use the exhaust brake if the surface is slippery - the driving wheels can lock up negating the ABS.

Unfortunatly, some transport managers (that spend more time driving desks) are gradually removing all forms of driver overides & resetting vehicle systems so that the exhaust brakes are always active on decelleration.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

Truck manufactures advise drivers not to use the exhaust brake if the surface is slippery - the driving wheels can lock up negating the ABS.

Unfortunatly, some transport managers (that spend more time driving desks) are gradually removing all forms of driver overides & resetting vehicle systems so that the exhaust brakes are always active on decelleration.

But we’d all miss those 100 yard quadruple black lines on the motorways if they didn’t. 😁

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

It is switchable on many vehicles, in particular I believe German ones because ABS& snow or gravel isnt a happy combination

Snow (at very low speed) is the only time I've ever felt ABS come on.

I'd argue that in more normal conditions you shouldn't ever feel ABS if you're driving sensibly, outside of an emergency stop (and driving sensibly significantly reduces the likelihood of needing to do an emergency stop in the first place).

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, johnofwessex said:

If stuff has been loaded onto a vehicle by a business  - in the UK at least, surely The Police should get the HSE involved to prosecute whoever did it.

Looks to me like the driver of the car was going out of his way to encourage the fork lift driver. Insist even.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Driver responsible for securing load & supervising ?

Regards

Ian

Indeed, the driver is responsible for supervising the loading & securing the load, probably just as well he did not manage to get moving onto the road (unless..............).

Actually surprised the Focus did not collapse completly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Having had two different retail customers over the years turn up to collect dustbin sized electric kilns (that must stay upright) in Honda Jazz’s, and a third wanting us to position it in a spare wheel well that was full of rainwater it’s 50/50 in my book… 

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

In these parts a lot of people opt for a 4WD or SUV mainly for winter conditions, so when Tesla's turn up you know they're generally holiday makers. They're not a car I like the look of, but are certainly engineered very well and have some innovative ideas incorporated. Sadly no matter how good the car is it can be driven by a muppet.

Yesterday on the way to Kelso I approached a left hand corner where on the verge there was a car upside down and embedded in a tree, behind me a Tesla had been gaining ground through a series of blind bends and then overtook on the outside of the bend. Coming towards us was another vehicle that had to take avoiding action as the Tesla just managed to get over. I was doing 45 as the receding bends are tight and slow.

This is the point the Tesla overtook, there is a lot more undergrowth than on the screenshot.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.5608295,-2.3297444,3a,75y,304.41h,79.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYbtGhvFAUwtu3cBzHpStuA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I then followed him all the way to Kelso. So the point of overtaking me was either pointless, or it scared the cr@p out of the driver. When we moved here we knew that there would be lots of slow moving machinery on what are narrow slow roads, but a large proportion of those that holiday here either haven't a clue, or treat the twisty roads as a race track.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

In these parts a lot of people opt for a 4WD or SUV mainly for winter conditions, so when Tesla's turn up you know they're generally holiday makers. They're not a car I like the look of, but are certainly engineered very well and have some innovative ideas incorporated. Sadly no matter how good the car is it can be driven by a muppet.

Yesterday on the way to Kelso I approached a left hand corner where on the verge there was a car upside down and embedded in a tree, behind me a Tesla had been gaining ground through a series of blind bends and then overtook on the outside of the bend. Coming towards us was another vehicle that had to take avoiding action as the Tesla just managed to get over. I was doing 45 as the receding bends are tight and slow.

This is the point the Tesla overtook, there is a lot more undergrowth than on the screenshot.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.5608295,-2.3297444,3a,75y,304.41h,79.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYbtGhvFAUwtu3cBzHpStuA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I then followed him all the way to Kelso. So the point of overtaking me was either pointless, or it scared the cr@p out of the driver. When we moved here we knew that there would be lots of slow moving machinery on what are narrow slow roads, but a large proportion of those that holiday here either haven't a clue, or treat the twisty roads as a race track.

You can normally tell who are the holiday drivers down here even out of season as they tend to drive “scared” as if they have never seen a single track road before, and god help you if they need to reverse back to a passing place or field entrance, it’s often like a scene from Mr Bean.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Just as well you weren't following a horse/cyclist/pedestrian!

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

You can normally tell who are the holiday drivers down here even out of season as they tend to drive “scared” as if they have never seen a single track road before, and god help you if they need to reverse back to a passing place or field entrance, it’s often like a scene from Mr Bean.

Plenty of them but most aren't as bad as the one I once got stuck behind who I don't think did more than 15 mph. The other end of the country (the Lake District) but the same sort of people.

• Like 2

On 17/06/2022 at 10:32, kevinlms said:

What difference does it make? All motorised vehicles have identification plates and that doesn't stop umpteen videos on Youtube of poor driving.

Well, it give drivers the opportunity to report cyclists to the authorities.

However, if you wish to use video evidence for any form of legal action it should not be put into the public domain prior to any legal action.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Just as well you weren't following a horse/cyclist/pedestrian!

Mike.

Mentioning Horses, on Wednesday we had our 'Border riding' with 110 horses and riders taking part. Can you imagine how wide a berth you have to give them 😃

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1