The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Titan said:

Place I worked at a few years ago had a really strong filter on the internet, to the point it would block sites that were legitimately work related.  When the dreaded screen notification came up a colleague if he noticed would joke "you trying to view bigwobblyboobs,com again?"  It turned out that much to my surprise that domain name had not been registered.  So I registered it, and made up a webpage for it with his work photo plastered all over it.  On his leaving do some time later I joked with him and said you should look it up, I dare you, and he did (on his mobile) and there was his face staring back at him.  I put a good luck with your new job message on it too!  He thought it was hilarious!  I have subsequently let the registration lapse, so have no idea if it is in use now...

Cue everyone checking for that website, all making the mistake of the comma!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

In our rural Lincolnshire village we have been pushing for a 30 mph limit on the very fast B road at the top of the village  and 20 mph in the actual village. Far too expensive say the parish council and Lincs CC, it seems somebody has to be killed to get any sort of action. Very interesting that 20mph seemed to be the default in smaller towns and villages, be quite easy to collect a few fines and points if you live south of Hadrians Wall.

The whole of our small part of outside the main town is 20mph, there is only one way in and that’s where the limit starts, and pleased to say almost everyone sticks to it with the exception of the obvious holiday makers, unfortunately not enough cops around here to make a difference.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Our company was in Essex and “tiger” stopped anyone searching anything with SEX in the title, regardless of composition

We had the same at school in Sussex...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

having spent a week on holiday in Yorkshire this explains much

18011330-0-image-a-2_1567512234896.jpg.0361d4c1dc751459bd38dd53c33eee4b.jpg

aggressive and arrogant driving especially on B roads which some seem to think they own...

lovely county, terrible roads and driving.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/07/2022 at 23:40, tractionman said:

having spent a week on holiday in Yorkshire this explains much

18011330-0-image-a-2_1567512234896.jpg.0361d4c1dc751459bd38dd53c33eee4b.jpg

aggressive and arrogant driving especially on B roads which some seem to think they own...

lovely county, terrible roads and driving.

Just because you're doing it wrong!

Mike.

• Funny 2

10 hours ago, StuAllen said:

https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/sussex/news/court-results/video-speeding-driver-who-hit-141mph-on-a27-is-banned/ What I don’t understand is what the “driver” was looking at - the camera vans aren’t subtle and it a common place to spot to see them.

While I am pleased to see that he got a suspended prison sentence, I do wonder of a Hospital Order might have been more appropriate

• Like 2

13 hours ago, StuAllen said:

What I don’t understand is what the “driver” was looking at

Or maybe what recreational pharmaceuticals he had taken: "He admitted that he was the driver at the time of the offences, but said he could not remember speeding."

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

16 hours ago, StuAllen said:

https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/sussex/news/court-results/video-speeding-driver-who-hit-141mph-on-a27-is-banned/ What I don’t understand is what the “driver” was looking at - the camera vans aren’t subtle and it a common place to spot to see them.

I'd imagine at 141 mph by the time you've seen the van it's waaaaaaay to late!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, admiles said:

I'd imagine at 141 mph by the time you've seen the van it's waaaaaaay to late!

I very much imagine so, that's one of the reasons why driving at those speeds on public roads is a very bad idea, irrespective of the law.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I very much imagine so, that's one of the reasons why driving at those speeds on public roads is a very bad idea, irrespective of the law.

Given the risks to others its the sort of behaviour that should be treated with the same seriousness as a knife or gun offence

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

He shouldn't have been, he dipped his headlights.

Mike.

No He wasn't ....

But she was...      https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2022-07-19/mum-left-sobbing-as-car-swept-away-slams-those-who-filmed-their-heartbreak

you should never leave a vehicle parked on a slipway anyway, it blocks  it for other users.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We had a knock at the door in the middle of the night once because on our drive was our Landrover, young lady in hardly anything and a lad looking sheepish asked if we had a tow rope, of course we have it’s a Landrover 🤣 anyway she had driven down the slipway on our beach and got her Polo floor pan flat on the sand with the tide washing around the front wheels, I told her no amount of pulling was getting it off

the sand and I proceeded to break the tow rope to prove it to her…… they stayed in our annexe for the night and the local garage retrieved the car the next day, what pissed me off is we didn’t even get a thank you the next day….. kids!

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, TheQ said:

No He wasn't ....

But she was...      https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2022-07-19/mum-left-sobbing-as-car-swept-away-slams-those-who-filmed-their-heartbreak

you should never leave a vehicle parked on a slipway anyway, it blocks  it for other users.

Well the report says it broke down , so not much option but to leave it , and it was 3-30 am so

not much chance of a crowd of helpers .

Also the initial report says an £80,000 Range Rover , the follow up says its 13 years old

and they can be had for less than £10,000 .

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Well the report says it broke down , so not much option but to leave it , and it was 3-30 am so

not much chance of a crowd of helpers .

Also the initial report says an £80,000 Range Rover , the follow up says its 13 years old

and they can be had for less than £10,000 .

Not a member of an auto club or no towing companies in the vicinity?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Not a member of an auto club or no towing companies in the vicinity?

When as in my previous post, the young lady got stuck on the beach the first thing I did was to ring two 24HR recovery services and they basically said “stuck on a beach?  Nah” and the AA said even if she joined there and then they couldn’t recover a car on a beach, hence why we needed up at 02:30 on a cold morning trying to get a tow rope around the rear eye of a VW Polo.

Its too much like hard work for them, our local garage recovered it the next morning (they also tow boats to the marina).

• Like 2