RMweb

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

And more.

image.png.df91f4819b85aff864c7217556e7350f.png

Presumably picked up on the road……although ever ever seen anything like that before, actually come to think of it there is no way that could get there without being left in the calliper when renewing pads, what a bo11ock brain!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

actually come to think of it there is no way that could get there without being left in the calliper when renewing pads, what a bo11ock brain!

Even then I can't think how you'd get it stuck there. Wonder if the bolt was actually dropped in the brake pad factory?

• RMweb Gold

Really annoyed this morning, they have built a school opposite our house for kids with learning difficulties and they said while it was being built it would have a maximum of say 30 pupils, that has now grown to about 60 so as you can imagine the traffic has increased somewhat, not a massive issue but some of the parents drive like idiots into our estate when dropping the kids off, the entrance is about 20m from our house and the exit is right opposite our drive (end of a cul de sac)

This morning one of the parents come flying round the corner while I was just about to pull out to pass one of the residents parked cars on one of the corners, I saw him just before I was fully commited to pull out so stopped with my front out to the centre of the road slightly, but he was so close to the centre of the road had to swerve and brake to avoid hitting me, I signalled to him to wind his window down which he ignored and Carried on to the school so I turned round and pulled along side him and asked him politely to slow down a bit while in the estate as there are kids about only to be told by him ‘im going below the speed limit, do you know what the speed limit is and it was his right of way anyway’ 

I said yes but in the estate I’d rather he drove below the speed for everyone’s safety only for him to then repeat he was going below the limit and it was his right of way, I said I’d already had one cat run over and didn’t want another one killed to which he just shrugged and wound his window up

I’ve just phoned the council to request a review of traffic calming measures in the estate as it’s getting ridiculous, it’s now a school zone so surely should really have reduced speed limit and those flashing lights, we have zig zags opposite the house etc but that’s it

to be honest it’s not the first time this particular vehicle (both him and his wife) have had near misses with us and others in the estate, I wouldn’t have minded had he said sorry or just said ok then carried on but to start mouthing off at me was what really annoyed me, I’m sure he’d be the first to complain if someone ran his kid over outside his house or school 

• Friendly/supportive 19

4 hours ago, big jim said:

Really annoyed this morning, they have built a school opposite our house for kids with learning difficulties and they said while it was being built it would have a maximum of say 30 pupils, that has now grown to about 60 so as you can imagine the traffic has increased somewhat, not a massive issue but some of the parents drive like idiots into our estate when dropping the kids off, the entrance is about 20m from our house and the exit is right opposite our drive (end of a cul de sac)

This morning one of the parents come flying round the corner while I was just about to pull out to pass one of the residents parked cars on one of the corners, I saw him just before I was fully commited to pull out so stopped with my front out to the centre of the road slightly, but he was so close to the centre of the road had to swerve and brake to avoid hitting me, I signalled to him to wind his window down which he ignored and Carried on to the school so I turned round and pulled along side him and asked him politely to slow down a bit while in the estate as there are kids about only to be told by him ‘im going below the speed limit, do you know what the speed limit is and it was his right of way anyway’ 

I said yes but in the estate I’d rather he drove below the speed for everyone’s safety only for him to then repeat he was going below the limit and it was his right of way, I said I’d already had one cat run over and didn’t want another one killed to which he just shrugged and wound his window up

I’ve just phoned the council to request a review of traffic calming measures in the estate as it’s getting ridiculous, it’s now a school zone so surely should really have reduced speed limit and those flashing lights, we have zig zags opposite the house etc but that’s it

to be honest it’s not the first time this particular vehicle (both him and his wife) have had near misses with us and others in the estate, I wouldn’t have minded had he said sorry or just said ok then carried on but to start mouthing off at me was what really annoyed me, I’m sure he’d be the first to complain if someone ran his kid over outside his house or school 

I would have a chat with

1. The Police, they can issue a S59 notice

2. The Anti Social Behaviour Team at your local authority

3. The School

All at the same time

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, big jim said:

I know how you feel it got so bad at the school near us the police started to to attend to get some order 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 4

20 hours ago, big jim said:

You certainly need one of those "20 when flashing lights show" zones or just a blanket 20mph speed limit on the estate.  But they do need enforcing.

• Agree 3

On 05/12/2022 at 14:24, big jim said:

Unfortunately a gravestone which reads "Here lies XXXX. He was in the right" is of no use to anybody.

A friend of mine often says to me "you can't teach stupid". It sounds like it applies here.

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Unfortunately a gravestone which reads "Here lies XXXX. He was in the right" is of no use to anybody.

A friend of mine often says to me "you can't teach stupid". It sounds like it applies here.

In Arnos Vale Cenetery in Bristol is the gravestone of a gentleman 'suddenly called home while motorcycling'

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2022 at 14:24, big jim said:

‘im going below the speed limit, do you know what the speed limit is and it was his right of way anyway’ 

so tempting this morning, as I was coming home the same car was passing the same parked cars in the estate in the opposite direction, he’d already gone part way past them but I was so tempted to just carry on and block his way then tell him ‘it’s my right of way’’ 

I wouldn’t of course but part of me really wanted to! 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

First pic looks like an attempt at a DIY ventilated disc, how very strange it failed.

I bet the driver was showing off in McDonalds car park how he/she saved money doing it himself rather than pay for some “proper” rip off priced genuine ventilated discs, maybe along with MoT tests we should have IQ tests for drivers?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

First pic looks like an attempt at a DIY ventilated disc, how very strange it failed.

I bet the driver was showing off in McDonalds car park how he/she saved money doing it himself rather than pay for some “proper” rip off priced genuine ventilated discs, maybe along with MoT tests we should have IQ tests for drivers?

The second one was a BMW.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see some of the driving when I go out later.

Many don't seen to understand that 1st gear is not so useful when the roads are slippery. Too much torque will make wheels slip, so pulling away in 2nd can help.

Braking is awkward. ABS helps but I've been told many times that engine braking is better. This is against the laws of physics: engine braking is just through 1-2 wheels (most cars are 2WD, but the differential means these are not always both providing drive). Foot braking acts on all 4 wheels & all 4 tyres are in contact with the road. The trick is to be gentle enough to not lock the wheels up.

Do many others have a set of tyres for winter? I put mine on 2 weeks ago. Maybe it is peace of mind that if I do need to stop suddenly, I may do it in a slightly shorter distance & that could make a difference between damage/injury & avoiding it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23181759.brighton-council-urged-act-mum-crashes-elm-grove-bollard/

Person drives into traffic island then blames everyone else but herself!

Just as well there wasn’t someone stood  on the crossing

It was really rainy and it was about quarter to five, so it was already getting dark,”

also…..

“We were coming down the hill at normal speed.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

59 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Braking is awkward. ABS helps but I've been told many times that engine braking is better. This is against the laws of physics: engine braking is just through 1-2 wheels (most cars are 2WD, but the differential means these are not always both providing drive). Foot braking acts on all 4 wheels & all 4 tyres are in contact with the road. The trick is to be gentle enough to not lock the wheels up.

Do many others have a set of tyres for winter? I put mine on 2 weeks ago. Maybe it is peace of mind that if I do need to stop suddenly, I may do it in a slightly shorter distance & that could make a difference between damage/injury & avoiding it.

Been having fun with the Smart in this weather (snow polished to ice) not having had a rear engined car before. It's on grooved tyres that have naff all grip in icy conditions. All the reviews for the TwingoSmart mention how it's set up to feel like a regular front wheel drive car but it's not the case now. The back likes to slide out on roundabouts and a rough change down for engine braking will break traction on the rear wheels and make the rear follow the road camber. The front can feel a bit weird too not having much weight there.

I used to have winter tyres but the weather here has been so mild the last few years there wasn't much point. Still have a set for the Jazz but they've been in the garage for seven years or so and I'm not sure what state they're in.

For the Smart I got a set of Autosocks just in case and they'll definitely be needed should I encounter a slight incline.