Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

• RMweb Gold

We have obtained these two recently, although I havn't had a chance to look through them properly yet, so have no idea how much use they could potentially be.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Southern-Infrastructure-1922-Signalling-Trackwork/dp/1909328111

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Southern-Infrastructure-1922-Photographs-Collection/dp/1909328243

Stuart

The Wallis pictures are excellent and while Kevin Roberston knows a lot more about the Southern than the Western I would tread cautiously with captions if they are like some of those in the similar volume covering the Western (as his lack of signalling knowledge is painfully displayed in some of the captions in that one).  I would recommend George Pryer's book without a moment's hesitation (he was a  nice bloke too - we had a considerable laugh together, much earlier in this century, at what someone was trying to sell us when we attended a demonstration of a software a bunch of numbskulls had put together for allegedly training Signalmen).

###### #### ### ####

Still not checked the fuse then?

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I raided the Salisbury Costa today for some stirrers (I did have a coffee too) but they are nearly as thin as the Starbucks ones (which a friend obtained) - only 5mm wide at best. Perhaps cutting your own is the right way to go.

John

• RMweb Gold

Why can't the FY loops start on the two curved boards ? That way you could have either longer loops, or two yards on narrower boards, with the ends of the loops on the middle board opposite the scenic section.

Have you seen this post ? 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94350-mid-cornwall-lines-1950s-western-region-in-00/?p=2147186

• Like 1

As I mentioned earlier things are likely to change a little here, the layout may be straightened out and become an end-to-end.

The reason?

Mark F had finished the track plan in Templot, very nice indeed with just the compromise of the curve on the right hand side of the layout.

However, and it's a big however, Chris Spams started to look at the scenic depths. Bearing in mind that the boards are two feet wide/long and 4 feet deep. It seems because of the fact we are modelling on a hill side, most of the boards may be up to 2 feet deep. While this was going on I was measuring the trailer and sketching up what size the transit boxes could be.

Oh!

The volume of space required was possibly up to two times that of my trailer...

I knew something was up, as Old Gringo whispered to me quietly on the train the other day that he thought it was big.

It's obvious in the light of day but I got somehow blinded.

Re-think required, solution on the way...

So to explain the issue a little further below was the previous proposal;

post-8734-0-00642700-1451750462.jpg

The boards are shown in red; 10 off 2 feet by 4 feet.

If we modelled the hill from front the back with a ruling gradient of 1 in 2, this means the scenery would raise by two feet from front to back - most of the boards would be like this.

So I need to come up of a way of minimising the board depths.

One of the ways I'm thinking of reconfiguring the boards is below;

attachicon.gifpost-6677-0-48338400-1451157966-2_thumb.jpg

Perhaps with a slight 'S' shape front?

Please forgive my crude 'Paint' modifications to Marks Templot plan.

Putting the track at the front of the main board allows for at least 18 inches behind for; platform, station building and station access road. Hopefully the scenics will reach the fence line of the 'main' road above to give a scenic break.

post-8734-0-63109400-1451751766_thumb.jpg

Note the ex - Treneglos baseboard (Pictured) is only 20" wide, the tape measure is showing 24".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why do the boards have to be horizontal ?

If you made them on a slope, so the front edge is some inches below the back edge, they would not be as deep.

post-7025-0-14503800-1451752391.jpg

So when laid flat you could stack them as normal boards.

Edited by Stubby47

Why do the boards have to be horizontal ?

If you made the on a slope, so the front edge is some inches below the back edge, they would not be as deep.

Its not a constantly angled hill. on the left the railway is cut into the hill, but on the right hand side the railway is on an embankment with the hill then rising behind and above it.

• RMweb Premium

One of the Settle and Carlisle layouts that is/was on the circuit had flatboards of various sizes which supported the railway infrastructure and had the scenic boards which attached front and rear to give a regular footprint to the overal layout. The scenery varied between cutting and embankment, but it was difficult to see where one started and the next finished. Each section had its own travelling box. I think the layout featured in one of the MRJ's a few years ago.

Mark - Fs sent me this very nice concept drawing yesterday.

post-8734-0-16826100-1451829610.jpg

He's taken the plan from the Measured and Drawn book, overlaid with templot showing possible board positions and has also put a really nice 'S' curve frontage on, which basically follows the road at the front.

I'm really liking this, the curved boards and lighting fascia's will be interesting to make...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Slightly improved version, green rectangles represent 4' x 2' baseboard outlines.

post-6677-0-60161000-1451856705_thumb.jpg

The point in the yard is different to the plan, as I think we've seen a photo showing it this way around rather than as it is drawn on the plan I've been following.  Curved frontage roughly follows the "Road to Bratton Mill" - which wouldn't be a bad name for a layout if you didn't already have one.

• Like 7