7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Here is the latest version of the Templot plan, amended to more accurately reflect the prototype's point work.

post-6677-0-48338400-1451157966_thumb.jpg

All turnouts are 1:8 and should be placed so that they are clear of baseboard joints.

I've used 30' rails.  Hopefully just a bit of sleeper shoving to do to tidy it up in a few places - unless I've missed anything?

• Like 6

Here is the latest version of the Templot plan, amended to more accurately reflect the prototype's point work.

attachicon.gifBF261215.JPG

All turnouts are 1:8 and should be placed so that they are clear of baseboard joints.

I've used 30' rails.  Hopefully just a bit of sleeper shoving to do to tidy it up in a few places - unless I've missed anything?

That's looking great Mark.

Is the point on the left a curved point and all the rest standard straights? Or are there subtle curves through the rest of it as well?

• RMweb Premium

That's looking great Mark.

Is the point on the left a curved point and all the rest standard straights? Or are there subtle curves through the rest of it as well?

There will be subtle curves through each of them; if there is any straight track on there, it's more by accident than by design.

Added the trap point last night too. 

• Like 1

Costa Coffee stirrers are about 1.2mm x 5.5mm x 180mm .. Any use ?? .... (The ones I have vary from 5.4mm to 5.9mm wide.)

A simple jig would enable sanding to width required, but I realise that you have a no-sandpaper status to maintain!

The thickness of 1.2mm just means less ballast required? A cost saving of about 25% !!

Costa Coffee stirrers are about 1.2mm x 5.5mm x 180mm .. Any use ?? .... (The ones I have vary from 5.4mm to 5.9mm wide.)

A simple jig would enable sanding to width required, but I realise that you have a no-sandpaper status to maintain!

The thickness of 1.2mm just means less ballast required? A cost saving of about 25% !!

Ha ha, interesting.

I think I'll end up buying a sheet of 1.6mm ply and cutting my own out with a knife.

That's sleepers - not stirrers...

You will probably find getting a sheet of thin ply and cutting the strips works out cheaper. That's what Ray did for his new layout. Does help having a small bandsaw or table saw though....

I knew somebody had said that to me and it was you..

Where did you get the ply from? anywhere in particular?

You're closer than you think.

I'm currently scratching my head over why C&L don't sell the thinner (1.6mm) wooden sleepers anymore..

I had a load of 1.5 crossing timbers in stock, when I found out they had stopped. I bought a 300mm square sheets and cut them my self. In 0 guage two sheets made 500 sleepers and it was only a few hours with a simple jig. Done whilst watching telly with Misses. It is thin enough to cut with a stanley or similar.

Edited by N15class
  • Like 1

I had a load of 1.5 crossing timbers in stock, when I found out they had stopped. I bought a 300mm square sheets and cut them my self. In 0 guage two sheets made 500 sleepers and it was only a few hours with a simple jig. Done whilst watching telly with Misses. It is thin enough to cut with a stanley or similar.

Thanks for that.

I've ordered some off the 'T'interweb. I thought we should be able to cut with a knife so I'm pleased you've confirmed that.

Mark has also very kindly sourced me some brass rivets from the Scalefour society, so it looks like we are in for another point build shortly.

Perhaps this one may get used on the layout...

• Like 1

So, for the point work on the scenic section I seem to be honing in on the 'Brook-Smith' method of track construction.

This consists of plywood sleepers with holes punched in them to take brass rivets. The rail is soldered to the rivets, cleaned up and then cosmetic plastic chairs, or in our case baseplates, are then applied either side.

This method was described in detail by Iain Rice in his 'An approach to Building Finescale track in 4mm'. We used this method many years ago when we built New Haden Colliery.

post-8734-0-17362300-1451299392_thumb.jpg

This could well be the ideal solution; the strength of solder joints, the looks of stained ply sleepers and the use of the KB baseplates.

We shall see..

• Like 3