7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Funny you should say that, as that's exactly what we did when we built Treneglos.Although, to be fair, that was more about the impending birth of Spams first baby rather than any kind of best practice being rolled out...

Didn't we do most of the heavy duty scenics on BCB before trackwork as well?

Having adopted the plan that young Spams had kindly drawn, link;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102560-lb-project-narrow-lines-through-bratton/?p=2009507

(the second one, twenty foot long.)

I've started to think about what sort of fiddle yard I may need/ can have.

I'm working on the basis that I'll have all five locomotives hauling a representative mix of trains of both the main periods of L&B and Southern liveries.

On this basis I think I'm looking at 6 loops in the fiddle yard and perhaps a short siding for the track cleaning train. The sixth loop could be used for 'guest appearances'.

Once I've got the main lines around on narrow curved boards I figure that I've got 12 feet to play with for the fiddleyards. This will probably mean 3 x 4 foot long boards at 2 foot wide - perhaps less.

The points are a bit longer than 12"...

post-8734-0-51262200-1450701983_thumb.jpg

In order to get 6 sidings there needs to be three a minimum of 3 points in a row;

post-8734-0-93487900-1450702088_thumb.jpg

So...

The point's should fit on one board either end and leave most (bar 2) of the loops at the minimum of 5 feet length, which is roughly what the loop length is around the front. As the train lengths will vary I'm comfortable to have a couple of loops slightly shorter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Why can't the FY loops start on the two curved boards ? That way you could have either longer loops, or two yards on narrower boards, with the ends of the loops on the middle board opposite the scenic section.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

Why can't the FY loops start on the two curved boards ? That way you could have either longer loops, or two yards on narrower boards, with the ends of the loops on the middle board opposite the scenic section.

The curved boards will be minimum width simple curves and as long as I can get the same loop length in the fiddle as at the front I'm not really bothered.

Lets keep it simple.

I've managed to delete this post;

In terms of the fiddleyard board width, my thinking is as follows;

Using an end view of a coach with duckets;

post-8734-0-87126000-1450706438_thumb.jpg

So add 3/4 inch either side for fat fingers and we get to 3 2/5 inches per road. This means for 6 roads the boards will be around 21 inches wide.

Of course these sorts of track centres may well mean that points have to be spread out further.

I'd try and work it out but my printer-scanner has given up.

I'll try not to delete it this time...

• RMweb Premium

And I deleted my reply, because it made no sense after you deleted yours!

The amount of overhang takes some getting used to. I swapped the temporary P4 wheels in your wagon chassis for some 00 ones of the correct diameter last night; even gauged for 16.5 it looks strange!

What back to back are we aiming for?; I might regauge them properly tonight.

• RMweb Premium

The amount of overhang takes some getting used to. I swapped the temporary P4 wheels in your wagon chassis for some 00 ones of the correct diameter last night; even gauged for 16.5 it looks strange!

And I deleted my reply to your reply because it made no sense after you deleted it because Damian deleted his. My head hurts...

Found it !

http://o14group.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/14mm-standards-02.pdf

12.4mm to 12.5mm.

Good idea, not sure it needs to be a point. A reverse curve to your minimum radius and a short length of straight track for coupling setting would be useful.

Ok.

So a 'S' shape going into to a straight with a coupling mounted at the end on a block.

Does it need check rails?

I'm thinking one for Stafford and one for the Northern contingent.

Ok.

So a 'S' shape going into to a straight with a coupling mounted at the end on a block.

Does it need check rails?

I'm thinking one for Stafford and one for the Northern contingent.

The minimum radius I'm working to is 36 inches.

post-8734-0-29245600-1450713792_thumb.jpg

I'll simulate the reverse curves to look like back to back points and put check rails in where they would be on the points.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Before the track...any thoughts on land form heights?

I was holding off until you'd settled on the layout size / track plan and it was drawn up with correct point sizes etc. I wasn't 100% sure what conclusions the track / Templot collective have reached. Moving the track around could make quite a difference to the landforms.

(see, uncle Gringo has taught me well...)