7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

I've got some free time today, so shall we build another point?

To start off all I'm filing the base of the stock rail to allow the switch rail to sit flush. Having previously been on a random foray I've elected not to file any of the top of the rail!

First off all I've marked the length that needs filing on the rail.

post-8734-0-00398500-1450354038_thumb.jpg

Then I've filed the base of the rail flush with the top.

post-8734-0-67007500-1450354381_thumb.jpg

Making sure that I de-burr afterwards using a small file along the length of the work area

Hmmmm,

Looking at the photo and then going back and checking with the gauges I've got the wing rail nose in the wrong place.

Lets try again;

post-8734-0-79865800-1450360952_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-40166700-1450360967_thumb.jpg

There was too much of a gap between the 'V' and the wing rail which meant the nose ended up further out than it should be.

I'm happier with this now

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That looks alot better.

I'm surprised there is so much play in the wing rail spacing from the roller guides - does the accuracy also depend on the width of the rail head ?

Would a set of spark plug feeler gauges be any better in managing the spacing ?

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

That looks alot better.

I'm surprised there is so much play in the wing rail spacing from the roller guides - does the accuracy also depend on the width of the rail head ?

Would a set of spark plug feeler gauges be any better in managing the spacing ?

If you're not paying attention and don't push down the gauges - it's easy done. The gauges are very tight fit I'm having to tap them into place now.

Also as it turns out the rule is about the right thickness to check the gap.

• RMweb Premium

If the first wing rail was gauged from the stock rail, what was the second wing rail gauged from ?

There are (at least) two different schools of thought, one says start with the straight stock rail and work your way across, as D is doing; another is to start at the common crossing and work outwards from that. I prefer the latter, but I'm no expert.
  • Like 1

There are (at least) two different schools of thought, one says start with the straight stock rail and work your way across, as D is doing; another is to start at the common crossing and work outwards from that. I prefer the latter, but I'm no expert.

I go this way because I believe it ensures smooth alignment with adjacent track with no 'joggles'.

Just my view and like you I'm no expert.