7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

Question is; what size would you like?

attachicon.gifswitch.JPG

The plan I sent you used a 15' switch, top one of the two below is a 9' (bottom is a 15' as originally drawn for comparison).

attachicon.gifFB2.JPG

I also note that using the 9' seems to sort out the sleeper spacing issue

Not trying to compete with Mark

I have here a 1:8 turnout with a 10' switch specially done for the L&B by John Clutterbuck

attachicon.gifo14_master_pages_2015_12_01_2049_49.pdf

Templot box file

attachicon.gifo14_master_2015_12_01_2000_41.box

Enjoy, all you have to do now is build it

Geoff

One of the problems with narrow gauge in model form is what look right, when all previous offerings (from the trade) are of very small radii. The eye gets used to what is wrong. Having said that does a prototypical size scale down to model form ?

Looking at the 3 plans the 9 & 10 foot turnouts do look much better, especially with the shorter check rails

I'm up for a bit of tinkering. Having realised, through the technical input of friends, the point needs shortening to get the switch angle sitting correctly against the stock rail.

Rather than start again I've decided to try this out on my current 'prototype'. Because I've filed an 'inlet' on the stock rail I first off all need to move that in first. This means removing a section of plain rail and moving the stock rail along.

post-8734-0-74532700-1449409507_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-90016000-1449409747_thumb.jpg

Of course when I do the proper build I'll use the plans sent to me earlier from Geoff/Mark. But this will at least give me feel of what looks like is going to work..

• Like 2

This is what it looks like;

post-8734-0-11091400-1449411325_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-14573400-1449411330_thumb.jpg

Issues;

1) I've filed too much out of the top of the stock rail - the switch blade goes too far in

2) I've not filed enough off the bottom of the stock rail to let the switch blade in

3) the 'inlet' needs to be longer (two sleepers in total - S5 to S7) in the stock rail.

Other than that, I think this will probably work...

Pub time

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you file the foot off of the stock rails and file down the switch toes to a suitable fine point, please leave the foot of the switch intact on the 2 foot side of the rail, then with a set in the curved stock rail there should be no need to file a notch in the stock rails.

There is a diagram somewhere on the Templot Forum which shows what is required, I am unable to post a link at the moment, but I will have a look later.

If you file the foot off of the stock rails and file down the switch toes to a suitable fine point, please leave the foot of the switch intact on the 2 foot side of the rail, then with a set in the curved stock rail there should be no need to file a notch in the stock rails.

There is a diagram somewhere on the Templot Forum which shows what is required, I am unable to post a link at the moment, but I will have a look later.

Yes, agreed and that's how I've always built points - however for some reason I thought I'd try this...

• Like 1

This is what it looks like;

attachicon.gifIMG_1477.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1478.jpg

Issues;

1) I've filed too much out of the top of the stock rail - the switch blade goes too far in

2) I've not filed enough off the bottom of the stock rail to let the switch blade in

3) the 'inlet' needs to be longer (two sleepers in total - S5 to S7) in the stock rail.

Other than that, I think this will probably work...

Pub time

Damiam

I do like the plastic chairs, what make are they please

Not trying to compete with Mark

I have here a 1:8 turnout with a 10' switch specially done for the L&B by John Clutterbuck

attachicon.gifo14_master_pages_2015_12_01_2049_49.pdf

Templot box file

attachicon.gifo14_master_2015_12_01_2000_41.box

Enjoy, all you have to do now is build it

Geoff

I've not been in Templot for a bit so before I've printed this out I had to let the updates do their thing.

Anyway, this the print out that Geoff's attached, in particular the one done by John Clutterbuck for the L&B;

post-8734-0-02274800-1449929282_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

And here's the comparison with my cobbled up test piece, and the 0n30 fast tracks jig;

post-8734-0-18398300-1449931494_thumb.jpg

I've gone a bit short on the switch with my test piece and the fast track jig is a bit longer which you would expect because the gauge is wider.

My way forward now is to build another test piece using the 'Clutterbuck' o14, 1 in 8, 10' switch L&B plan.

The long way round? - probably...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Damian

If you remember, we looked at these when we were in Birmingham with Motor Boat Saltaire for the canal blockade in 2006.

I think we decided they are not real (as in put in later)...  this was a council waste site - I thnk it was called Muck turn.  Further round from that kink the gauge narrows dramatically...

Andy 

• RMweb Premium

Damian

If you remember, we looked at these when we were in Birmingham with Motor Boat Saltaire for the canal blockade in 2006.

I think we decided they are not real (as in put in later)...  this was a council waste site - I thnk it was called Muck turn.  Further round from that kink the gauge narrows dramatically...

Andy

Interesting, having walked past the track many times, I've always thought it didn't sit right. Mind you, it looks good for the tourists...