7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

I'm sorry to hear this project is stopped, especially after building the track for a model of Lynton a while back. Perhaps it is only sleepeth like the eponymous real thing.

If it does restart, or others make progress with the Slaters and EDM kits then I would like to remind you all I have correct "working" couplings available at zamzoodled.co.uk

John

• Like 1

If it does restart, or others make progress with the Slaters and EDM kits then I would like to remind you all I have correct "working" couplings available at zamzoodled.co.uk

John

John,

Can the Zamzoodle chopper be set up to provide 'delayed' uncoupling? ie. uncoupling at one point and propelling to another like the AJs?

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Managed to speak to David White on the Slaters stand at Guildex. Lyn - should look a lot crisper in detail as not using resin, castings done and just waiting for the etches to come back at the moment. Wheels still to make.

The coaches haven't been started yet but many common parts with the existing one.

Sooner rather than later.

Some other nice narrow gauge models on layouts and about.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, not me ... though I'm intrigued if there is someone else out there 'rebuilding Chelfham in O14'. I acquired Brian Taylor/Shoreham MRC's Chelfham just ahead of Warley 2012's L&B World, and when last I exhibited it in Burton 2-3 years ago I'd almost finished re-gauging. Needless to say, I've still only almost finished!

I have an L&B Models Lyn, bought from David Nicholson many years ago, which is still in its 'flatpack' state but I did get as far as talking to David about it at Bristol Trade Show a couple of years ago, when he mentioned that he'd made available a few replacement parts/addenda to the instructions that no-one has asked for since so few seem to have been built.

Do please let me know if you get back in touch with this other O14 Chelfham's owner: I'd like to view the competition (or have an excuse to throw in the towel!)

David H

Hi Dave

I have got a feeling it was you that the L&BT Trust where going to put me in contact with, you don't have to worry as I don’t think there is a rival, what happen is that I mentioned that I had a Lyn kit to a couple of the Trustees at Woody Bay a few years ago and Chelfham as a 7mm model came up in the conversation, I did say at the time that if the L&BR where to build a 0-14 gauge layout then I would be happy to let them have it for the project and they where going to put me in contact with who was leading the project, but it never happen. So I forgot all about the kit until I came across this thread.

I though I had sent it to Woody Bay for the guy to pick up but it never got posted; I found it the other day at the back of the modelling cupboard gathering dust while I was looking for another kit for another project. I let Dave T know I had found it as I realised he was looking for one, hopefully we can have a chat at Expo-ng if it helps to take this project forward a bit more.

I have, since then, found out that a couple of people I know also have both versions of the Manning Wardle kit in 7mm scale not built. At some stage I will ask if they want to sell them, I understand from some 0.14 gauge modellers that they are a pain in the backside (so what’s new, the new 009 Heljan models suffer the same problems by the looks of it) to build.

I am not sure how Paul is getting on with the new 7mm version, but if I can obtain all the locos before that one gets released then so be it, as it may just help put this project back on track.

I suspect that the idea of a 7mm model of the L&BR at Woody Bay built by the L&BRT was a good idea at the time, but it had not been thought through.  

Just as a side issue for some of you, the new L&BRT Lyn is almost finished at Keef’s and will be making its way to Devon in time for this years (2017) end of September Gala.

If you want to have a ride behind her, I suggest you try and book your tickets at Woody Bay before you go to the Gala, as it is suspected demand will out strip supply over the weekend.

http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/

Hope to see some of you there.

Edited by Baldwin30762
  • Like 1

Hi Dave

I have got a feeling it was you that the L&BT Trust where going to put me in contact with, you don't have to worry as I don’t think there is a rival, what happen is that I mentioned that I had a Lyn kit to a couple of the Trustees at Woody Bay a few years ago and Chelfham as a 7mm model came up in the conversation, I did say at the time that if the L&BR where to build a 0-14 gauge layout then I would be happy to let them have it for the project and they where going to put me in contact with who was leading the project, but it never happen. So I forgot all about the kit until I came across this thread.

I though I had sent it to Woody Bay for the guy to pick up but it never got posted; I found it the other day at the back of the modelling cupboard gathering dust while I was looking for another kit for another project. I let Dave T know I had found it as I realised he was looking for one, hopefully we can have a chat at Expo-ng if it helps to take this project forward a bit more.

I have, since then, found out that a couple of people I know also have both versions of the Manning Wardle kit in 7mm scale not built. At some stage I will ask if they want to sell them, I understand from some 0.14 gauge modellers that they are a pain in the backside (so what’s new, the new 009 Heljan models suffer the same problems by the looks of it) to build.

I am not sure how Paul is getting on with the new 7mm version, but if I can obtain all the locos before that one gets released then so be it, as it may just help put this project back on track.

I suspect that the idea of a 7mm model of the L&BR at Woody Bay built by the L&BRT was a good idea at the time, but it had not been thought through.

Just as a side issue for some of you, the new L&BRT Lyn is almost finished at Keef’s and will be making its way to Devon in time for this years (2017) end of September Gala.

If you want to have a ride behind her, I suggest you try and book your tickets at Woody Bay before you go to the Gala, as it is suspected demand will out strip supply over the weekend.

Very interesting.

It was always my intention to use the layout to promote the rebuilding of the real railway, perhaps with it passing to them once retired from the exhibition circuit.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

I have, since then, found out that a couple of people I know also have both versions of the Manning Wardle kit in 7mm scale not built. At some stage I will ask if they want to sell them, I understand from some 0.14 gauge modellers that they are a pain in the backside (so what’s new, the new 009 Heljan models suffer the same problems by the looks of it) to build.

Hi, thanks for all that info.

I was looking for a Lyn kit for this very project, not for myself.

I thought that one thing I could do to help was to try and locate one through my narrow-gauge connections, as Damian is mostly standard gauge orientated.

The Lyn kit I sold on  was one I inherited from a late friend.  He had started the chassis but not got far, and truth be told, his soldering was not the greatest.  Otherwise the kit was untouched.  So that should help with identifying it! 

All the best,

Dave.

Hi, thanks for all that info.

I was looking for a Lyn kit for this very project, not for myself.

I thought that one thing I could do to help was to try and locate one through my narrow-gauge connections, as Damian is mostly standard gauge orientated.

The Lyn kit I sold on  was one I inherited from a late friend.  He had started the chassis but not got far, and truth be told, his soldering was not the greatest.  Otherwise the kit was untouched.  So that should help with identifying it! 

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Dave thats the one, the chassis has been started, but to be honest I need more practices with brass etchings and soldering to be able to do this kit any justice, are you talking yourself into building this kit for this project? 

• RMweb Premium

....., are you talking yourself into building this kit for this project? 

That wasn't the plan, but if so desired....

All this talk of very rare kits just serves to show why this project is currently paused!

Not that rare, two batches (of 50 I think) were produced and sold very quickly.  Folks are hanging on to them though.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

That wasn't the plan, but if so desired....

Not that rare, two batches (of 50 I think) were produced and sold very quickly.  Folks are hanging on to them though.

Cheers, Dave.

I'd be delighted if this was built and was available to run on the layout in the future.

In the meantime the project 'sleepeth' until more stock becomes available...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Nicholson as I recall before ZTC days. DLT, Didn't you build one for "Jock" many years ago?

I bought the last Lyn kit from him after the intended buyer fell through.

Had the pleasure of seeing Lyd last week in passing.

Looking in a cupboard earlier found a coach kit  the L&B did.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave thats the one, the chassis has been started, but to be honest I need more practices with brass etchings and soldering to be able to do this kit any justice, are you talking yourself into building this kit for this project? 

I'd be delighted if this was built and was available to run on the layout in the future.

In the meantime the project 'sleepeth' until more stock becomes available...

Gentlemen, perhaps we need to have a three-way conversation on this?

Sadly though, I won't be at Swanley

Edited by DLT

• 1 month later...

All this talk of very rare kits just serves to show why this project is currently paused!

D, whilst the layout is paused, you might like to look out for this new book (?) - which I spotted on a stand at Burton Railway Collectors' Fair earlier today. 

James Hudson (the late Bill's son) said it had only just been published and had it not been £45 I might have bought one!

The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway - A Celebration, by Tony Nicholson, 2017, Crecy Publishing: a landscape format album (I'm guessing 11.5" x 8.5") with some good full page photographs.

All the best,

John.

P.S. James (Bill Hudson Transport Books) is based at Matlock Station and supports many model exhibitions.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I am not sure what the thinking is on this group about the Worsley Works 7mm Kits, I haven't seen any, but I spoke to Allen about them and he said he would produce them if there was a need? so is there still a need or are Brass coach kits to much hassle? 

Regards

Colin

I think its a question of matching what are fundamentally very similar vehicles in so far as (full size) construction detail goes. The new Slaters kit has set a benchmark for mouldings details which I don't think can be matched by etching. The problem is if you put a painted etched kit alongside the same injection moulded one you could probaby spot which was which. I have some Langley L&B coach kits sitting in the box which in all probability I won't build while there is a possibility of more injection moulded kits being produced.

Its a pity Slaters are not being more forthcoming about releasing further L&B vehicles as I would have thought there is a ready market for them.

Steve

Edited by steve howe

• 3 months later...