Why Would I Choose 00-SF ?

Semi Fast

Vitalspark

I had to look twice at those b&w photos... it was only the board join (observation not at all a criticism) that gave it away. If you removed that- either in model or in photoshop, I think we'd struggle to tell it was a model. Gordon's ET can pull the same 'trick' of "is it real or model"- that seems to be quite common for small layouts, but must be incredibly difficult to get that standard in a large layout. Hat is well and truly off.

Now can all those "I can do better" types please show me photos of YOUR fully completed layout so I can compare them? Don't both of you rush at once.

Derek

Thanks for the compliment Derek..yes we fill the baseboard joints with flock to disguise them when at shows and at 34ft the layout has a fair few but it works pretty well.

Of course its usually me below unbolting the things at the end of the show that gets an eyeful when they are parted!

I also like the B&W images and feel they can be more effective for certain situations.

I know this is not the thread for posting images so apologies in advance…cant resist.

Sorry for getting 'sidetracked'..

Thanks

Dave

post-2371-0-97250900-1443904631_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-59782000-1443903991_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-36781400-1443904039_thumb.jpeg

post-2371-0-54997900-1443904121_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-46699400-1443904247_thumb.jpeg

post-2371-0-40976500-1443904292_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

If I was acquainted with this layout previously then I confess I had forgotten.

I have studied the prototype and am fairly familiar with it so when I encountered the model earlier it just shouted 'Alloa' at me.

I think it's fantastic. One of my favourite Scottish.

Lovely to see Alloa featured here, I've long admired it.

As others have said, I don't care what '00' standard it's built to, it's a great testament to what can be achieved in 00 with hand built track. Inspirational stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Wow…what compliments!..and thank you all.

Yes its at Wakefield this year but as its a Friday opening show we had explained that we might not be completely up and running by opening time as its a 4 hour build..after a 4 hr drive..! 

Talk about pressure..it better perform ok now.

Make yourselves known..I am Davy S..there will also be Davy F of bufferstop fame..Lanarkshire Model Supplies?!..plus SCRSG of this forum will also be operating.

We are a small group..single figure membership.. so almost the whole lot of us will be in attendance.

We are in great company this year with some seriously good names also in attendance..hope I can escape to have decent look round.

Alloa has not really been run properly since Warley last November as we have been working on a new layout so next few weeks will have to be spent checking and fettling and hopefully everything ok. 

Dave.

Edited by vitalspark
  • Like 2

Oi, don't drag me into your gauging arguements mister Vitalspark, I'm perfectly happy with me EM trainset but I'll play with anybody elses trainset if I'm asked nicely....

Dave Franks

Its just that its such a complimicated bag of spanners you are the only one in our midst that would have half an idea how all this works.

Just a thought..Mr D our master trackbuilder reckons by going up to EM and extending the check rails right round the layout we could run dual EM/16.5..would let you bring your toys from next door for a run round a real train set…no three links allowed though.. 

Edited by vitalspark

• RMweb Premium

In the "Modelling Musings & Miscellany" section of RMWeb there is a topic entitled "A Borchester Market Appreciation Topic";  Post #150 (on page 6) may be of interest to followers of 00-SF :)

I'd post a direct link, but this stupid PC won't play ball....

polybear

I've long been a fan of Frank Dyer's Borchester Market layout and was catching up with various threads this morning when I came across this in the Borchester Market thread.  It made very interesting reading.

It may answer a question or two that has been raised in the past....

Having had the pleasure of Frank Dyer's company at The Model Railway Club for a number of years, I make no excuses for repeating what I may have posted on other threads. Frank was a regular at the MRC in the late 1970s, early 1980s and was in on the discussions for what was to replace the original MRC OO layout, the Longridge, Brampton Sands and Calshot layout, built in the early 1960s and showing signs of wear.

Frank offered to draw a number of plans for us which I still have in my possession. We drew up a list of what the layout should contain, and we eventually chose the plan that was to become New Annington. The original plan was to quite a small scale, so Frank re-drew it larger (before the days when everyone had a photocopier) with immense detail on it, siding and loop lengths, radius of curves, signals, the lot, and a Borchester style fiddle yard! Frank offered to build the track for Dyers End, the branch terminus.

A few weeks later he rolled up at the MRC with an armful of track and points, all built to 16.2mm gauge. He explained that stock to BRMSB standards would happily run on it the difference being narrower flangeways on the points which gave a more realistic appearance. His track certainly worked without fault during the life of that layout. In fact one of the buildings, a country pub that had been on the LBSCR layout was deemed to be good enough to be used on New Annington.

Remember Frank was in the architecture business and would have used Perspex in architectural modelling, this may explain why he used that for his platforms. Frank certainly had an eye for detail, and this showed in his workmanship, achieving a visual and operational  standard that many of us could only dream of. the only thing that let Borchester down was the huge girder across the buffers on his stock, his version of the tension lock couplings, but as he pointed out, with the sharp radii he used he couldn't afford buffer locking in hidden sidings.

In his hidden sidings he used something called "the Bug" to shunt stock. This was a Kitmaster motor bogie just fitted with the bar across the buffers couplers, so it would never actuially couple to anything; it was only used to push stock out!

I've actually built another of Frank's "New Annington collection" layouts at home, though it's far from finished yet! I tried using DOOGAF-fine standards, but it doesn't work properly; I'm having to rebuild the pointwork to 16.2mm gauge to save pushing any more wheels out on their axles!

Does anyone know what happened to Frank's rolling stock? And yes, I remember his original layout at the 1962 Central Hall show; it was a roundy-roundy but never operated as such. I wish the present custodians of Borchester well and hope they get the layout back to the operating standards that Frank insisted on.

Edited to add that most of the plans Frank done for the MRC included a centre loco release road with a 3-way point and a ladder of diamond crossings and slips! The fiddle yards were also full of slips and 3 ways and a loco turntable or two.

Edit:  Amazing coincidence Brian.  We were both reading the same thing...:-)

Edited by gordon s

Is new Annington the one that got updated from steam to west coast electrics ?thinking about it that had a branch line to dyers end ,I saw the mag with it in (railway modeller I think) but never seen pics of it as a steam layout ,

Great modelling though ,was the track work kept to 16.2 when remodelled ?

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Good to see that post about Frank Dyer using 16.2mm "EM minus 2" in the early 1980s, and confirms what I'd heard before. He wasn't the only one, as others copied him. That was during the time I was manufacturing 16.2mm pointwork commercially. It certainly wasn't the "no-one has ever heard of it" situation which DOGA claim. Had they done their research a bit more carefully, 4-SF could have been one of their published standards, and all these years of heated argument avoided.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80479-a-borchester-market-layout-appreciation-topic/page-6&do=findComment&comment=2045752

Templot has now been updated, so everyone should now be seeing 4-SF in the gauge list on there instead of 00-SF.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
link added
  • Like 2

Martin, I was very happy to read that post this morning as it confirmed what you have said on many occasions, but was felt in some quarters to be hearsay.....

Great to see someone of Frank Dyer's reputation using 16.2mm gauge and 1mm flangeways over 30 years ago.

• Like 3

Good to see that post about Frank Dyer using 16.2mm "EM minus 2" in the early 1980s, and confirms what I'd heard before. He wasn't the only one, as others copied him. That was during the time I was manufacturing 16.2mm pointwork commercially. It certainly wasn't the "no-one has ever heard of it" situation which DOGA claim. Had they done their research a bit more carefully, 4-SF could have been one of their published standards, and all these years of heated argument avoided.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80479-a-borchester-market-layout-appreciation-topic/page-6&do=findComment&comment=2045752

Templot has now been updated, so everyone should now be seeing 4-SF in the gauge list on there instead of 00-SF.

Martin.

Whilst searching for more info on New Annington, I came across this page.

One assumes they knew it was 00-SF in 16.2mm gauge.... :D

http://www.doubleogauge.com/whyoo.htm

Edited by gordon s

Just stop it you two! You are having altogether too much fun with this. Show some respect, please :)

I am just surprised that out two friends have been so silent, perhaps they are doing some modelling. Could one or both be building a **sf turnout ?  :nono:  :scratchhead: