Dapol 08

Kickstart

Thanks Andy/Bill

I do have some ideas, but know nothing about the world of "O"... A new focus as you say might be a good thing..

Have a look at Jintymans Dapol Cargowagon and OCA in Railfreight so brilliantly weathered, not sure which of his threads there on, his Workbench or Tallallyn, both in the 7mm Section, really inspirational. 

Thanks Andy/Bill

I do have some ideas, but know nothing about the world of "O"... A new focus as you say might be a good thing..

Hi Scott

Go for it you will not look back as I have been told many times on here take your time.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Or you can join the rest of us in waiting to see if Dapol will develop the model to cover the later variations.

Both Dapol and Tower have told me that the next version will be out Christmas next year/early 2018. Dapol at Warley told me that with various versions and specials, they expect the 08 to stay in the catalogue for four to five years.

Rich

• Like 1

I think this is a cracking model and can't complain but I think the side ladders (for those that have this version ) maybe become the 'Achilles heel'.  Real shame this as I have spent best part of an hour and a half 'playing pickup sticks' with the rungs which most decided to almost all 'fall out' when I noticed one was misaligned and tried to correct.  It was just like watching a dried out Christmas Tree which shed all its pine needles onto the carpet when you knock them.

I also lost (but did manage to find with a magnet after much searching) the tiny pin that holds the ladder uprights to the protruding roof bracket.  This was not a pin but a bit of wire with no pin head just short piece pushed through the two oversize holes (oversize compared to the wire diameter).  I assume the only thing that prevented the the wire and rungs falling out was the paint but this is just coming away from the metal if you handle it in any way as surface does not appear to be primed.  I think that it was only the interference from the original paint that held it all together in the first place.

I have not been able to put back in its box as any movement of the ladder will cause the rungs to pop out again, Super Glue is out of the question so I think I will try gluing with watered down PVA glue as this should seep into holes enough to hold rungs and at same time be thin enough to not notice when it dries clear and won't damage the finish of the rungs/ladder parts.    

Again not knocking a good product its just shame this part is so fragile as it looks so good and is an amazing addition...   Has any one else had a similar experience and if so did you find a method to secure in a more effective way?

Edited by Greenmodelmonkey

Just wondering who obtained the best price...

I got my pair at £163 each from Holt Model Railways who honoured the price they quoted when I placed the order way back when.

Caveat: I had settle for 2 x D3045 as the wholesaler was unable to obtain the other BR Blue versions, so I've got some work to do, including removal of the ladder(s).

Randall

£145 Inc postage from the club.

Couple of photos of initial stages of fitting sound to my black 08, following Paul's instructions, using a Zimo MX644D, LS40x22x09 twin speaker and his Activedrive sound file. Final speaker fixing and wiring tidying still required. Burbles along nice & smoothly and lighting fully operative. It will be interesting to compare this to the factory fitted sound green version currently on order. I succumbed to the black one as too impatient to wait for the green!! :O

Must do something about the lack of windscreen wipers though.

gallery_8865_4100_875580.jpg

gallery_8865_4100_747178.jpg

Just re looked at this Vaughan, very useful for seeing how you did the Stay alive doo dahh.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Again not knocking a good product its just shame this part is so fragile as it looks so good and is an amazing addition...   Has any one else had a similar experience and if so did you find a method to secure in a more effective way?

I suspect that one of the smaller manufacturers (Brassmasters, are you listening?)might well come along with a better aftermarket option along with the missing guard irons.

In fact, since they are at Warley, I'll pop over to the stand and suggest it to them.

• Like 1

Guest Q663368

Can someone in the know please tell me how the lights were used on the prototype please. I understand the white and red station pilot lights but a single top light would be a local passenger would it not ?. Most carried oil lamps anyway. Thanks in anticipation. 13240 is just idling away waiting for the road to move a rake of empty 16 tonners.

Just done my first 08 with the Protodrive and it's superb, the speaker is held in place with a large dollop of Black Tack.

Andrew,

I hope you don't mind me asking but I've just taken the plunge into O Gauge with the BR Blue TOPS version. Which speaker did you use with your ProtoDrive chip?

Many thanks

Chris

Although that does cost £25 to join but it did mean I also got a Terrier for the same price.

Yes that is true Mike. I was already a member and have been for a few years due to being a modeller with primarily N gauge interests. The membership gives you entry to the open day as well as other benefits. This was the main reason I became a member as the open day has many bargains including NQP items at very low prices. I bought my first O gauge loco for many years at the open day this year. A Terrier for 100 quid which just needed a handrail fixing to the front. N gauge locos were available for £35 NQP but many were OK after a little bit of maintenance work.

• Like 1

The 08 certainly looks the part but are the cranks to far out from the axleboxes?

On all the pictures of the model there seems to be a brass spacer between the axleboxes and the cranks.Compare the attached enlargements. IMG_20161127_092544.jpg IMG_20161127_093249.jpg

Strange really as looking again at the loco I can see no reason why they need to be spaced that far away. Edited by Elvinley

Guest Isambarduk

"... are the cranks to far out from the axleboxes?"

It certainly looks like it to me ... they are just going to have to go ... and, whilst I am at it, the cranks are going to have to be faced off flat and a centre drilled in ... and ...

Good grief, I wasn't going to do anything to this one!  Well maybe I'd add the guard irons and replace the skinny vacuum hoses and bags ... and line the balance weights up to be opposite the crank throws and ... Any more suggestions?

David

Edited by Isambarduk