The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Doctor Who - Series 9 & 2015 Christmas Special

Paul.Uni

Like the past few seasons, they seem to be trying to get the obligatory Dalek story out of the way early on.

Moffat has stated in the past that he would like to give the Daleks a rest as their constant defeats take away from the sense that they are supposed to be this incredibly powerful and evil race. "Stolen Earth" was the last episode that convincingly portrayed them as a threat. I wonder why he doesn't just put them to one side for a while? Does the BBC have an obligatory Dalek-quota for the show?

Like the past few seasons, they seem to be trying to get the obligatory Dalek story out of the way early on.

Moffat has stated in the past that he would like to give the Daleks a rest as their constant defeats take away from the sense that they are supposed to be this incredibly powerful and evil race. "Stolen Earth" was the last episode that convincingly portrayed them as a threat. I wonder why he doesn't just put them to one side for a while? Does the BBC have an obligatory Dalek-quota for the show?

I think they have to have the Daleks in at least one episode a season to keep the rights to use them 

• RMweb Premium

Because the public 'expects' them to feature at least once. You have to admit they sort have become a kind of uniquely British emblem in a SiFi world dominated by slick Alien life forms. OK they may have been improved with the series reboot - but....... to many there is something endearingly comic about an oversized pepper pot with a sink plunger and an egg whisk threatening the entire universe with destruction in the manner of a particularly grumpy parking warden / officious bureaucrat - even more so with the original ones that were thwarted in their plans by a set of stairs.

So while yes, the good  Doctor may well have defeated them so many times it makes a mockery of the "Ultimate powerful, evil villains of the Universe tag" it still is the case that not having the Doctor not thwarting their plans once a year just doesn't seem 'right' somehow.

• 1 month later...

The rock version of the theme performed by Peter Capaldi himself. Many people don't know that he played lead guitar in an early 1980s punk rock band called The Dreamboys. The band had a drummer named Craig Ferguson.

Cheers

David

I thought that (so far) this season has been light years ahead of last year. I can only concluded that the fantasy nonsense last year was due to some internal BBC politics ("make the show more accessible...") and that normal service has been resumed. 

Plus a whole generation of Children will be mentally scarred by the sight of Davros on the floor without his chair.....  :crazy:

most of season 8 had been written down before Matt smith had said he was leaving. I think there was only about 3 episodes left to write when he told steven Moffat. Hence why it had such a varying tone. And steven moffats attitude is that writing for one doctor is the same as writing for another. He learned his lesson this year which is why season 9 feels so different to last year. As it's been tailor made for the twelfth doctor. This season has made the twelfth my favourite doctor after the war doctor and the fourth doctor.

Big james

"The only other chair on Skaro" has to be the best joke in the history of the show.

Cheers

David

But there should be lots of chairs left over that the Thals, Kaleds, and Mutos no longer need... (see Genesis of the Daleks) :jester:

Of course, the Daleks may have left some bits out when they rebuilt Skaro after it was destroyed (see Remembrance of the Daleks and/or the Time War) :dontknow:

Any series that doesn't include Daleks would be as interesting as our layouts in a power cut !

post-20610-0-56311500-1444762140.jpg

This particular Dalek 'materialised' at Arley during our 'Beach Weekend' a couple of years ago, he proved to be brilliant as station train despatcher, everything departed on time without question !

Regards to all...

Bob (aka Davros)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been enjoying this series but what the heck was that all about last night? I assumed part 2 was next week to explain/finish the story but evidently not.

Gareth

I really don't know - but the fact that I fell asleep through most of it might not have helped my understanding.  I have a  lot of time for Mark Gatiss but that was, I think, his worst effort ever and not helped by the now standard BBC trick of saving money on lighting, if you're an insomniac I recommend watching this on BBCplayer for an early cure. 

Quick to criticise, and rightly so (I was confused from start to finish). But on the flip side, I have to say that the 2 episodes previous to it were spectacular in my mind.

Regards,
Matt

Synopsis for the final two episodes, 'Heaven Sent' and 'Hell Bent', have been released.

'Heaven Sent' 28th November 8:05pm (55 minutes) http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2015/48/doctor-who

'Hell Bent' 5th December 8:00pm (65 minutes) http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2015/49/doctorwho

I get the feeling that this weeks episode, 'Face The Raven', will lead into these two episodes, much like 'Utopia' and 'Turn Left' led into the final two parters in series 3 and 4

Archived