RMweb

The Patiala State Monorail Trainways

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

I have a cheap Hornby 0-4-0 loco. Having taken the body off, I've realised that if I take the wheels off the r/h side, push the axles through a little bit, then put the wheels on the l/h, face to face, I should be able to used the existing motor & worm.

The motor will be hidden by the the extended water tank.

I might need a small collar on the non-driven axle, to stop it from falling out.

I might also be able to drill through the wheel backs to allow the pins for the connecting rod to be reattached.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am thinking that you are not understanding me. Reed switches will be a perfect solution - today, the PSMT; tomorrow, the World !

BWAH Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ........

Bwah, ha ha haaaaa.

( checks over shoulder for men wearing white coats in a tuk-tuk...)

• 2 weeks later...

Only just come across this, Stubby. Good luck with it, I'm sure it will be a go'er, and I'm also sure some modern (and ancient) "OHL free" tram systems utilize the 'energize when over the bit we're on' system.

Brian.

Edited by Brian Harrap

Stu, here are some photos I took in February 2012:

attachicon.gif20120226 059 Patiala State Monorail Trainways at National Railway Museum, Delhi.jpg

attachicon.gif20120226 060 Patiala State Monorail Trainways at National Railway Museum, Delhi.jpg

attachicon.gif20120226 061 Patiala State Monorail Trainways coach at National Railway Museum, Delhi.jpg

There was no loco to be seen anywhere and the coach looked as though it would fall apart if anyone tried to move it

Good luck!

Like the trackwork with road wheel paving either side. Would love to see the turntable - will Mr Stubby incorporate one I wonder. B

• RMweb Gold

Not in Phase 1. This will be a simple loop, just to prove the concept. Further phases may incorporate points, lines through markets and further stock.

A turntable was not on the agenda, I say 'was'....

• RMweb Gold

You may have noticed the glacial progress on this layout over the past few months.

As the SWAG party is now less than 2 months away, I suppose I ought to get started.

The plan this weekend is to build the baseboards, a radical design of my own warped thinking. Next will be track laying & wiring, conjointly with loco and stock building.

Which should just leave the scenics to finish everything off.

Simple, really.

Edit to add that the generous offer of baseboards by Indomitable026 has not been dismissed - poor logistics on my part have meant a change of plan and these boards will be used later this year for Cubert.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well, baseboard building was a complete disaster.

The previous baseboard I built ( and discarded) for Shepherds was worse than I remember and was unsuitable.

Plan C is to use two 4 x 2 sheets of 18mm ply, with the track bed cut out in two large arcs, raised up by some 1" x 1" battens.

• RMweb Gold

I've got an almost proper job, home built BB 4 X 3 that you can have for nowt as I don't think I can get it out if the loft.

Phil

Sir, that is extremely generous of you. Notwithstanding that inability to extract the baseboard from your loft, nor that you are much further from me than the other baseboards previously donated to this project, which themselves are currently logistically out of reach, I feel I can only accept your kind and wonderful offer, with the proviso of I am unable to collect said board for the reasons given in the comments I made some momments ago.

• RMweb Gold

Sir, that is extremely generous of you. Notwithstanding that inability to extract the baseboard from your loft, nor that you are much further from me than the other baseboards previously donated to this project, which themselves are currently logistically out of reach, I feel I can only accept your kind and wonderful offer, with the proviso of I am unable to collect said board for the reasons given in the comments I made some momments ago.

Surely a duck of Dr Quaque's capabilities could find a way to convert the baseboard into a series of smaller components that will fit in a standard envelope, send it to you in deepest Kernow, you just add water and hey presto, instant baseboard!

• RMweb Gold

I fear part of the issue with the baseboard was to do with water, the 6mm ply was sold as slightly water damaged - serves me right for being a cheapskate.

So, Plan C.

This is quick rough sketch of how the board will be cut - I had fully intended to purchase and cut this today, but apparently there were other things more important...

post-7025-0-51991200-1456674572_thumb.gif

So purchasing will take place tomorrow and cutting hopefully one dry evening during the week.

There will be a supporting frame, though this might just consist of corner and end pieces, with a 6mm plywood outer fascia high enough to match the contours.  Legs will be those from Shepherds, plugged into suitable slots on the underside.

In my mind, it all works out perfectly...

• 2 weeks later...