Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Thanks neighbour :D

Don't think I have ever seen it before. Would make an interesting addition to a layout.

Cheers

steve

You're welcome Steve. Saw you walk past earlier this morning, getting your daily exercise!:D

• Like 1

On the basis of the similar number, and rear, I'm assuming that is a classmate that is ahead of 69888.

If so, for those that worry and debate about the correct buffer height, interesting to see the variance between the two. Not knowing of course whether there was an intentional height difference between front and rear buffers, nor what weight may have been removed from one, nor the state of the springs.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2015 at 11:19, micknich2003 said:

A better signalling and layout plan of Bridlington South.

post-702-0-63555100-1442744123_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-71880900-1442744148_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-07777200-1442744169_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-39198400-1442744203_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-69384900-1442744228_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting these diagrams. Something puzzles me which you may be able to help with. 

A daily movement for the trip trains using the coal yard was , after running round in the sidings, to propel in the wrong direction through Platform 5 under control of Quay box (acceptance lever). I can't see a signal for this movement on the plan as No58 seems to apply to the middle siding. After the resignalling of 1973 there was/is a post signal after the down excursion meets the up main reading to Platform 6 with a shunt arm for calling on and two dolls (originally for 1 and 2, now for 4 and 5) 

Any thoughts most welcome

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, Mick, for the photo’ of Nafferton which is most interesting, especially the lack of trees and bushes on the lineside. 
Tonight I have, again from ricsrailpics, on Flickr, a photo’ of Carnaby from, again the 30th December, 1965 - clearly photo’s were being taken of the line to Scarborough from Hull.

3715663835_65bd48b9e1_4k.jpgCarnaby Station and signal box. 30 December 1965 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick, for those excellent photo’s. Tonight I have a pic by ricsrailpics from Flickr, of a K3/2 61847, at Bridlington, on the 16th August, 1952, on a train to Filey Holiday Camp. 

2986576664_008f039380_6k.jpgClass K3/2 61847. Bridlington on Filey (Butlins Camp) train. 16 August 1952 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, I have another photo’, by Syd Young, from Flickr, and it shows 31423,  departing Hull Paragon, on a service to Leeds, on the 24th April, 1984.

26855715148_52d21319ef_b.jpg31423 Hull Paragon by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To insert the station name.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Another photo’ I’ve found, this evening, is a bit of a mystery, and perhaps someone can give some information about it. It’s from John Law, on Flickr. It shows two trains at Hornsea Town station, but there are no other details. I can see that the train on the left has a ‘Hornsea Express’ headboard.

36104490632_5aa2adf46e_h.jpghornsea station photographer unknown for flickr by John Law, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, from Philip Wheldale, on Flickr, is a photo’, from the 20th March, 1984, of a class 47, 

47287, on a down train of six whiting works wagons, at Beverley, Flemingate level crossing. 

39175323281_ed5d43569d_b.jpg47287 by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

On 23/05/2020 at 21:41, Market65 said:

Another photo’ I’ve found, this evening, is a bit of a mystery, and perhaps someone can give some information about it. It’s from John Law, on Flickr. It shows two trains at Hornsea Town station, but there are no other details. I can see that the train on the left has a ‘Hornsea Express’ headboard.

36104490632_5aa2adf46e_h.jpghornsea station photographer unknown for flickr by John Law, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Rob,

All I can tell is that the locomotive on the left is a NER 0-6-0, so must (?) be a Class C (J21). The train on the right looks to be push pull fitted. I'm guessing there's a BTP (G6) or Class O (G5) between two carriages.

Please treat my guesses with caution!

Regards,

Roy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Firstly, many thanks, Roy, for trying to indentify the trains in the photo’ of Hornsea Town. I agree, the one on the left looks  ery much like a class C, LNER/BR class J21. But, I don’t recall hearing of push pull trains being used on the Hull to Hornsea service before. On closer inspection of the photo’, the carriage on the rear of that train on the right has two vertical oblong windows at each side, rather than the characteristic porthole windows of a driving carriage. It may well remain a mystery train. 
So, onto tonight’s photo’, which is a view of Springhead works, in about the early 1930’s. It’s from John Law, from Flickr. There are several classes of locomotives to be seen.

38187685631_3462bf2671_h.jpghumb - inside springhead works hull in 1930s by John Law, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 9

On 23/05/2020 at 21:41, Market65 said:

Best regards,

Rob.

Rob

I know this does not fit the time / year of your picture above, however it did trigger a memory and subsequently some questions of several years back.

I was born in Hessle and became a pram bound 'spotter' at quite a tender age. I remember being taken on a Sunday School outing during the mid '50s from Hessle to Hornsea.

My memory (if it's working correctly!) tells me that there were two trains and these came out ecs from Hull. The locos ran round using the up goods yard loop behind the up platform in Hessle station before crossing back over to the down lines and then setting back into the down platform. The 1st train loaded and departed and the 2nd train then completed the same movements. 

I don't remember anything more about the trip other than the locos being turned on the table at Hornsea.

Does anyone else remember these workings or know anything about them? (Maybe micknich2003 has something in his collection?)

Thanks in advance

Best Wishes

14 hours ago, Market65 said:

So, onto tonight’s photo’, which is a view of Springhead works, in about the early 1930’s. It’s from John Law, from Flickr. There are several classes of locomotives to be seen.

38187685631_3462bf2671_h.jpg

I was interested to see the quantity of coal in the tenders and bunkers. I would have assumed that locomotives receiving works attention would be defuelled beforehand. Not only has that not been done, but the tender in the middle and the bunker on the right seem to be near capacity.

The tank loco on the right also seems to be off its wheels, so removing a few tons of coal from the bunker prior to lifting it would have made sense to me.

Was leaving coal (and perhaps water) in/on the locomotive normal practice in steam days?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, everyone, this evening we have a photo’, by Syd Young, on Flickr, of what was a common sight. It’s taken at Cottingham, and shows a two car class 101 DMU, on a Hull to Scarborough service in snowy conditions, on the 11th February, 1983. E50204 is leading the unit.

40499703304_e85450fe94_b.jpgE50204 Cottingham by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 6

I love photos of the inside of railway works. Probably because I visited the Plant at an early age and was really taken with the atmosphere. I still dream about being there ocasionally now, 60 years later.

On that Springhead photo, I was surprised to see how much coal was in the tenders and bunkers of the locos actually undergoing repair. I don't think I've ever seen similar.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. I can’t answer about all that coal in the tenders and bunkers of those engines in Springhead works, so I’ll get on with this evening’s photo, which is of a class D20, 62395, at Bridlington, in March, 1952. The photo’ is by ricsrailpics, of Flickr, and is a particularly fine composition.

3031002133_79cd9f41d0_6k.jpgClass D20 4-4-0 no.(6)2395. Bridlington. March 1952 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10