Hornby LNER Teak Coaches

DWS

• RMweb Premium

Thanks - I couldn't find the list that was posted in the Hornby 2016 thread without going through it page by page and life is too short. As it happens they'll end up being '2017' anyway...

No they have been withdrawn completely. So unless more are announced for next year then it will be back to trawling eBay.

Merry Christmas, Ryan

No they have been withdrawn completely. So unless more are announced for next year then it will be back to trawling eBay.

Merry Christmas, Ryan

So which ones are withdrawn then - you said it was the Crimson & Cream ones but are you now saying the teak ones are withdrawn too?

• RMweb Premium

The crimson and cream 61' 6" were the only ones announced for 2016. There weren't any Teak 61' 6" at all, only the Thompson Non Corridor teaks. So unless there are some 61' 6" Teaks announced in Jan for the 2017 range then we won't see any new ones.

Edited by Hilux5972

The crimson and cream 61' 6" were the only ones announced for 2016. There weren't any Teak 61' 6" at all, only the Thompson Non Corridor teaks. So unless there are some 61' 6" Teaks announced in Jan for the 2017 range then we won't see any new ones.

Sorry - my mistake. I mis-read the list in the Hornby Handbook; I do wish people who should know better would stop referring to gangwayed coaches as 'corridor' when only some are. There are side corridor non-gangwayed coaches (e.g. the Gresley CL and TL and the Thompson CL)  and plenty of different types of open gangwayed coaches.

... I do wish people who should know better would stop referring to gangwayed coaches as 'corridor' when only some are. There are side corridor non-gangwayed coaches (e.g. the Gresley CL and TL and the Thompson CL) and plenty of different types of open gangwayed coaches.

I wonder what the "K" stands for in, say, BTK or CK...? :)

Paul

The big problem Hornby and other makers have is the selling price.  

They are asking £50 for a Gresley Suburban (the current version is very poor with dire Pine effect so called Teak graining) . They would probably ask a minimum of £60 to £65  for a Corridor Coach the last issue of those also had the dire Teak graining as well.

How many can they sell for that price? , there are plenty on Ebay for less. Hornby know that and probably wont take the risk of being stuck with non sales. They also need to up their game on the Teak graining  on the Thompson Suburbans when they are produced.

• RMweb Premium

The teak effect applied to the original and "A suffix" Gresley suburban releases was very good in my opinion.  

Mick, are you saying that the recent Hornby Gresley Suburbans have a teak effect more like the concession BR livery grey roof end vestibule teak stock ?  (which I agree was much less good that their originals)  Tom

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Paul

"K" indicates a gangwayed vehicle (i.e. a coach with a connection to an adjacent coach).  Hence BTK = Brake Third Gangwayed and CK = Composite Gangwayed.  A non-gangwayed Brake Third ("suburban" type in model railway speak) would be described as BT.

Sometimes people refer to them as "corridor" vehicles but as Pint has pointed out, not all corridor vehicles have gangways.

"K" indicates a gangwayed vehicle (i.e. a coach with a connection to an adjacent coach). Hence BTK = Brake Third Gangwayed and CK = Composite Gangwayed. A non-gangwayed Brake Third ("suburban" type in model railway speak) would be described as BT.

Sometimes people refer to them as "corridor" vehicles but as Pint has pointed out, not all corridor vehicles have gangways.

And, of course, "gangwayed" is spelt with a K... No, wait a minute. :)

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Paul

Well I must admit I tend to think of it as K for "Korridor" and assume it was used for this feature rather than C in the coding system as C had already been used to indicate a Composite, but as has been pointed out this isn't strictly correct as not all corridor coaches have gangways.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought K stood for "Korridor" too (with the exception of RK and RKB where it meant "kitchen") and K was used because C denoted "Composite".  So that matches what 31A says above.

I am not aware there is anything to specifically indicate gangwayed coaches though.  There were, for example, RC, CK, CO and SLC all with gangways.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps K was only used where it was necessary to distinguish between gangwayed and non gangwayed coaches which otherwise had the same accomodation?  For example you could have a BTK and a BT, or a TK and a T, but I've never heard of non gangwayed restaurant or sleeping cars!

The teak effect applied to the original and "A suffix" Gresley suburban releases was very good in my opinion.  

Mick, are you saying that the recent Hornby Gresley Suburbans have a teak effect more like the concession BR livery grey roof end vestibule teak stock ?  (which I agree was much less good that their originals)  Tom

Yes just look at the Hornby website pictures . 

Paul

The BR designations were derived from those used by the LNER, which in turn were based in part on those developed by the GER.

As you will see from the extract from the LNER Coaching Rolling Stock Instructions copied below, 'K' may stand for 'corridor' but not for any connection between adjacent carriages, that is signified by 'V' for 'vestibule', which BR changed to 'G' for 'gangway'. Note for example in the table that K is used in the codes for a non-vestibuled (non-gangwayed) lavatory third and lavatory brake third.

post-1278-0-86564800-1482870921_thumb.jpg

Oh - and I almost forgot - note also the use of 'P' for the, according to one person, non-existent 'Pigeon' vans allegedly used only for transporting fruits :stinker:

Edited by Pint of Adnams
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

R4170 and the relevant A-E re-releases are corridor composite brake coaches but that's the closest they do unfortunately.

R4170 Corridor Composite Brake

R4171 Corridor 1st Class

R4172 Corridor 3rd Class

R4173 Buffet

R4174 Sleeper

R4178-R4182 were the BR Crimson and cream versions.

Edited by Hilux5972

• 4 months later...

Do Hornby do a teak corridor composite in their quality coach range.

Best option for that is to use one of the MJT range of sides - there is a composite available - and apply it to one of the existing coaches. The price of teak ones would make ones eyes water if you then sawed it up to fit the etched side, but the crimson/cream ones are much cheaper and, barring the sleeper with the different roof arrangements, not too hard to do (I think somebody had a go in a magazine around Feb 2006 - Model rail?). Anyway, cut off most of the sides, leaving enough for you to glue the new sides on, install sides, repaint. Or roughly that..

(I have sides on order to do an open third and restaurant first, so I'll let you know how I get on...) 

Best,

Marcus 

• RMweb Premium

Paul

Just as the letters "WJR" on a signalling relay specifically refers to a "Points Timing Relay" or "HGE" specifically refers to a "Yellow Signal Lamp", the letters describing railway carriages are NOT abbreviations - they are in effect a special railway 'code' - designed to suit the purpose of Railway employees only.

As someone told me once, there is the 'Right way', the 'Wrong Way' and the 'Rail Way' which exists outside of the previous two ;)

Edited by phil-b259