Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Talking to a contact at Reading Museum recently (when I lent them my model of HP1 - which apparently currently shares a display case with HP2's bell and works plates, not far from a pre-production photo of the Hornby Peckett!), it seems Reading Museum would still like it to come to Reading and my friends and I would certainly still be interested in being involved in that. However first we would need to persuade the current owner to part with it for much less than it was bought for, and then we would need to re-start the whole process of getting a condition report done, finding somewhere for it to go, and persuading the Council to pay for the restoration work (which will doubtless cost a lot more than we were quoted first time round as its condition will not have improved).

Luckily that model by Hornby won't contain any of such stuff, hopefully...

Quite happy to read anything about that desired Hornby model again. ☺

Cheers

Dirk

It would be nice if Hornby produced a fireless loco to keep the Peckett company. I really wouldn't be able to resist opening my wallet then!

• Like 1

It would make a lovely set of things. A fireless loco, a stationary boiler, bunker for the coal, a wagon to push around. Actually that would be really nice... could be a lovely little layout. Say with a peckett and an exchange siding.... wonder if you could get a sound file of the "whufing" sound produced by the fireless.... Uum thats a distraction from work for 5 minutes!

I recall one of the many DVD's or even a video that I own or owned had a a film of a blue fireless loco charging up and running around. Still sounds like a nice little layout.  

• RMweb Gold

I hardly think it's likely to turn up, so don't need to worry about such things!

Asbestos was a common ingredient in boiler lagging and a loco that hasn't been overhauled since its use became prohibited must be presumed to contain it unless and until it can be established that it doesn't.

Use of asbestos for some purposes in the construction industry was not finally banned until around 1990.

I don't know when it ceased to be used on locomotives but BR were still lining Mk2 coach bodies with the stuff in the late 1960s.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I thought they would all be fireless being 12v and all!!

It would make a lovely set of things. A fireless loco, a stationary boiler, bunker for the coal, a wagon to push around. Actually that would be really nice... could be a lovely little layout. Say with a peckett and an exchange siding.... wonder if you could get a sound file of the "whufing" sound produced by the fireless.... Uum thats a distraction from work for 5 minutes!

I recall one of the many DVD's or even a video that I own or owned had a a film of a blue fireless loco charging up and running around. Still sounds like a nice little layout.  

I was trying to find a drawing of them a while ago with the idea of scratchbuilding an O gauge one, but it's dropped off my to-do list now.

With Doug's suggestion it could be run on compressed air supplied by the stationary boiler! Although it only needs a bit of factory wall and a leaky pipe, as I posted last time we discussed the fireless locos (on page 11).

post-7091-0-92546400-1460379824.jpg

Edited by BG John

• RMweb Premium

Luckily that model by Hornby won't contain any of such stuff, hopefully...

Quite happy to read anything about that desired Hornby model again. ☺

Cheers

Dirk

I'm pretty certain that the early Tri-ang 'puffing' smoke generators contained asbestos, as the wick for smoke oil.

I recall that the rectangular cast oil reservoirs were stuffed with a grey, fluffy material.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

That trackwork looks pretty unique. Looks to be a three way with an interlaced facing point on the left hand road. Never seen that before.

I took the photo, on my Mum's Box Brownie probably, about 47 years ago, and until I posted it on here I'd never seen it clearly, as the original print is pretty awful. I hadn't realised it would come up so well with a bit of editing. So I'd never really noticed the track! Maybe I need to buy a Peckett so I can build some track like it!

• Like 2

I was trying to find a drawing of them a while ago with the idea of scratchbuilding an O gauge one, but it's dropped off my to-do list now.

With Doug's suggestion it could be run on compressed air supplied by the stationary boiler! Although it only needs a bit of factory wall and a leaky pipe, as I posted last time we discussed the fireless locos (on page 11).

post-7091-0-92546400-1460379824.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photo, John - not one I'd seen before (obviously!).

Somewhere I may still have the drawings of HP1 I used to make my 00 model. If they turn up (and having moved house twice since then I have no idea where they are, if they have survived) I'll pass them on. Worst case scenario - when the Museum give me my model back in February, I'll scan it in for you!

Compressed air models of fireless locos are definitely possible - the Sittingbourne & Kemsley have a compressed air model of 'Unique'. We even considered hooking HP1 up to a compressed air supply at one stage when we were weighing up different options for it.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing the photo, John - not one I'd seen before (obviously!).

Somewhere I may still have the drawings of HP1 I used to make my 00 model. If they turn up (and having moved house twice since then I have no idea where they are, if they have survived) I'll pass them on. Worst case scenario - when the Museum give me my model back in February, I'll scan it in for you!

Compressed air models of fireless locos are definitely possible - the Sittingbourne & Kemsley have a compressed air model of 'Unique'. We even considered hooking HP1 up to a compressed air supply at one stage when we were weighing up different options for it.

It wasn't a very good day when I had a chance to drive it, and the camera didn't help, which is a shame. If you find the drawing, a copy would be great. A fireless loco of some sort would fit in nicely on my O gauge "Cheapside Yard". I was thinking it would be a good place to start scratchbuilding locos, as it has less bits on it than a conventional steam loco.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It wasn't a very good day when I had a chance to drive it, and the camera didn't help, which is a shame. If you find the drawing, a copy would be great. A fireless loco of some sort would fit in nicely on my O gauge "Cheapside Yard". I was thinking it would be a good place to start scratchbuilding locos, as it has less bits on it than a conventional steam loco.

Someone built a fireless loco model based on the Airfix/Dapol Pug kit. He simply reversed the frames and pistons so that they were under the cab and replaced the boiler with a modified tank wagon body. The tank wagon body was one with the 'dome' filler caps so he left it as it was. It was only a static model but it looked the part.

Someone built a fireless loco model based on the Airfix/Dapol Pug kit. He simply reversed the frames and pistons so that they were under the cab and replaced the boiler with a modified tank wagon body. The tank wagon body was one with the 'dome' filler caps so he left it as it was. It was only a static model but it looked the part.

Now that Jenny Emily has pointed out the interesting track in my photo, I need a working model! I think I'd have to built the track in P4, or maybe EM, to get it to work properly, so it then becomes a serious project. It's getting more tempting!

• Like 2

I seem to recall such a project many years ago in something like Airfix magazine or, more probably, Scale Trains. As you say Phil, it certainly captured the look.

• Like 1

Grrrrrrrrr! You've got me wasting time layout planning now. As if I didn't have enough to do already, and I'm supposed to be starting a serious economy drive :nono:. The 3-way turnout with interlaced one as in the photo is in the front right. The three sidings are a 5-3-3 Inglenook, there's a sector plate inside the building at back left, and a cassette inside the building at back right. Now I need Hornby to delay the Peckett by a couple of years!

post-7091-0-20258600-1470220275_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Grrrrrrrrr! You've got me wasting time layout planning now. As if I didn't have enough to do already, and I'm supposed to be starting a serious economy drive :nono:. The 3-way turnout with interlaced one as in the photo is in the front right. The three sidings are a 5-3-3 Inglenook, there's a sector plate inside the building at back left, and a cassette inside the building at back right. Now I need Hornby to delay the Peckett by a couple of years!

attachicon.gifsnapshot.jpg

There you go, just the sort of thing I was thinking of to run the H&P Peckett on!

So how many layouts are in the planning stage now?  :locomotive:

• Like 1

There you go, just the sort of thing I was thinking of to run the H&P Peckett on!

So how many layouts are in the planning stage now?  :locomotive:

It was two, but now it looks like three. Although one is actually planned, but which version I build depends on the space available, while another is planned in my head and just needs laying out full size. There's a very long term idea gradually forming too, but it's not a plan yet, as it also depends on available space, and if I develop the skills to make it practical. But I'm already working on five layouts!

The H&P layout included a number of three way points as far as I can gather off the plan but one of them also included a Barry slip.

I could probably shorten my plan with a couple of Barry slips, but it was just a first attempt knocked up in 10 minutes.

The one in my photo looks rather like a Barry slip.

Edited by BG John

Looking at the maintenance sheet it looks like it will be fitted with 2 mm(?) straight knurled axles, running in externally grooved phosphor bronze bearings. The grooves around the circumference of the bearings appear as if they will sit over mating flanges cast into the axle recesses in the chassis block. The bearings etc appear to be retained fairly conventionally by a keeper plate that includes a standard Hornby pick up sandwich. (Part 7) 

Plunger assembly to connect the keeper plate through the chassis so no wires to unsolder at this point.

If the wheel centres follow Hornby recent practice (on the three that I have bought) the wheel centres will be plastic with an integral cosmetic centre cap representing the axle. There will be a 0.5mm hole in the wheel centre. EM looks like a simple pull out and spacers and maybe some thinning of the spacing washers on the coupling rods. There may be a problem with the back of the crosshead as the Con rod doesn't look like it's recessed into the rear.

For P4? (I have a plan...) But I didn't plan on buying a Peckett.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Looking at the maintenance sheet it looks like it will be fitted with 2 mm(?) straight knurled axles, running in externally grooved phosphor bronze bearings. The grooves around the circumference of the bearings appear as if they will sit over mating flanges cast into the axle recesses in the chassis block. The bearings etc appear to be retained fairly conventionally by a keeper plate that includes a standard Hornby pick up sandwich. (Part 7) 

Plunger assembly to connect the keeper plate through the chassis so no wires to unsolder at this point.

If the wheel centres follow Hornby recent practice (on the three that I have bought) the wheel centres will be plastic with an integral cosmetic centre cap representing the axle. There will be a 0.5mm hole in the wheel centre. EM looks like a simple pull out and spacers and maybe some thinning of the spacing washers on the coupling rods. There may be a problem with the back of the crosshead as the Con rod doesn't look like it's recessed into the rear.

For P4? (I have a plan...) But I didn't plan on buying a Peckett.

P

Thanks Porcy. I've found the maintenance sheet. I think if this happens it's most likely to be EM, so doesn't look like a problem.

http://www.Hornby.com/us-en/downloads/view/download/item/515

I'm getting a bit worried now, as the H&P Peckett is getting harder to resist! Does anyone familiar with modern Hornby locos know how easy they are to convert to EM or P4?

Way back near the beginning of this thread Chris Gibbon of High Level mentioned that he would be interested in etching a replacement chassis for EM/P4. Hopefully this plan is still in place but of course Chris will need to get some measurements from a sample engine and they're not available, yet.

Cheers,

David