Pawson's Prize Winning Pickles

kes

• RMweb Premium

Kes, if you need some stronger card for you buildings, why not cut up a box file?

You'll then have a boxfile layout!

Not forgetting with the bridge supports (post 18) you've already got the pizza layout!

Perhaps everyone with a layout small enough to go in their motorhome could get together and hold a model railway show on a campsite. The Caravan Club Site at Burrs would be ideal as its next to the East Lancs Railway.

Returning back to topic, I'm very impressed with your progress and minimal expenditure. Looking forward to seeing more.

My Dad actively encouraged us to get involved with the steam engines and meccano, and I can still remember steam powered gallopers we made, and a Mamod powered contraption using gears and shafts which would haul itself along.

Back to the layout, I have made another section of low relief building which also has to be removable of the layout can fold. This is many layers of mounting card, with a brick embossed skin glued on. The canopy is made from the rest of the bits left over from the Airfix canopy at the other end of the layout. The doors are scribed plastikard, and the flag stones the usual cereal packet.

The rest of the buildings at this end can be attached permanantly - once I have decided what form they should take. There will be posts and brackets to support the canopy.

DSCF0458.JPG

DSCF0459.JPG

DSCF0460.JPG

DSCF0461.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 9

I have made some more progress this week, and assembled the 4 bays of the northlight workshops out of mounting card and brick embossed plasticard. The bays are divided into two pairs, each set back by about 1cm so as to break up the rear wall. The window lintels and arches are the usual cereal packet glued on the front. I attached some stone embossed plasticard to the end wall, as a relief from all the brickwork. There is going to be a pair of wooden gate, modelled shut, in the far corner.

I am trying to maintain a visual "flow" to the scene, which should help disguise the short length of it. There may be card slates on one side, and some sort of glazed panel on the other, or I may just slate it all due to the restricted width available. The windows are some excellent laser-cut ones from "PurpleBob" on a well known internet auction site. I did not realise how difficult it was to cut embossed plasticard to a smooth curve! (above the windows).

DSCF0468.JPG

DSCF0469.JPG

DSCF0470.JPG

DSCF0471.JPG

DSCF0472.JPG

DSCF0473.JPG

DSCF0474.JPG

DSCF0475.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 10

I realised that before I did anything else, I needed to add the stone walls to the end of the layout, then add the infilled track, then I could make and add the wooden gates which will theoretically lead out of the yard!  So I did not get the roof slated yet. The yard surface is made by laminating layers of card together - should stop it warping. These are just below the rail level, so the tyre should always be in contact with the rail.

post-8779-0-06116200-1449666412.jpg

The end walls are some heavily moulded stone sheets I had in stock, but I cannot remember where I got them. The wooden end ply has had a section cut out and lowered so it will not be visible once the gates are hung in the gap between the pillars.

post-8779-0-92951300-1449666397.jpg

The van is being used to check flange clearances.

post-8779-0-16004600-1449666428.jpg

post-8779-0-51939200-1449666383.jpg

I have infilled an area large enough to get a lorry against the second siding, but will probably not do anymore so it does not take over the scene.

Next job is to cut up the lolly sticks into planks and make myself a couple of wooden gates.

• Like 6

I did some infill on the old Greater Windowledge, using layers of card, and topped it with Howard Scenics embossed card. It worked fine, however the infill between the tracks was planked.

I've looked at quite a bit of inlaid track recently, and it seems that the stone setts are laid to follow the curves, which makes it more challenging. I think Chaz' Dock Green thread would offer some inspiration.

It is certainly the case that you want the rails to end up marginally higher than the setts, or track cleaning becomes a challenge, and will spoil your scenic treatment. I found this, I had to keep painting the planks when my over-exuberant track cleaning sanded them!

Best

Simon

I spent today splitting lolly sticks in half with a sharp knife, and making the pair of gates which will lead into the yard. The hinges are more strips of cereal packet. The bolts etc will be made of wire.

post-8779-0-38692200-1449937511.jpg

post-8779-0-53343100-1449937499.jpg

The gates in the corner stop the scene looking like a dead end.

• Like 7

I spent today splitting lolly sticks in half with a sharp knife, and making the pair of gates which will lead into the yard. The hinges are more strips of cereal packet. The bolts etc will be made of wire.

attachicon.gifDSCF0482.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0481.JPG

The gates in the corner stop the scene looking like a dead end.

Coming along nicely.

After a walk down town and along the Whitby Piers, I made a start on slating the roof on the workshops. There is not much more "heavy" construction to go now, I need to concentrate on the clutter that makes up an industrial yard next. But that will probably be after Christmas, as I will have to fold it away until after the festivities have finished.

post-8779-0-72646200-1450018532.jpg

post-8779-0-93290700-1450018544.jpg

• Like 4

After a walk down town and along the Whitby Piers, I made a start on slating the roof on the workshops. There is not much more "heavy" construction to go now, I need to concentrate on the clutter that makes up an industrial yard next. But that will probably be after Christmas, as I will have to fold it away until after the festivities have finished.

attachicon.gifDSCF0484.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0483.JPG

Pack up for Christmas? Model railways and trainsets are the very essence of Christmas and have been for me since that first Triang-Hornby "Car-A-Belle" train set for Christmas 1965.

Guest Isambarduk

" Model railways and trainsets are the very essence of Christmas and have been for me since that first Triang-Hornby "Car-A-Belle" train set for Christmas 1965."

Just so, Chris! 
As  baby-boomer, it was 0 gauge clockwork for me - on the front room floor (never usually allowed in there and no carpet, just a large rug!) - and I have been in 0 gauge ever since, apart from a brief hiatus when my mother gave it all away to a jumble sale whilst I was at school.  I tell my 'tinplate story' story briefly in captioned pictures at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/TinplateHistory.htm :-)   David

Hi Kes,

Just stumbled upon this thread and it is inspirational stuff! I am a big fan of small layouts and love the trackplan you have gone with here, it looks to have plenty of operational interest and flexibility. I really do think that restrictive circumstances, in terms of space in this case, really do help with creativity and ingenuity - you've just got to think harder about the right solutions to problems. 

Anyway, I am really enjoying following your progress, so keep the updates coming!

David

• Like 1

Hi Kes,

Just stumbled upon this thread and it is inspirational stuff! I am a big fan of small layouts and love the trackplan you have gone with here, it looks to have plenty of operational interest and flexibility. I really do think that restrictive circumstances, in terms of space in this case, really do help with creativity and ingenuity - you've just got to think harder about the right solutions to problems. 

Anyway, I am really enjoying following your progress, so keep the updates coming!

David

Hi David, thanks for the kind comments. I worked out the trackplan by moving real o gauge locos and wagons around on the boards to see what was possible, before laying any track. In industrial locations, it is possible to use much tighter radius curves and points than we are used to, and they do not look out of place. Just don't try getting an A4 round the curves!

• Like 1

I have been looking at various corrugated plastic sheets with which to roof the canopy on the works. I then remembered what John and Paul at our club had told me about corrugated card. I found some with the right width to represent concrete/asbestos sheets as used in industry from about 1925. I soaked the top skin on the card, left it for a while, then gently peeled off the top layer to leave a corrugated structure. Once cut into suitably sized sheets, these were glued to the canopy trusses. Ridge tiles from card with a round ridge of cocktail stick was added, and the whole lot painted matt grey before distressing it with all sorts of grey/brown/black washes. It is not dirty enough yet, but I wanted to prove that it looked ok.

post-8779-0-21924000-1450355132.jpg

Bare card cut into sheets - these were the rejects

post-8779-0-97378200-1450355165.jpg

post-8779-0-25199800-1450355185.jpg

post-8779-0-79369800-1450355155.jpg

post-8779-0-85929000-1450355145.jpg

• Like 6