Pawson's Prize Winning Pickles

kes

I have been making packing cases out of my favourite materials - cereal packet and lolly sticks. The card is scribed to represent planking, then scored and folded up into a box. The baulks under the case are made of split lolly stick, and the strapping around the case made from more card. The whole lot was then given a thin wash of cream/grey/brown paint which soaks into the card.  I think I have a scene reminiscent of the final shots in "Raiders of the lost ark" !

Total cost less than a £1 for 13 packing cases. And I still have a lot of glue and paint left, (and a LOT of card). 

DSCF0618.JPG

DSCF0619.JPG

DSCF0620.JPG

DSCF0621.JPG

DSCF0622.JPG

DSCF0623.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 11

I have been making packing cases out of my favourite materials - cereal packet and lolly sticks. The card is scribed to represent planking, then scored and folded up into a box. The baulks under the case are made of split lolly stick, and the strapping around the case made from more card. The whole lot was then given a thin wash of cream/grey/brown paint which soaks into the card.  I think I have a scene reminiscent of the final shots in "Raiders of the lost ark" !

attachicon.gifDSCF0618.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0619.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0620.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0621.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0623.JPG

Total cost less than a £1 for 13 packing cases. And I still have a lot of glue and paint left, (and a LOT of card). 

Very nice. Just need some stencilling to finish them off.

• Like 1

Well, yesterday was warm enough to get the airbrush out and filth-up the ballast. It is beginning to look properly industrial now.

attachicon.gifDSCF0608.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0610.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0611.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0612.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0613.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0614.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0615.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0617.JPG

I now need to start making the signage on the computer and add these to the buildings before I weather them. The oil tank needs pipes and ladders, and the workshop roof needs a few simple metal chimney stacks poking through it. I also need to make a selection of wooden crates to sit on the loading docks, and maybe a yard crane on the far loading dock.

This is looking very good. It is all quite inspirational.

It looks like you have a bit of track alignment problem on one of the points. Pictures 4 and 7 show it.

Hi Peter, it is a slight misalignment at the board joint which does not affect the running, and it is exaggerated by the low angle of the photography. Many private yards had track which one would not like to walk along, let alone shunt a wagon along!

Yep Chris - They will have the logo of the company on them, and possibly an upside down "This Way Up" on one or two!

I find all of the markings warning against doing this or that an invitation to disobey them. I have discovered that photographs do bend contrary to the statement on card backed envelopes that they don't.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been spreading packing cases and loads around the layout and adding a few figures and the odd dog to see how it looks.

The manager and foreman discussing the next shipment.

"This box next guv?"

I am now making more removable loads for the open wagons. I have some interesting gear wheels out of an old printer which will be mounted in a rocket-stick cradle.

DSCF0626.JPG

DSCF0628.JPG

DSCF0629.JPG

DSCF0630.JPG

DSCF0631.JPG

DSCF0632.JPG

DSCF0633.JPG

DSCF0634.JPG

DSCF0635.JPG

DSCF0636.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 5

Kes

Love the packing cases, and the dog.

If I may, I feel it's a bit too clean & tidy (particularly the "put it in the van" photo) and I suspect a few different cases would help the atmosphere. I know it's difficult to achieve a balance between absurdly grotty, and falsely clean, and I have no instant fix!

Best

Simon

Hi Simon - once I have the layout of figures and accessories sorted, it will be getting well dirtied using the airbrush! There are many more pipes, bottles, jars etc to be added yet. It is quiet good fun moving things around and then looking through the camera lens to see what it REALLY looks like. I would recommend everyone tries this approach using a camera and then studying the photos.

Kevin.

I collected a few of Ten Commandments' wagon loads whilst at York on Saturday. These are cast in plaster, and take thinned water colour or acrylic paint well. The entrance to the sector plate is now shielded either side with a black paper concertina, rather like a corridor connection, so you can only see the line through the sector plate from under the bridge. 

• Like 2

Kes

If I've correctly understood, the black paper concertinas are view blockers - an alternative technique I have seen at shows is to use a ribbon curtain made from black bin liner - I don't know if this would be helpful for your layout.

best

Simon

I have now painted the Ten Commandments plaster loads and placed them in wagons and around the layout to gauge the effect. I have also printed some signage on the computer, stuck it in place and varnished it. Again, once complete there will be much weathering added. The downpipes have been added from aluminium wire and paper joints

DSCF0640.JPG

DSCF0641.JPG

DSCF0642.JPG

DSCF0643.JPG

DSCF0644.JPG

DSCF0645.JPG

DSCF0646.JPG

DSCF0647.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 8

Hi Chris - it was an equal mix of Vallejo Model Color acrylic 70.984 flat brown and 70.992 neutral grey thinned down with water and brushed on, allowing each thin layer to soak in and dry - a few minutes at a time until it looked right. The banding was then drawn on using a thin permanent marker. I am a learner where it comes to using acrylics.

Kevin.

Hi Kes,

As I have said before, I just love the whole concept of this layout and how it is developing! Keep the updates coming.

I am sure you have mentioned this somewhere and I have missed it but... how long is the sector plate?

Thanks,

David

Guest Isambarduk

Like it, well done ... but I can't help thinking that your 10 ton dropside is heavily overloaded with those three massive cast gears on board?    David

Hi David (South-Tyne), the sector plate is 24" long and designed to hold a 0-4-0t tank or diesel and 3 wagons. David (IBK) - as regards to the gears - they are made of an Nickel/Molybdenum alloy used by Rolls Royce called Nimonic - very hard and very light!

Kevin.

• Like 1

Like it, well done ... but I can't help thinking that your 10 ton dropside is heavily overloaded with those three massive cast gears on board?    David

Painted that colour they could be wooden casting masters!

That aside, loving the layout and impressed with progress.

Peter

Just asking as I have'nt bothered to check, but were casks/barrels really loaded like that (i.e. on their sides) in railway wagons? Seems they'd be difficult to secure that way, & even if chocked somehow, prone to working loose & rolling around.

Have to agree with others though, your painting of them is superb!

Well, it seems that as long as the bung hole is uppermost...

post-20369-0-90882600-1459585022_thumb.jpeg

And they are securely wedged & tied down.

That excerpt is from modern "model regulations" on transport of goods (GIYF!) and there are likely to be other regulations relating to the tying down of barrels in railway and other vehicles. I'm sure the railway companies had their own rules.

Best

Simon