St Ives - 1873 ?

Penlan

On one of my Facebook groups - Social - this photo has been posted by a local.
I don't have much in the way of Cornish books to hand, but I don't recall seeing this photo before.

The lettering appears to be in Biro, thus recent.

If I have infringed somebody's Copyright, my apologies, but the Local has not replied to my private messages seeking clarification of the origin of the photo.

However what I did find interesting is the break lever arrangement of the left hand wagon, presumably the lever catch is bent, and the, presumably, top end of the 'W' iron fixing to the outside of the solebar on the other wagon.

post-6979-0-56165100-1444223059.jpg

post-6979-0-97307200-1444223052.jpg

Mike, I have some (long ago) PC Models P4 wheels that have rims like that.... Great for photo shoots but hopeless on EM track.

Of course the 'W' iron's would, or should be, for Broad Gauge..... this being the last line to be built new as BG.

I forwarded the link to this topic to the Broad Gauge Society eGroup, and there have been a couple of comments so far.The photo was taken when the line was under construction, so they may well be contractor's wagons. It's not clear if they're broad or standard gauge. Are the men in the photo navvies?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It really is an intriguing photo. I've looked through the GW wagons bible and have found nothing that looks like the wagons in the photo. I might have missed somehting of course, but I think as  has been suggested that they must be particular for the job.

There isn't any visible "To carry" lettering, which might add to the theory that these are not ordinary running wagons. It could be hidden behind the gang of course, although at that time it was usually written at the left end.

The St Ives line was approved by parliament in 1873, and opened in 1877. The third rail was laid in 1888, so if the date is correct it's not to do with laying the extra rail. The small GWR lettering on the left hand side of wagons wasn't changed to the right hand side until 1894, so that doesn't help determine the date. 

• RMweb Gold

It now dawns upon me that July 7 1873 seems to be the date the St Ives Railway was approved in parliament. Sorry if everyone else had already caught on to that.

Udklip.gif

Source: http://www.forgottenbooks.com/readbook_text/Bibliotheca_Cornubiensis_1000398242/19

So unless the wagons and track were already in place on that day, we can't really use the written date in the photo to determine the time of the scene.

Archived