Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Apprentice

andyram

No.

It stopped being about sensible candidates a while ago. Now it's just a freak show.

Maybe it is time this once staple BBC programme  is 'shunted' into the siding that is Channel 4  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Every year I watch this "show" and every year I hope that the "candidates" are better than previously.  Every year, I wind up concluding that they are even worse, more brainless, more argumentative, more arrogant, and more egotistical than the last lot. Every year, I swear that I won't be watching it again.  Every year I do.........

One wonders if any of these people, after the show is over, mention they've been on it in their CV's....

Check 'youtube' for old episodes - That would be an insight for a prospective employer.

One wonders if any of these people, after the show is over, mention they've been on it in their CV's....

Check 'youtube' for old episodes - That would be an insight for a prospective employer.

What I will say is the insufferable Selina Waterman Smith from the last series is still openly slagging off the show, and fellow candidates, via her Twitter feed!!

A very long time ago, maybe the first series, this programme was pretty good, with genuinely intelligent participants, but then the "it makes better TV" factor kicked-in, and the producers realised that a bunch of incompetent egomaniacs would have wider market appeal. It has been irritating rubbish ever since.

K

You had to laugh when they went into the Mediterranean Supermarket, After dash to get there, I spoke to you on the phone? 'tagine?, you know, big pot?. Shown packet of tahini. 'Oh, er', sinking feeling.

'African Black Soap?', shown packet of soup. Blown right outta the water.

Rebecca must have seen the whole thing slipping away at that point.

Worth watching for moments like that alone.

• RMweb Premium

The buying task was indeed an absolute hoot, and I was laughing like a drain while watching it in my hotel room while away from home for a couple of nights visiting - I was laughing so loud that I woke up my wife, who was so bored with the whole thing that she'd fallen asleep.

So when is the task to organise a p!ss up in a brewery going to be done - I think that these clowns would be good at that.  "now what do we need - ah yes, some food, some soft drinks, oh and what IS a brewery anyway?  Well we can look it up on the internet"  Oh yes, and also "I need to obtain a load of bevvy on the cheap for my dad, as he's a boozer".  OMG, that Northern woman with the black hair is a real PITA who seems to really wear her background on her sleeve - she couldn't even organise said event if were held in Thwaites's.

Ignoramus of the day award goes to the cretin that said "Morocco? is that in Turkey" 

I do think younger generations are not required to know stuff these days.

I worked with someone who professed to have a Geography degree a few years ago - then she asked me if I knew where Iberia was, and I began to doubt her qualifications and CV.

• RMweb Premium

A bit like the American election - the winner will be the percieved least bad choice (thus has it been for some years now.  I only remember two candidates who really stood out in my memory as having any real nouse, and one was Tom Pallereau, who displayed the sort of determination that Sugar was looking for, when he appeared to be falling at the last hurdle, then mentioned almost as in passing how he tried and tried to get his product accepted in Asda by sheer determination and sitting there and not taking no for an answer.  The other was the first winner, Tim Campbell, who again was able to demonstrate some really positive qualities - the others are all totally forgettable and forgotten.

I didn't quite understand the reasons why the person who was supposed to be buying 4 jet-skis ended up buying none.

Was it a conspiracy because 4 x £15000 would have won the task and Sugar wanted to ditch certain contestants; and that would have been impossible if they had been on the victorious team?

• RMweb Premium

I didn't quite understand the reasons why the person who was supposed to be buying 4 jet-skis ended up buying none.

On screen it was down to the fact that he wanted them for business use, not personal, and there were potential warranty issues over commercial use - Claude actually picked this up as a positive aspect of the team referring the buyer back to the dealer, and I agree as they probably hadn't been briefed on the availability of these warranties, and also didn't want to offer something outside of their brief.  I suspect that had they said that it would be fine, clinched the sale, then the buyer might have backed out. 

• RMweb Premium

Goodness me, TV being rigged,  Perish the thought.  :onthequiet:

Never - see my comments on the thread about some of these antique shows - and they are based on facts and personal experiences.

Archived