Airbrush thinner is expensive so MIY (Mix it yourself)

This is something I'm very interested in. Branded acrylic thinners works out none too cheap (given that it's mainly water!) overall.

It'd be great to read some up to date formulae for thinners and AB cleaner as all the ones I've found online are years old and feature substances that don't have the same ingredients anymore. Windolene for example. Pounds saved on these things can be spent elsewhere on other railway bits ha ha.

If anyone can point out a good supply of isopropyl alcohol I'd be very grateful. Chemists don't stock rubbing alcohol (none of the many I've been in do anyway). The only shops I've managed to find it in are Maplins and electronics shops but it works out blummin expensive if you were going to use a lot of it. 

It seems the internet is again the only solution but given that paint has to be courier'd now how do they send it? I've seen some cheap posting rates which can't surely be couriers can they?

• RMweb Gold

I've used lincs biofuels in the past but can't seem to find them on ebay at the mo'.  There are plenty of suppliers on there offerring free postage and varying sizes of IPA and rubbing alcohol eg lucemill (not used them so not a recommendation).

They can send it in any van courier service.  I'm guessing RM won't take it.  The problem with Royal Mail is that some domestic mail goes by air but when you send a parcel they've no real way of knowing at the office you send it from whether it'll go by air or not, so basically anything that's banned by air is banned by RM.

• RMweb Gold

I just buy and use a large bottle of Windex...Windolene in the UK....for thinning,preventing tip-dry and cleaning when airbrushing acrylics. I use Vallejo acrylics almost exclusivly for airbrushing....the odd time I use Humbrol or Model Master enamels I use regular turpentine or Testors airbrush thinner.

A large bottle of Windex/Windolene lasts months for me...so pretty cheap.

I got my big bottle of IPA from ebay .If not ,Tamiya big bottles are not too bad .I also use Liquitex airbrush medium to mix acrylics other than Tamiya .Tamiya is a resin based acrylic and different to all the others .

Archived