'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi...

Here is the unloading platform in situ......

post-20610-0-38822800-1544484724_thumb.jpg

.....must also menton to that I continue experimenting with the heritage mounting board as an alternative 'hard standing concrete'...........have begun to paint a weak, slightly textured artex layer to the surface in 'blocks' to represent 'shuttered' poured areas...will let you know....always can revert to the existing foam if it doesn't look good...?

Will post further updates as and when.....

Regards always....

Bob

(updated - to correct spelling)

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5

Evening my friends....Hope your Tuesday has gone well...?

Have 'chalked up' my first full Christmas Lunch of the season, when SVR colleagues came to the nurseries Tea Room for said meal.....the way that the plans and invites have manifested....this will see me nearly akin to 'The Vicar of Dibley' with a Christmas dinner  most days for the next week....

Any rate here's an update of Cambrian Street as it stands at the moment and the immediate plans to progress......

Have placed a selection (just for effect at the moment) of the Skytrex range of barrels, bales and boxes on to the platform and in the rear of a lorry.....

post-20610-0-10561900-1544553408_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-32955000-1544553566_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-74418600-1544553751_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-17077200-1544553863_thumb.jpg

as mentioned previously, intend to see whether there is a viable alternative to the foam currently used for the concrete hard standing, even though I am quite happy with it, always open to alternatives and to test techniques......

here I have cut to the same profile a piece of Heritage mounting board, which is a good deal more robust that the foam, which is quite brittle.....

marked out areas of 'shuttered' of poured concrete and brushed on a weak covering of ready mixed filler, not too wet as to soak the board but to ease it's spread.....will cover the entire area and see how it looks, always can add further 'texture' before painting if required or I decide to carry this through.......

post-20610-0-49555600-1544553283_thumb.jpg

The main station area will be in later plans as I really wish to obtain a greater degree of experience in modelling before moving on to platforms, station buildings, canopies and associated infrastructures...so with that in mind the next area that is likely to see development will be the engine shed and later the turntable installation.....

My thinking is that these areas will include using all the techniques, kind guidance and advice that I've gained.kindly been given and built up during the goods yard construction can be used on the MPD area as well as new techniques when it comes to installing inspection pits and the turntable, which will require (courage to) break into the baseboards, although the turntable is planned to be a surface GWR type rather than a deep pit......

post-20610-0-59484800-1544554015_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-08436600-1544554141_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-47344000-1544554273_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-91376600-1544554407_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-12349100-1544554534_thumb.jpg

But that is for the future.....

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

That all looks good Bob, I bought some skytrex stuff at the weekend, they do make some good stuff.

Steve.

Hi....

Thanks Steve...feels like I am making steady progress....and enjoying the process....

I've seen the guys on the Skytrex stand for a few years now at both the NEC and Stafford Shows, their range increases each time and they are such friendly folks too.....

Was the Peterborough Show okay and is there a forum on here about it as there is regarding aspects of Warley...?

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

The Peterborough show was great Bob, some really good layouts and not as busy as I've found at Warley although I went on a Sunday which I think is generally quieter. I bumped in to a couple of people on here and came away with a couple of bargains and loads of ideas.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi.....

For a while I have had the idea to place a lifting hoist (Wills Kit).....or an adaption of said kit

post-20610-0-95071400-1544566769.jpg

placed outside the single road shed....over an inspection pit

post-20610-0-17364300-1544566988_thumb.jpg

any good or out of place....?

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 2

I think it's a bit on the large side for a small shed Bob. Maybe sheer legs would be a better fit.

Regards Lez.

Cheers Lez....

Thinking something along the lines of here at good old Aber...but this was a double road shed...

post-20610-0-34940000-1544570213_thumb.jpg

...maybe it's not suitable though...

Regards always....

Bob

Could be a bit big for your shed Bob, however as suggested you could always build it, it's all good practice, then if you dont like it sell it or keep it for another project. Or build a micro layout around it  ;)

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi....

I think that's where the biggest fault in my life has been....I've always been too soft and given stuff away rather than selling it on...hence the holes in my shoes, worn down shirt collars and cuffs with only dripping sandwiches for tea...!  :sungum:

Could site the hoist at the larger main shed...?

post-20610-0-49901400-1544610790.jpg

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

I think it would be fine on the road with the two engines on, that wouldn't be unlike the photo you posted.

Steve.

Hi....

I would place it on the right hand road just outside the shed with a pit beneath...as both yourself and Lez have suggested I could build one for experience in building kits, place it there and if it looks out of place, pass it on.....

Regards and thanks always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Evening all....hope all are well....?

Just a small update........ in line with my wish to be open with you as I progress, whether it be 'good or not so good'.........

working on the goods yard, one of the first ventures was as you know involved trying to find a passable resemblance for a concrete hard standing after searching through a number of alternatives. plumping eventually on a thin hard foam which had a granulated  'sugar like' texture but once painted gave a fair representation and remains in situ.......(shown here)

post-20610-0-72033800-1544641932_thumb.jpg

thereafter 'just for fun' decided to continue the search for an alternative.....both to see whether indeed there was one that I would be both comfortable with as an alternative and be able to construct within my the limits of my modelling skills......

so came across a more robust material, widely available in art shops.....Heritage Mounting Board......

..........this was cut to the same profile as the foam although being slightly thicker

rather than directly painting the surface, a surface texture was required to that of the flat board.......so painted a covering of premixed filler....this required thinning with water and although when applied appeared to be fine.....found that after 24hrs, most probably the water used as a thinner had penetrated into the board and caused it to warp as shown here......as this is not acceptable decide to try again......

post-20610-0-62930200-1544642636_thumb.jpg

this time rather than filler.....unthinned artext had been used...this seemed to dry rapidly when being applied...will see how it looks later and report....

post-20610-0-42821600-1544642726_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-46628800-1544642848_thumb.jpg

Regards always.......

Bob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

All you needed to do was paint the other side Bob. That would have pulled it straight again. I do it with the green laminate flooring underlay that I use as a track bed. It's very unstable so I paint it with 50/50 PVA/water mix. It dishes so bad it looks like a skateboard park. Once it's dry I turn it over and do the other side and it pulls it all down flat again.

Regards Lez.

• Informative/Useful 1

All you needed to do was paint the other side Bob. That would have pulled it straight again. I do it with the green laminate flooring underlay that I use as a track bed. It's very unstable so I paint it with 50/50 PVA/water mix. It dishes so bad it looks like a skateboard park. Once it's dry I turn it over and do the other side and it pulls it all down flat again.

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez....learning from the consequences of various techniques plus the tips that yourself and all provide on RMweb is what I appreciate so greatly and the fact that we all can develop further skills from the interaction.....

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Evening guys.....

An update on searching for alternatives with regard to a fair representation of concrete hard standing....... 

.......painting the reverse of the Heritage mounting board with a 50/50 mix of PVA/water has indeed mostly rectified the warping in both cases of the mounting board and should be flat enough to stick down with a contact adhesive or PVA......

the applied Artex and ready mixed filler to the Heritage board surface have both dried without any sign of cracking or flaking either, whether it remains a viable alternative for a representation of a hard concrete standing will only be determined when painted and weathered......

there is a final test piece (shown here) ......

this is the same foam board but to which Artex has been applied.....this has dried to a flat surface, will update when painted if this is any good (may be wasting my time but we'll see).......

post-20610-0-86053300-1544724068_thumb.jpg

Regards always......

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi......

There is a local saying in these parts of the western Midlands of....... 'Goin' around The Wrekin'...specifically taking an earth of a time to achieve something which in the end is simple or achieve very little in the process....... and this may be the case here when attempting to find an alternative to the existing 'concrete effect' hard standing.......

I have settled on using the foam board with an Artex covering as this is light, but seems stronger than just the existing painted foam.....so will paint it up in the same manner as previously and see how it end up and will post the results for you to view and comment on........I'm sure it'll just  boil down to the surface finish. whether it be the applied Artex or the foam itself..?

In the end it may just be an exercise in experimentation...but at least we'll all know......!

The shuttering joins have been marked with pencil at the moment...will paint individually as previously......

post-20610-0-79572000-1544730396_thumb.jpg

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi Guys.....

Hope all are well and keeping warm!

Just to say that in the end I will be sticking with the existing piece of foam in this instance, the secondary piece although okay, finished off quite 'flat' in texture and colour, the artex most probably soaking up the paint with a loss of definition as a result, may adapt this technique for the hard standing around the engine shed pits (these much smaller any rate) .....the has been a good exercise in painting if nothing further.....

Take care tomorrow guys.....

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Evening my dear friends.......Hope you are all okay and  only a week to go before the 'Big Man' himself calls.....!

You may recall that I'd managed to get the methodology straight in my head and the requirements for using wire in tube to control the crossover within the good yard.......

shown here........

post-20610-0-09822500-1545160245_thumb.jpg

well having placed all the various 'bits' into position ..... I really can't understand why (or I have actually achieved this)......but look this happens......it works.....!

Only need to connect the wire to the lever frame now and I am done......(other points within the goods yard are intended to operated from the remaining three levers...

I am so chuffed....!

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1