'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Evening guys.....Hope all are well......?

Whilst I still continue on the goods platform and yard area......

I am also beginning to work on the nearby crossover in the siding......I intend once again to use wire in tube point control.....this time attempting to throw two points from one lever action....?

If my logic is correct with regard to push / pull requirements through the cranks.........

I hope this is the correct flow for the crossover (orange arrowhead), when the lever is pulled back and the base of the lever throws forwards (green arrowhead)....the two points should jointly move....I have to determine the power of the 'throw' and consequently whether the inner or outer hole within the crank will be required....

post-20610-0-07926200-1543877982_thumb.jpg

Regards always.....

Bob

post-20610-0-07926200-1543877982_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yup it looks about right Bob. When you set it up have everything in the center position mate it makes it a lot easier. You can use off cuts of wire to hold the point blades in the center and put the lever in the middle of it's throw and take all the measurements to the center of each component.

Regards Lez.  

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Steve.....How was Peterborough,,,?

You're welcome Bob, the show is this weekend, hopefully I'm going on the Sunday. I'm interested to see how you get on with the 'wire in the tube' I've always thought about doing that. 

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

Evening.....

A quick update on this evenings 'Cambrian Hour'........

Have positioned the lever frame into its intended position and temporarily fixed into place.........

post-20610-0-90470500-1543961106_thumb.jpg

The cork base has been channeled away to allow the tube carrying the control wires to pass beneath the tracks and connect with the cranks which will throw the crossover points and the adjacent catch point, operated respectively from levers one and two on the frame.....

post-20610-0-98734500-1543961433_thumb.jpg

Have also tested with some spent tube that two control tubes will fit neatly and snugly within the said channel....and thankfully this appears to be the case......

post-20610-0-49453800-1543961578_thumb.jpg

Will update further later with either progress or 'impending doom'....!

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

I really like the effect on the goods platform. It's looking good.

Thanks Charlie for the kind comments.....

......will be doing further work on the platform as soon as I obtain a couple of fresh fibreglass pencils tomorrow on my day off.....

Slowly moving ahead with this layout....I'm back into the hobby after a 45 year gap and really enjoying the process......

I am receiving much appreciated, fantastic assistance, guidance and support from many guys here on RMweb....couldn't have done it without them....

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi Guys....Hope you're all well.....?

Whilst I am happy with the current concrete effect part of the yard, using the foam board........and remains in place as shown here.......

post-20610-0-40056100-1544116903_thumb.jpg

I am always 'up' for testing different techniques, for both my own peace of mind and also to post on here how I get on for all to view and for you good guys to comment on too....?

Taking the train from Stourbridge on a trip to Worcester for stint of 'Christmas shopping' today.... I called into my favourite art shop in Foregate Street (PSW Paper and Print - if you are local I can highly recommend these good people for all sorts of art and craft materials) located by the station and obtained a couple of sheets of Heritage mounting board and will attempt to adapt as an alternative to the existing foam board.....

post-20610-0-78268900-1544116988_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-03338100-1544117041_thumb.jpg

This Heritage Board is a good deal stronger and seemingly more stable than the rather lighter, brittle. 'flatter' foam but not possessing the ' granulated sugar-like' texture, I am going to test this board by thinly coating with perhaps artex or a sprinkling of silver sand into the applied paint..., then score the 'expansion joints' 

I have used the foam as a template for the board, so it is the same size and is shown fitted into position....

Will let you know how I get on.....

Take care.....

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi...Forgot to add, that the fibre glass pens have arrived in the post today too...so work on the goods platform can continue as well....all go here you know!

Regards always

Bob

• Like 2

Evening Guys.....

A quick update.......

'Armed' with a new fibreglass pencil.....have taken off a further amount of the applied dark grey paint.......

Will apply the lighter grey coating and allow to dry before removing to a slightly less degree than the darker grey application, before moving on to applying the final washes.....

post-20610-0-71335800-1544126334_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-88977900-1544126407_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-19135400-1544126463_thumb.jpg

As an aside just noticed that on the pencil's packaging, the item has the very grand title of a 'Burnishing Brush'......!

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Hi.....

The lighter grey coat has been applied and will be allowed to dry overnight and through tomorrow, will get down to some further 'scrubbing' after that....

post-20610-0-84031900-1544132154_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-76125100-1544132200_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-61005600-1544132312_thumb.jpg

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Give it another scrub first Bob, paying attention to the edges mate and there's a bit that's got too much paint on at the bottom of the last pic, just right of the center line, that needs going over again. All in all though Bob its very good. Before you go to the weathering layer just touch each "bolt" head with a dark rust colour don't worry if it seeps into the wood a bit as long as it's not too much then go with a very very weak 3 parts 29 to 1 part 33 once it's mixed add twice the volume of thinners and apply with either a rag cloth or a sponge and that should be it done.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1

Give it another scrub first Bob, paying attention to the edges mate and there's a bit that's got too much paint on at the bottom of the last pic, just right of the center line, that needs going over again. All in all though Bob its very good. Before you go to the weathering layer just touch each "bolt" head with a dark rust colour don't worry if it seeps into the wood a bit as long as it's not too much then go with a very very weak 3 parts 29 to 1 part 33 once it's mixed add twice the volume of thinners and apply with either a rag cloth or a sponge and that should be it done.

Regards Lez.  

Hi Lez...

Thanks for the posting.....can see now as you mention that the covering does remain 'heavy' in one or two spots and will attend to that excess grey before moving on....the grey too is appearing a little 'pink' here on these images,  but that thankfully is just the camera resolution, in 'real life' it is a good light grey colour......

Have a great weekend.....

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Evening All.....

Hope all's well and if you attended, the Peterborough Show was good......

on return from work.....gave the goods platform another 'scrubbing'.....seems to have come up well....and will begin picking out the 'bolts' next......

post-20610-0-25688200-1544296258_thumb.jpg

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 2

'A touch of rust'.......

'Santa beckons' at Arley tomorrow so it may be beginning of next week before the staining takes place.....

post-20610-0-19950600-1544303093_thumb.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 4

Evening all.....Hope all are well....?

Here are a few images and a video of the coating applied to the surface of the good platform.....

will allow to dry and see how it looks, before deciding whether to add a further coating......?

post-20610-0-96327400-1544479398_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-09032900-1544473551_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-49756200-1544473755_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-81298600-1544473972_thumb.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't think it needs anymore Bob. If anything I would give it a very gentle scrub with wire wool coz it has a bit of a shine to it and then plant it and do no more until you add packing crates and barrels and figures then add a few spills of this and that to it. 

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

I don't think it needs anymore Bob. If anything I would give it a very gentle scrub with wire wool coz it has a bit of a shine to it and then plant it and do no more until you add packing crates and barrels and figures then add a few spills of this and that to it. 

Regards Lez. 

Thanks Lez....

It is thankfully drying to a matt finish....(here it is wet just after immediately applying)...but will see how it looks tomorrow when completely dry....(unsure but may add just the hint of a bit of light flock (grass growth) in some of the joints)....?

....have the barrels / crates to paint up and then stack, but do have acquire appropriate worker figures....

....with only other thing to add will be the brickwork paper to the side.....then complete the painting of surrounding setts, concrete paving etc....enjoying all this coming together.....

Will keep posting as I progress....thank you for guiding me through this mate...

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1