Reflections on Peak Forest

Fordbank

Railway modelling has taken somewhat of a back seat of late, and as a result Peak Forest Revived has been in abeyance. But with the prospect of the builders of Blackmill entering the exhibition circuit with Bankfield - a model based very much on the prototype at Peak Forest - and the soon to be released RTR models of the iconic ICI hopper wagons, it is perhaps an appropriate time to breath some fresh life into Peak Forest Revived.

So here are a couple of photos to get the thread rolling.....

IMG_0605.(2).jpg

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

Edited by Fordbank
To restore photos after Great Outage.
  • Like 14

Heritage Livery Special.

Class 47 North Star and LMS liveried inspection saloon traverse the freshly hoovered Peak Forest.

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

(Oooops the relay cabinets seemed to have gone up the tube!)

Edited by Fordbank
Restore some photos to this thread.
  • Like 5

'10/12/2003. Newly constructed MJA box wagons arrive at Peak Forest at the end of their journey from Poland. They will be set down by DRS 33207 in Peak Forest South Sidings to await tripping to Tunstead Sidings where they will be added to other MJAs to form a new rake for Freightliner.'

IMG_2941(2).JPG

IMG_2942(2).JPG

Edited by Fordbank
Restore some photos to this thread.
  • Like 3

Hi Andy

Good to see you back mate. Must be something about Peak Forest based layouts taking a break. PDW has been on the back burner for a while. I've spent the summer doing some much needed work on the house but, it's coming to an end now so hopefully I'll be back in the loft very soon.

Thoroughly enjoyed the new pictures

All the best mate

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, 

Really glad you have picked up this thread again.

It's good to know you are out there, even if you are not currently posting on Cromford, or Grindleford.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yep, still sneaking a quick peek (or should that be Peak) :D

Sadly no real urge to go modelling at the moment, but enjoying watching you carry on with yours. It's really looking great.

Al.

Hi Andy,

Yep, still sneaking a quick peek (or should that be Peak) :D

Sadly no real urge to go modelling at the moment, but enjoying watching you carry on with yours. It's really looking great.

Al.

Heard you have been bagging the odd Peak yourself. Plockton & Skye are two of my very favoutite places.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Heard you have been bagging the odd Peak yourself. Plockton & Skye are two of my very favoutite places.

Andy

Oh yeah!

One of my favourite bits of Scotland. This year we clambered up the foothills of Blà Bheinn on Skye, and we also drove up the Bealach na Bà pass on Applecross, and then took the walk to the TV transmitter right at the top.

The view was amazing:

post-17302-0-57920400-1509025058_thumb.jpg

That's looking across the Applecross peninsula to Raasay, with Skye behind.

Al.

• Like 10

Embarrassing Arrival...

IMG_2964.JPG

Peak Forest Revived is supposed to reflect the period 1993 to 2003, but wasn't 33207 only painted into WCRC livery in 2004?

Personally I think the livery particularly suits the class 33, and I admit to giving way to temptation.......and it's not a new locomotive, only a repaint of 33207 which already resides on PF.

And anyway, WCRC have never been the best at keeping to the rules.

Edited by Fordbank
  • Like 2

Enough of this posturing and posing of trains!

Time to get back to some model building.....or more precisely modelling a building.

But there aren't many buildings to model on Peak Forest Revived. And one's been done, so it had better be 'the other one' - Peak Forest Station building.

Ah, were life so simple.....

But which Peak Forest Station?

The backstory for Peak Forest Revived is that the vigorous campaign against the closure of the Peak Line in 1967 &1968 was successful and like the other ex-Midland line over the hills, the Settle and Carlisle, it remained open to passenger traffic. It too would likely have been a focus for tourism and railway nostalgia.

So on Peak Forest Revived the station was not closed to passengers on 3rd March 1967. 

But for how long? 

And with such few paying passengers, if it were to avoid total closure then it would likely have become an unmanned halt.

What then would have happened to the platforms and building?

Would the lowly Peak Forest mirror the fabulous regeneration found on the Settle and Carlisle?

Probably not. But the removal of platforms and platform faces would likely have not occurred.

And as for the rebuilding into train offices which took place in 1989/90 (?), this too may have taken a different course.

So just what might the station building on Peak Forest Revived have looked like at the time the signal box was refurbished in 2000?

Peak Forest Station prior to World War Two:

PF station. 1930s or before.jpg

Peak Forest Station in 1960s.

PF Station. 1960s.jpg

Peak Forest Station in 1980s.

859780768_PFStation.1980ish.jpg.4be63790b7685d7d414f68fa0de2a808.jpg

Peak Forest Station in November 2004.

PF Station. 2004.Nov.jpg

Edited by Fordbank

Good to meet you at Hazel Grove exhibition on Saturday Andy. Re the station building did you get to see the N gauge version that Pete Latham had with him on the Lymebrook layout near to the entrance/exit passageway to the hall?

Cheers Paul

Good to meet you at Hazel Grove exhibition on Saturday Andy. Re the station building did you get to see the N gauge version that Pete Latham had with him on the Lymebrook layout near to the entrance/exit passageway to the hall?

Cheers Paul

Yep, Pete showed me his model. He had constructed it from just a handful of hard copy photographs as he has no access to digital media. Strangely I too have a part completed model of Peak Forest station in a plastic box. It's just twice the size (00), and "informed" by several dozens of digital images. 

The emergence of my station building from its box is long overdue. See the posts to follow. 

Good to get to Hazel Grove Show, and to meet you too. Hoping Speedlow won't be too long in its box.

Cheers,

Andy

Russian Doll Peak Forest station buildings all we need now is an O gauge and T gauge version. I went up to Peak on Monday for the afternoon and the Up line outside outside the building from the point leading to Up Sdgs, under the bridge and another couple of yards or so has been renewed and all fresh looking concrete sleepered track and ballast now.

Yes hoping to recommence some work on Speedlow soon. Picked up a 37671 to make into a Buxton 37/5 number to be decided once I have consulted my livery date notes but will be a Construction branded tractor!

Cheers Paul

Edited by pharrc20

Russian Doll Peak Forest station buildings all we need now is an O gauge and T gauge version. I went up to Peak on Monday for the afternoon and the Up line outside outside the building from the point leading to Up Sdgs, under the bridge and another couple of yards or so has been renewed and all fresh looking concrete sleepered track and ballast now.

Yes hoping to recommence some work on Speedlow soon. Picked up a 37671 to make into a Buxton 37/5 number to be decided once I have consulted my livery date notes but will be a Construction branded tractor!

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul.

Further to your comments about new track ( - and for those modellers with an interest in permanent way equipment ) yet one more photo of Peak Forest station:-

post-27675-0-54954200-1509579708_thumb.jpg

And re Construction branded Buxton tractors, surely you have to at least start with 37688 'Great Rocks'.

Cheers, Andy

PS Can Russian dolls not be to the same scale?

• Like 3