Reflections on Peak Forest

Fordbank

And now, as promised in the Spring (see post 20/04/18 ).....

Peak Forest - Small Structures Series 2.

post-27675-0-80542500-1540248548_thumb.jpg

Another case of life copying art?

post-27675-0-80542500-1540248548_thumb.jpg

These two portacabins have been placed on the east  (Up) side opposite the old station. Does anyone know whether they portend the construction of new traction facilities ( Freightliner at one time considered its own fuelling point to mirror the EWS facilities on the Down side); or perhaps a serious attempt at last to sort the chronic track plan problems; or is this just part of the ongoing fiddling by Network Rail?

Edited by Fordbank
  • Like 2

No Access!

post-27675-0-92545400-1540288344_thumb.jpg

post-27675-0-32114000-1540288390_thumb.jpg

No. Not another example of corporate secrecy - just co-incidence!

Sadly to visitors to Peak Forest the footpath from the road bridge down to the Down Sidings, has not only been temporarily closed but very comprehensively barricaded.

post-27675-0-61827400-1540288425_thumb.jpg

The path was an excellent viewpoint for the ever changing array of locomotives and wagons held in the stabling sidings.

The cause of this misfortune is the corrosion of the footbridge which spans the little cutting through which  a narrow gauge track once ran from Bold Venture Quarry to a loading chute for a standard gauge siding in Peak Forest yard. Moreover this does not seem to be a case Health and Safety gone mad: there appears a real risk of the concrete slabs forming the footway falling through the two supporting girders. But how long might it be before this well used footbridge is re-instated? If ever...

PS. An upside?  To paraphrase the modelling press, "Add Realism - Model a Disused Footpath".

Probably not on Peak Forest Revived though; it's thankfully out of my period.

But maybe a new entry into 'Small Structures'....

Edited by Fordbank
  • Like 1

No Access!

attachicon.gifIMG_5586.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5573.JPG

Sadly to visitors to Peak Forest the footpath from the road bridge down to the Down Sidings, has not only been temporarily closed but very comprehensively barricaded.

attachicon.gifIMG_5575.JPG

The path was an excellent viewpoint for the ever changing array of locomotives and wagons held in the stabling sidings.

The cause of this misfortune is the corrosion of the footbridge which spans the little cutting through which  a narrow gauge track once ran from Bold Venture Quarry to a loading chute for a standard gauge siding in Peak Forest yard. Moreover this does not seem to be a case Health and Safety gone mad: there appears a real risk of the concrete slabs forming the footway falling through the two supporting girders. But how long might it be before this well used footbridge is re-instated? If ever...

PS. An upside?  To paraphrase the modelling press, "Add Realism - Model a Disused Footpath".

Bad Score!!

This means I'll go straight to Hazel Grove exhibition, rather than calling at Peak Forrest first.

Mind you, if the weather is OK, I'll still go!

Chris.

No Access!

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5573.JPG

IMG_5575.JPG

The cause of this misfortune is the corrosion of the footbridge which spans the little cutting through which a narrow gauge track once ran from Bold Venture Quarry to a loading chute for a standard gauge siding in Peak Forest yard. Moreover this does not seem to be a case Health and Safety gone mad: there appears a real risk of the concrete slabs forming the footway falling through the two supporting girders. But how long might it be before this well used footbridge is re-instated? If ever...

PS. An upside? To paraphrase the modelling press, "Add Realism - Model a Disused Footpath".

Oh buffers... I was planning to visit Peak this Friday or next Monday weather permitting to gets some more snaps... so the Holding Sidings are a long walk then up via Peak Dale itself.

Cheers Paul

Eeeh 'eck! No room at the stables.

The fiddle yard is filling up.

post-27675-0-12716700-1540902429_thumb.jpg

Peak Forest Revived is going to need a bigger garage!

Maybe not.

Maybe cassettes....

post-27675-0-68755000-1540902464_thumb.jpg

Sizes vary from 20cm (class 08) to 100cm ( 3-car class 158 ).

Cost from £1.20 to £6.00

post-27675-0-69697100-1540902556_thumb.jpg

Originally 15mm aluminium angle was screwed to 6mm ply cut to 46mm wide.

However at Wigan this year Simon Cullen demonstrated the obvious - the rigidity of the aluminium angle is such that a continuous wooden base is unnecessary; all that is needed are wooden tie bars to prevent the two rails from splaying. A simple benefit to longer cassettes. Doubtless most modellers know this already.

Simon simply glues the wooden tie bars to the aluminium rails. I found that an additional screw into the tie bar helps maintain the gauging during the gluing process.

post-27675-0-09320300-1540902495_thumb.jpg  post-27675-0-68369400-1540902515_thumb.jpg

Loading and unloading the stabling cassettes utilises a simple dock in the fiddle yard. It's just like driving trains directly onto the shelves, and the locos and their delicate weathering (yet to be undertaken!!!) remain untouched by greasy human hands.

post-27675-0-11616900-1540905066_thumb.jpg

post-27675-0-53574500-1540905302_thumb.jpg

post-27675-0-25946600-1540905326_thumb.jpg

I had hoped that accurate construction would ensure electrical contact between dock and cassette thereby avoiding the use of bulky bulldog clips. However reliability proved only 80%ish.

My solution is a bit of copper glued to the end of a biro which is inserted vertically to guarantee electrical continuity....

post-27675-0-76653300-1540905342_thumb.jpg

post-27675-0-66348800-1540905358_thumb.jpg

post-27675-0-54046200-1540902541_thumb.jpg

post-27675-0-75485700-1540902579_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Andy, this was the scene last Saturday on my way to the Hazel Grove Show, and YES, that is SNOW at 9am.

attachicon.gifIMG_6113.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6111.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6114.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6116.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6120.JPG

And at 3pm brilliant sunshine.

attachicon.gifIMG_6127.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6126.JPG

Andy you win the "First Cuckoo" prize for the first snow at Peak Forest.

I dropped by on Monday 29th as I was out catching the last of the Autumn sunshine on my bike.

• Like 1

That was a stroke of luck then. I was up at Peak Forest on the 20th and due to lack of parking I parked up at Peak Dale and walked down through the fields.Wonder if it will get repaired or shut for good?

Plenty of trains around including a couple of celebrity repaints.

post-18515-0-52874900-1540990508_thumb.jpeg

post-18515-0-55017400-1540990521_thumb.jpeg

Does seem a bit strange seeing our locos up at PF in abundance.

I do like the look of your cassette system. I've thought about it a few times as it would free up some space in the fiddle yard for longer trains. Certainly some food for thought.

Layouts looking great by the way.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 7

Throwback Thursday

Many months ago a pair of Class 20s were acquired with the intention of eventually upgrading them (high intensity headlights ,etc) to 1999ish condition to replicate RHTT and empty stock workings.

However whilst researching PHV limestone hopper operations through Peak Forest I came across several photos of the hoppers worked by pairs of Choppers. And how fine they looked...

post-27675-0-58901900-1541673973_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of Jon Gavin

post-27675-0-44256600-1541673157_thumb.jpg

post-27675-0-68474600-1541673254_thumb.jpg

post-27675-0-74882200-1541673172_thumb.jpg

I suspect a second BR Blue Chopper, suitably heavily weathered, will find its way onto the future acquisitions list; but also a future dilemma - whether to update or leave in 1980s spec for yet to come 'Throwback Hopper Workings".

• Like 12

Ah, you've beaten me to it. I've been meaning to dig my choppers out for a run on my hoppers.

They certain look good though.

Unfortunately the hoppers have given the excuse to buy even more loco's

Peaks, 25s, and 40's spring to mind as well as the 47's and 31's but luckily I already possess some of those.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 4

Ah, you've beaten me to it. I've been meaning to dig my choppers out for a run on my hoppers.

They certain look good though.

Unfortunately the hoppers have given the excuse to buy even more loco's

Peaks, 25s, and 40's spring to mind as well as the 47's and 31's but luckily I already possess some of those.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

At least it's slightly less damaging on the bank balance to look towards the past at Peak Forest. Given the amazing proliferation of new liveries that have put in an appearance this year, it would be a dear job trying to keep up with the current railway scene. 

Great to see you are still following the Reflections thread. It sounds as if the Big Trains kept you pretty busy over the summer.

Cheers,

Andy

Throwback Thursday

Many months ago a pair of Class 20s were acquired with the intention of eventually upgrading them (high intensity headlights ,etc) to 1999ish condition to replicate RHTT and empty stock workings.

However whilst researching PHV limestone hopper operations through Peak Forest I came across several photos of the hoppers worked by pairs of Choppers. And how fine they looked...

attachicon.gifPF.Chinley.20104.20004.Jon_Gavin.jpg

Photo courtesy of Jon Gavin

attachicon.gifIMG_5670.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5673.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5675 (2).JPG

I suspect a second BR Blue Chopper, suitably heavily weathered, will find its way onto the future acquisitions list; but also a future dilemma - whether to update or leave in 1980s spec for yet to come 'Throwback Hopper Workings".

Morning Andy.

The layout is looking great.

I remember the 'Choppers' on the hoppers. I was milking cows for the CooP in Gloucestershire through the 80s, so my visits to the 'Forest were limited to holidays back in Manchester stopping at my parents.

My snow shots were during the Chopper era.

Still haven't got a scanner yet. Christmas present to me I think!!

Backdating means Peaks, including Lytham St Annes. I remember her on banking duty and then leaving on a train of ironstone tippler wagons.

That was the beauty of that time. The LMS era bogies, 4 wheeled tipplers, as well as the, then, modern 4 wheeled hoppers.

The latter were made into the double headed Class40 train.

Never got a decent shot of that, just two hurried shots at Skelton Junction,which, together with Northenden Junction, were two of my favourite local locations.

Right, coffee break over, back to doing housework stuff on my first restday.

Chris.

Morning Andy.

The layout is looking great.

I remember the 'Choppers' on the hoppers. I was milking cows for the CooP in Gloucestershire through the 80s, so my visits to the 'Forest were limited to holidays back in Manchester stopping at my parents.

My snow shots were during the Chopper era.

Still haven't got a scanner yet. Christmas present to me I think!!

Backdating means Peaks, including Lytham St Annes. I remember her on banking duty and then leaving on a train of ironstone tippler wagons.

That was the beauty of that time. The LMS era bogies, 4 wheeled tipplers, as well as the, then, modern 4 wheeled hoppers.

The latter were made into the double headed Class40 train.

Never got a decent shot of that, just two hurried shots at Skelton Junction,which, together with Northenden Junction, were two of my favourite local locations.

Right, coffee break over, back to doing housework stuff on my first restday.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Love the phrase 'milking cows for the Co-op in Gloucestershire'. Sounds bucolic but I bet it was early starts, hard work, and cow muck.

Watch out on the scanner. I bought one a few years back, but the quality on negatives was always disappointing and as a result I've used it rarely. I suspect the good ones are quite pricey.

I've pinched a couple of Choppers in the Snow shots from the web. Here's a favourite from November '85...

post-27675-0-03670000-1541763882_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 5

Hi Chris,

Love the phrase 'milking cows for the Co-op in Gloucestershire'. Sounds bucolic but I bet it was early starts, hard work, and cow muck.

Watch out on the scanner. I bought one a few years back, but the quality on negatives was always disappointing and as a result I've used it rarely. I suspect the good ones are quite pricey.

I've pinched a couple of Choppers in the Snow shots from the web. Here's a favourite from November '85...

attachicon.gifPF.Real. Great Rocks.Nov.85.jpg

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks for the tip on the scanner.

The agric job was great until the last two years . I was moved to a huge unit and we started to keep cows in all the time!!! That is just not right!!!

The estate closed and we all got made redundant in 2002. Truthfully, with the state of the industry at that time I wasn't totally disappointed!!

That is a proper snow shot!!

I have tried to get to Peak Forest twice in the past two weeks  but stuff stopped me.

I'll try again next rest days, next week.

Chris.

Yep. Throwback Thursday!

post-27675-0-31505400-1542279134.jpg

post-27675-0-45259100-1542279165_thumb.jpg

Photo: David Hills

Fabulous photo by David Hills; note Peakstone 07 in distance.

post-27675-0-24067500-1542280730_thumb.jpg

post-27675-0-08319500-1542280759_thumb.jpg

Those limestone hoppers have a lot to answer for. All that research just threw up loads of lovely old Peak Forest photos.

The limestone hoppers were around for so long that there was a healthy variety of diesel traction to power the workings from Tunstead over Cheshire Lines to Northwich. Before the Class 20s which appeared in the in the previous Throwback post, the limestone hoppers were hauled for twenty years from 1964 to 1984 by class 25s. Any Reflection on Peak Forest would therefore be incomplete without them.

{I appreciate that most readers of this thread will already be familiar with chapter 'Limestone trains from Great Rocks/Tunstead' ( www.derbysulzers.com/5274.html ) but I mention it as it provides a fine summary of the stone workings from Tunstead.}

post-27675-0-62701900-1542280779_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Yep. Throwback Thursday!

attachicon.gif25047-L.jpg

attachicon.gifPF.25144.23.11.78.David_Hills.jpg

Photo: David Hills

Fabulous photo by David Hills; note Peakstone 07 in distance.

attachicon.gifIMG_5701.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5695.JPG

Those limestone hoppers have a lot to answer for. All that research just threw up loads of lovely old Peak Forest photos.

The limestone hoppers were around for so long that there was a healthy variety of diesel traction to power the workings from Tunstead over Cheshire Lines to Northwich. Before the Class 20s which appeared in the in the previous Throwback post, the limestone hoppers were hauled for twenty years from 1964 to 1984 by class 25s. Any Reflection on Peak Forest would therefore be incomplete without them.

{I appreciate that most readers of this thread will already be familiar with chapter 'Limestone trains from Great Rocks/Tunstead' ( www.derbysulzers.com/5274.html ) but I mention it as it provides a fine summary of the stone workings from Tunstead.}

attachicon.gifIMG_5699.JPG

That is the locomotive on the Hoppers that I first came into contact with.

I, together with Mike Wiltshire, Coach Bogie of this parish, and his Dad Brian, was lucky enough to get a cab ride in a 37 down to Tunstead to bank a loaded train back up. Said train had a 25 on the front.

Brian took some cine footage of the event. The video transcription is still one of my treasured possessions!!

The layout just gets better and better!!!

You really are getting the atmosphere right!

Chris.

• Like 1