Reflections on Peak Forest

Fordbank

Here

I have a couple more photos of progress, but PC problems are preventing me uploading them at the moment.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for the link above. I should have worked out where all that lovely detail came from. A case f reality mirroring art.

Surprised you weren't tempted to leave it in Cut and Shut livery. A truly quirky short working!

• 2 weeks later...

Station construction at Peak Forest - a 150 year anniversary!

Peak Forest Station 1867 (NB the wooden doorframes as formers for the stonework.)

iPad Camera Roll 2013.10.20 309.jpg

Peak Forest Station 2017  - new platforms under construction.

IMG_3364.JPG

I do worry that at current construction rates Peak Forest Revived may take a further 150 years to complete.  Still we're always being told we are living longer...

Edited by Fordbank
To restore photos after Great Outage.
  • Like 3

Some New Year progress - wet winter days by the wood stove prove productive for modelling.

The platform still awaits some detailing of the brickwork along the edge, but the basic jigsaw structure (Mk I) is now in place....

IMG_3388.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3383.JPG

Edited by Fordbank
Restore some photos to this thread.
  • Like 13

The view from the bridge.....

8006160155_3ee98b7f5e_b.jpg

Photo David Burrell

IMG_3394 (2).JPG

Whilst not trying to mirror the real location ( both the track layout and the modelling of the platform do not follow the prototype) as the above photos show Peak Forest Revised seeks to capture the distinct  atmosphere of the real Peak Forest.

Edited by Fordbank
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More than the odd bit of wheelbashing?

IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_3514.JPG

Not quite sure exactly what type of wagon servicing or repair is going on here in the freezing cold of South Sidings (07/02/18). Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

But there is no lack of precedent: prior to the setting up of the refuelling point the odd siding behind Peak Forest Station has been used for informal wagon repairs for nearly 100 years.

Edited by Fordbank
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall a stack of new looking wheels axles with bearing fitted by the fuel store about ten years ago.

I used to live near by and cycled past a couple of times a month.

I don't know what they were used for, but presumably the would be for repairs?

What always puzzled me I could never see any lifting gear to raise the wagons to swap the wheels out.

Edited by Argos

I too have seen plenty of wheelsets but never seen much evidence of repairs. Wagons for repair used to parked at the end of the fueling road. The original pair of sidings that used to be on the same site saw all manner of wagons awaiting repair from Tarmac, Peakstone and BRT PGA hoppers to BR MSV and HTVs to Grainflow PAAs. However locos seemed to be rare there but I did buy a photo of 37259 parked up on the rear siding with one of the nose bonnet hatches open and more interestingly a short rake of Blue Circle PCAs.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That’s strange as that had already been repaintedin DB schenker. Maybe they took the old style logos and names off and gave it a steam clean

And it looks like the name plate has been removed.

Cheers

Mick

Good photo that appears to be the delivery of the ex Hall Aggregates PHA hoppers to work out of RMC Dove Holes following the cessation of the Hall traffic down south. And the poorly 31 that had a bump.

Brilliantly informative as ever. Thanks Paul.

( PS Counting down the days now until PHV Day Zero!)

Brilliantly informative as ever. Thanks Paul.

( PS Counting down the days now until PHV Day Zero!)

PHV Zero Day could be well anyday. My bank balance is poised for the first 8 wagons.... all I need is then to hotfoot it over to Ditton in the car pay the car toll for my partners car and sorted hopefully!

Paul

PHV Zero Day could be well anyday. My bank balance is poised for the first 8 wagons.... all I need is then to hotfoot it over to Ditton in the car pay the car toll for my partners car and sorted hopefully!

Paul

Are you going the factory weathered route?

Cheers, Andy

• RMweb Premium

Box Fresh.

attachicon.gifIMG_3508.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3511.JPG

Looking straight out of the paintshop, immaculate 66185, gets back to work at Peak Forest. (07/02/2018)

That’s strange as that had already been repaintedin DB schenker. Maybe they took the old style logos and names off and gave it a steam clean

And it looks like the name plate has been removed.

Cheers

Mick

Forget the above.

It's not 66185, but 66165.......

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Super stuff of a much beloved location. A lottery win would've seen me up sticks from Suffolk and refurbish the (then unoccupied) former Midland Hotel into a b&b haven for cranks.

Make sure you have the the grumpy sod currently residing there getting irate at some innocent spotters for parking in his ample, of no use to him, asphalt "garden"!

C6T.

The demise of the hotel was the biggest shock to me, on making my first visit back in umpteen years.

Ah, memories. An excellent pint of Robbies bitter and a pie, coupled with 40's, 37's, 45's and 20's.

• Like 1

The demise of the hotel was the biggest shock to me, on making my first visit back in umpteen years.

Ah, memories. An excellent pint of Robbies bitter and a pie, coupled with 40's, 37's, 45's and 20's.

A pint and a pie in the Peak Dale Midland. 

Now that's what I call maintaining standards at Peak Forest.

All we get now is a plethora of 60's & 66's, and a flask of warm coffee.

• Like 1

Are you going the factory weathered route?

Cheers, Andy

I am going to get them then decide what needs doing. I did offer some feedback at end of last year to Hatton's on the three weathered sample models of which the first looked right, the second could do better and the third wtf is that yellow brown colour??

Paul

A pint and a pie in the Peak Dale Midland. 

Now that's what I call maintaining standards at Peak Forest.

All we get now is a plethora of 60's & 66's, and a flask of warm coffee.

Oh and I forgot the 07 off Peakstone!!

I go up there for 60's for my sins!

Spring is coming so I can get up there on the motorcycle, not having the Land Rover on the road.

The trainset is very tasty.

Chris.