Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce the LMS/BR 20 Ton Coke Wagon

Garethp8873

The other wagon besides the Maunsell SR Cattle wagon, the LMS 20T Coke Hopper and it's BR successor have been announced.

Four versions have been announced:

R6731 LMS 20 Ton Coke Hopper Wagon

R6731A LMS 20 Ton Coke Hopper Wagon

r6731_-r6731a.jpg

R6733 BR 20 Ton Coke Hopper Wagon

R6733A BR 20 Ton Coke Hopper Wagon

r6733_-r6733a.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

They do look very similar to the BR-built coke hoppers, with the possible exception of a vertical rivetted seam in the centre panel which is missing from the render above. Apart from the corner strapping, which looks a bit on the heavy side to me, they look very promising.

At last some nice big hopper wagons. A rake will make a nice looking train. There where 3 types of Coke hopper. Dia 150 as shown in the Hornby example, with side raves. Dia 151 which had the wooden raves on the end replaced with solid metal sheet. (An easy conversion from the Hornby one). And the 3rd type, Dia 152, in which all the wooden raves on the sides and ends where replaced by metal sheet. Some of Dia 151 where vac piped and one of Dia 152 was vac braked. In later years some had modified discharge doors for working to Pensnett. For some examples of models of these variations look at Post 100 on the Shenston Road topic here. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85490-on-shenston-road-views-from-the-park/page-4&do=findComment&comment=1731435.

Paul J.

Edited correct very basic spelling mistake.

Edited by Swindon 123

If you look further they are also doing diag 151 with a solid end

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2016/br-20-ton-coke-wagon-3-3.html

A few weeks ago they requested an internal photo so,  hopefully, the interior doors will be accurate.

History of the BR Cokes at Larkin, David & Mann, Trevor (1983a) 20ton standard Coke Hopper Wagons.  Model Railway Constructor vol. 50 (part 592) pp 478 - 483.

Drawings - Coke wood raves diag. 1/150 , Coke steel raves diag. 1/151 ; Coke all steel sides diag. 1/152 .

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brcoke

Paul

• Like 2

After the Clean Air Act coke was delivered to local coal merchants for householder deliveries ( but it was a pain to light, it tended to be used after the initial fire had got going on coal - though not as bad as briquettes ! ).

Was domestic coke delivered by ordinary mineral wagons, or did they use the larger coke wagons (coke is less dense than coal).

After the Clean Air Act coke was delivered to local coal merchants for householder deliveries ( but it was a pain to light, it tended to be used after the initial fire had got going on coal - though not as bad as briquettes ! ).

Was domestic coke delivered by ordinary mineral wagons, or did they use the larger coke wagons (coke is less dense than coal).

No idea about 'domestic' coke, but coke used to be delivered to the foundry where I worked during holidays in 'flat-bottomed' minerals. I don't think a Coke hopper would have fitted on the tippler. I mentioned in another thread that there is a photo of a single BR Coke wagon at Torre goods yard in 1963 on page 22 of 'The Heyday of the Warships'; presumably this had delivered 'domestic' coke, as it's not the sort of area known for its industry.

I agree about burning coke in an open grate; like anthracite, it needs a forced air-flow to burn properly.

• RMweb Gold

No idea about 'domestic' coke, but coke used to be delivered to the foundry where I worked during holidays in 'flat-bottomed' minerals. I don't think a Coke hopper would have fitted on the tippler. I mentioned in another thread that there is a photo of a single BR Coke wagon at Torre goods yard in 1963 on page 22 of 'The Heyday of the Warships'; presumably this had delivered 'domestic' coke, as it's not the sort of area known for its industry.

I agree about burning coke in an open grate; like anthracite, it needs a forced air-flow to burn properly.

Some domestic coke in big towns came direct from the local gas works by the coal merchant picking it up on his lorry. Our merchant was a way off from the works so he had the occasional 16 ton mineral of it to keep the stack topped up. He had a few places with coke fired boilers. Our school had a delivery direct from the gas works in a tipper lorry. We used to keep a small amount at home to mix with coal to give a slow burning fire when you didn't want it roaring away. 

The wagon at Torre may have been for loading at the gas works siding between Torquay and Paignton. The one I saw pictured at Bath Green Park was stabled near to Bath Gas Works. Both may have been for use to an industrial user who had bottom discharge facilities.

Unlike coal, there's no tar nor gas in coke, these volatiles having been driven off during the coking process.

It's the presence of these which make it much easier to ignite coal and keep it burning. Some industrial cokes will not burn at all in a domestic grate.

In the 1960s my grandparents lived in a council house in Exeter with an open coke fire,

in order to light it they had a gas poker which they lit and inserted into the coke in the grate until it got going,

cheers.

Some years ago, having  garnered a collection of 18 assorted 3H kits, unbuilt and built, I asked  Mr. Isherwood if he would produce a set of transfers. He did, and they are still available; they cover all variants, and I imagine I will be ordering another set soon for the Hornby rake! See Cambridge Custom Transfers.

If Wagon Essentials, (wagon loads) reads this forum, how about a coke load for this Hornby wagon then???!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

Now let me see, I think I might just happen to have a couple of 3-Aitch kits lurking somewhere following redundancy from a long a abandoned planned layout (I did build most of the signals for it - major Ratio kitbashing session, and a water crane, plus finished the wiring diagram, but not much else) and never acquired enough kits to make sensible formation.  So I suppose I'd better look for them?